BSD and Female Hormones.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JustAsking
    on

I’m on week 7 of the BSD, 800 calories a day one.
    I’ve lost just over 2 stone.
    But it seems this has made my hormones go to pot. Is this usual or expected?

My normal cycle has shortened and my usual ovulation bleed was very exaggerated. Along with a couple of other weird symptoms, including being convinced I had a UTI but all the tests coming back clear. I’ve been in the doctors and had an examination. She thinks that all the symptoms can be explained by the quick weight loss and the effect on oestrogen. I’m having trouble believing her and am worried about more serious things. Even though the timing absolutely points to the weight loss as explanatory!

I can see how hormones could go a bit haywire. But I also feel like my bladder is being weird. Sloshing and swooshing. Doctor said loss of fat around the organs can make everything unstable and feel odd as it moves around.

Is that a thing?

I’m considering getting back to the doctors and insisting on ruling out anything more serious but she was very convinced of her diagnosis and didn’t feel it was necessary to investigate further. And she’s probably right. But the weird bladder feelings and the dodgy menstrual cycle continues.

I guess I’m just asking if anyone else has ever experienced this type of issue while doing the BSD?

• posted by Natalie
    on

I definitely had this when I first did this diet and lost lots of weight a few years ago, my menstrual cycle went really weird. I was reassured by doing some internet research, and you’ve gone much further and seen proper doctors, so I wouldn’t worry. It’s a real thing.

• posted by JustAsking
    on

Thanks Natalie. That’s reassuring re. the menstrual changes… not just me. My current plan is to try and trust the doctor’s judgement and just relax and see how I go once I’m getting a few more calories again. I’m also doing pilates to try and stabilise things in my abdomen. The doctor said the weird sensations can be from fat loss and things moving around more.

It’s frustrating that trying to get healthier causes other problems though!

Please log in or register to post a reply.