Breakfast no breakfast

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sheytane
    on

Hi,

It seems to be known that during the sleep time the body is in “starvation” and consumes muscle as fuels that’s why bodybuilders seems to drink shakers of pure protein after wake up to stop this process.

But I can read this in the book:

“but because you will be eating two meals on those days you can get away with it. There is the added advantage that you will have fasted for about 14 hours overnight.”

Does it mean that my body (by reducing daily intakes to 800kcal) will consume muscle as well as fat I guess but the aim is not to reduce muscle mass right?

Any thoughts ?

Thank you

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

The body slows digestion during sleep, but I’m not sure that that would be considered as starvation in the true sense of the word.

I have a friend who is a powerlifter (to international standard). He has a protein shake in the morning but his goal is to have enough protein in his system to support morning training sessions, not in response to any loss of muscle during sleep.

It is true that an active person on 800 kcals per day and a fairly active lifestyle will be in serious calorie deficit and there is a risk of converting muscle to glycogen. That’s why many on here do some weight or resistance training to conserve muscle mass. You just have to see how you get on.

• posted by Sheytane
    on

Thank you Jules

• posted by Cara54
    on

I have read blogs by Dr Jason Fung who has worked with many diabetics. He is an advocate of intermittent and longer term fasting.
    My understanding from what I’ve read Is that the body will never use muscle for fuel as long as there is body fat available. I think body fat would need to drop to less than 10% before this would happen.
    Dr Fung has many videos on YouTube and a website called intensivedietarymanagement.com if anyone is interested in finding out more.

• posted by Sheytane
    on

Thank you, in between a friend told me exactly the same. I was wondering how this diet will affect my weight lifting program

Please log in or register to post a reply.