Blood Sugar Readings after Morning Shake

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Dep
    on

I started the diet 4 days ago. My fasting sugars for the last three days have been 6.6, 6.2 and 5.3 today.
    However, I am puzzled because my blood sugar reading 2 hours after my morning shake rise to about 9. I chose not to go with Optifast or similar drinks. I am making my own protein shake from GNC All Natural Whey Iso Burst. It has 40 g of protein, 170 calories, 1.5 g of carbs .
    For lunch I have a soup and small salad and take 2 units of Humalog. Three to four hours later my blood sugar is around 3.8.
    Any feedback and insights would be appreciated.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I would put money on there being hidden sugars in that powder. Have you read the ingredients? Any maltodextrin, dextrose, sucralose or other sugar-like variants ending is -ose or -ol? The carb grams can be low but that won’t stop the sugars and sugar substitutes charging into your bloodstream and spiking your BG numbers.

• posted by ismac
    on

Agree with previous comment. Oats are best, even a small portion. Add a teaspoon of chia for protein.

Please log in or register to post a reply.