Blood glucose testing

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Tofa
    on

Hi, I hope I am on the right page!. Single fasting glucose test by GP 2 months ago put my fasting glucose as 6.6….I now know how unreliable that is and wish he had done the 3 month one….Bought Accu-chek and after a shocking day or two of readings which everyone kindly gave me feedback on what to expect (5 weeks in) and how to remedy. All readings now seem to be settling (famous last words) below 5.9 but between 5.2 and 5.8, (except for one 4.8 so terrific results) but still quite close to 5.9 pre-diabetic threshold and that is me being v.strict!. So not much room for messing about. I still haven’t done pre-meal reading as I am one of those people who feels a bit hypo/ weird and have to eat a snack mid morning between meals and at about 4pm. Previously this would have been fruit which I am missing terribly, although enjoying 6 blueberries/6 strawberries. So three questions and advice please….(i) if I dropped a bit more weight would I be likely to get lower readings…have now lost 10%, waist within range and BMI 21? Yes I am a Tofi! Am I being too ambitious in hoping for some lower still readings? (ii) Do I try and not eat a snack to determine glucose level just before a meal or just let it be before meal and 2hrs or 90m after snack, since I will have to continue to snack? (iii) I am planning to continue BSD forever, at some point am I right in thinking that I become less carb sensitive if I am lucky and would be able to increase some things like fruit etc (recently read Richard’s current diet in the Guardian, that bowl of meusli looked big but I worked out his BMI is 18. He is also successfully eating brown rice and pasta ….lucky man. Thanks v. much Tofa PS The chemist advised me use pricking stick only once…surely ok to use numerous times on one day? V Expensive!

• posted by Tofa
    on

Readings rising again so obviously not rigorous enough…will perhaps have to log absolutely everthing and use ap as suggested by Cherrianne….v. difficult whilst working, looking after elderly frail mum and childcare of grandchildren….v. little time to self, have tried to prioritse exercise when I get up ….any more seems impossible….have just about given up trying to floss teeth!. Tofa

Please log in or register to post a reply.