Blood sugar has gone up after 8 weeks

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Gabby67
    on

Hi my blood sugars went up after I finished the 8 weeks were 5.8 now 7.0
    Should I continue ?
    My doctor Is checking if I have something else wrong ?
    Has this happen to anyone one here ?? I was pre diabetic I lost 7.5kg in 8 weeks
    Any comments much appreciated

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Have you started eating white carbs again. If so, then that is the answer. Did you go onto the 5:2 or Med diets or have you just stopped following the plan completely. Otherwise it is difficult to know.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Well done on yr loss GABBY! Are you now where you want to be weightwise? Even if you are,i think you have to still be very careful carbwise if you want to keep those good blood sugar results xx hope you get sorted!

• posted by Weissdorn
    on

This happened to me, too. My husband, who is diabetic, says its probably from medication. His doctor told him that if you take allergy medicine, cortisone or painkillers (like Ibuprofin) then that will cause your BS level to increase on a sober stomach.

• posted by MORRISONAUDREY
    on

I too have suddenly found my blood sugar has gone up. I have been on the BS 800 cal diet for nearly 6 weeks now. Lost 8 lbs quickly but then only 1 lb average a week. Lost 1 stone altogether. Had 2 naughty times. Once when I had linguine in a restaurant. Sugar next day 8.6. I returned immediately to the diet and my blood sugar dropped again. The lowest it has been is 4.3 and the highest 8.6. For the last 3 days it has been 7.2. I had 2 small onion rings on Saturday night but have kept to the diet other than that. I have had an apple each day for a few days but stayed under the 800 calls. I don’t understand why my blood sugar has gone up and is staying up. I am still on my medication which is Metformin and Glimipiride 1 gm. I am seeing the doctor onFriday and hope to reduce the medication.

Has anyone experienced this rise in fasting blood sugar first thing in the morning. It has been below 6 for most of the time but suddenly is up.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi all
    There is a lot of info on this forum about this phenomenon. If you type in dawn phenomenon or liver dump into the search box on this forum you will find an explanation of what is happening and what to do about it.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Thanks KrysiaD, I will give a brief response as it seems to be my area of ‘expertise’.

Hi all, there is a think called the Dawn Phenomenon or liver dump which happens to diabetics but particularly if you are on a restrictive diet. The body is monitoring all its processes even when you sleep. During the night the liver receives signals from the blood and in the case of your high morning readings it is because – the liver detects that you have not eaten for several hours and you are in need of energy (glucose) therefore it pumps glycogen into the blood which turns to glucose. It is called the DP because it happens close to morning time. If you were starving to death this would be a good thing, providing you with energy until you were able to have breakfast. In order to stop this from happening you should eat a light BSD friendly snack before you go to bed, (10 pm – 11 pm, whatever) which will fool the liver into assuming you are not about to starve to death so it doesn’t pump out glucose. This happens when you are on a diet simply because you are not eating at much, there is not as much glucose circulating around the body and the liver gets in a panic. You have to fool it.

Hope that is clear enough – please dont do what some have done and get up at 5 am to eat something, that is not how it works, just have a snack before bedtime. Try to keep it within your calories, I sometimes save a little from lunch or dinner to eat later so it has already been counting in my calories.

Please log in or register to post a reply.