Blood Sugar and the journey

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kris Kent
    on

I am taking lots of readings. They continually disappoint.
    Maybe I am eating too much ?
    The readings range from 6’s to 9’s whereas they were 8’s to 12’s so I am pleased about that but I can start in the morning at 7.00 am at 7.0 on the Accucheck and after walking for an hour as briskly as I can it still reads 6.9. It sometimes even goes up. But then it inexplicably drops to as low as 3.9 then on other days, 5.9 or 6.5 I can not understand.
    I try to test about half an hour after eating. As a regular gauge. But even that is erratic.
    The lack of energy is awful, I sleep after a walk no problem. But I am 7 I have had D2 for 8 years, I have lost 20kg and am determined to lick this sucker !

Would love to hear from other people about the Blood Sugar readings…..what are yours doing ?
    If some clever lass could develop a chart that we could post the readings into that would be a great reassurance. Need some rules….like only following 1 hour after food because we are looking for evidence of insulin being effective in our systems again aren’t we ?
    Well thats what I want and when about week 4 I was getting good 5’s and 6’s and now it is 6’s and 7’s I wonder if I am being careful enough.

Good luck fellow D2’s

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Kris, which week are you at now?
    Some of us started getting sugar spikes at week 4 to 5, this was explained as being caused by excess glugose being flushed from our internal organs.
    It seems to stabilise again after 2 to 3 weeks.

• posted by RodB
    on

Hi Kris
    Not sure how many weeks you’ve been on the diet and whether you’re changing medication doses…
    Personally, diagnosed D2 a few years ago, I do just one reading a day, on rising, before breakfast – not even a tea or coffee (just as my doctor insists for the annual blood test, nothing consumed in the previous 8hrs and as DrMM suggests in page 121 of his 8wk BSD book). I’m looking for consistent long-term trends here, rather than readings during the day and after meals when I know they’ll be up and down.
    If I was on insulin and needing to monitor sugar spikes more carefully, I believe I’d have to upgrade to readings more often but never less than 2hrs after a meal (it’s all about glucose tolerance – see DrMM on pages 253-254).
    After 8wks and nearly 20lbs/10kg lighter, my daily diary shows mine have dropped from around 6-6.3 to the lower range of 4.7-5.4.
    I’ve definitely noted a rise in morning readings if I eat anything the day before that’s been contaminated with sugar or anything remotely linked to carbs like bread/flour/potatoes/rice/pasta.
    That’s enough evidence for me about how my system is coping in the blood sugar department. If my readings were jumping wildly from one morning to another, I’d have to ask my GP for a referral to a Diabetes Educator at my local Diabetes Centre who’d organise more detailed tests and focussed advice.
    Best wishes!

• posted by neohdiver
    on

Readings at 1 hr, 2 hrs and (if hour 2 is higher than hour 1) at 3 hours is a good schedule to give you an idea of whether your carb tolerance is normal or not. 1/2 hour is generally to soon to hit the peak of the spike, and 2 hours misses it (by design). Because people with diabetes spike higher than people without, if your goal is to go into remission it is important to confirm that you are having normal spikes, not diabetic spikes.

• posted by Kris Kent
    on

Thank you for the support.
    I have never understood the testing time theory despite being D2 for 8 years and on the 800 for 50 days (7weeks) and getting desperate because I wanted a conclusion !

• posted by Kris Kent
    on

Thanks Bill.
    7 weeks under the belt ( a lot shorter belt) now and getting to the end of the journey without the signs of remission I had hoped for.
    Blood is still all over. (Or so it seems).
    Today it was 7.1 first thing, then breakfast and walk ( 5 km) it was 4.5 at 10.30…… , and the a protein shake for lunch midday and at 1pm a reading of 10, but dropped to 7.7 by 1.45….. Hanging out to see if it goes back to 5 ish as the day goes on ………
    It is a roller coaster for sure.
    Thanks for the support. I live alone. I told my Dr and finally said “I would like a check up” when nothing else was forthcoming..
    So rather reluctantly I got a hands on assessment…..I can feel the organs and they are OK…..but whats this diet you are on ?
    “I would like a long term blood sugar test please and an everything else test also if possible” Ok here is a prescription for a blood test.
    “What about a liver fat scan”……reply….”why”….”it feels OK to me” !
    So thankyou
    May we all be D2 free !

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Kris Please let us know how you go on with your blood test results ,from what I read on here the blood test at doctors gives an average over last three months so maybe more accurate as overall average but I for one would be interested in result as mine aren’t stable yet but only week three
    I found the Beurer app is great for recording bs with a graph also blood pressure and weight graph it’s free on my iPhone
    Alan

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

Re BS spikes
    At five this morning a thought occurred to me
    I said I was disappointed my bs was 7.5 before food and only 7.4 two hours after
    But this idea came to me that at least it is not spiking at all here but returning to what my body “normal” was without any spike at all after this meal so surely it’s not a bad thing ?
    If it shot to 8 or 9 that would mean it was spiking high which it isn’t
    Thoughts welcome here
    Alan confused ?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Kris
    those readings don’t sound too far off the mark. You will always have a higher fasting reading.
    4.5 is well in the non diabetic range.
    I would have a close look at the nutritional info on the shakes, to give a reading of 10 is unusual and I wonder what the sugar / carb content is.
    Alan, you came off your meds from day 1 so perhaps your sugar reading will come down slower than us who reduced gradually, just keep monitoring them.
    Kris, I’ve just felt my liver and can confirm it’s not fatty ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

I am on 2000mg metformin in the evening plus a pill for cholesterol and one for high blood pressure. I haven’t reduced my dosages at all. My fasting blood sugars are about 5.4 – sometimes 6 now that I’ve lost 2 stone 12 lbs. Should I drop one of the metformin or will this mean the bs reading will increase?

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Tallyhoo
    at this stage I think I would drop one of the Metformin. I did and it didn’t make a jot of difference to my sugar readings.
    Just monitor your readings for the first few days.
    First step to being med free ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Hi Bill – ooh, exciting! I will indeedy……….thanks!

• posted by Kris Kent
    on

Well I completed the course. While I feel like it may have been a success the blood sugar readings are not convincing.
    I will persist with lower calories but I am now so thin I need to eat. The energy levels are slowly returning but not the strength yet.
    So the blood ranges from 7 ish to 9 ish and back to 5 ish. Inconsistent is the best description. But I believe more regular meals is better. Missing lunch is just as liable to produce a spike as a drop. Exercise produces variable results, if I have not eaten it may go up or down. Have been walking 5km a day and now switching to the standing bike to try to get some leg muscles back. Pull ups, dont even mention that I can manage almost 4…..that has to improve.
    The problem is that I have no reference base. Dont know what the blood did pre diabetes so no benchmarking. Anyway it is lower than it was and the war is not won……yet.

• posted by Alanhypno
    on

I think you can lose muscle mass unless you do some strength exercises besides the stamina exercises
    Push ups are difficult
    Simple easy one I bought those cheap exercise wheels five quid or less
    I’m naturally pretty strong and am losing shoulder size after three weeks and stone and half but feeling great
    I do eat lot English breakfasts tho !!!!
    Alan

Please log in or register to post a reply.