Blood donation

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lebatsirk
    on

Hi, I’ve actually tweeted this question to Mr M but not had a reply yet so I thought I’d ask on here in case anyone else has already dealt with this issue.

I’m giving blood next week and will be on week 6 by then. Obviously I need to be safe and not cause myself any harm, but I also don’t want to come off the plan for the day. To be honest, the idea of making myself eat more makes me feel sick cos I’m doing really well on this plan and I’m so used to it now.

Anyone else had to deal with this and if so, what did you do on donation day in terms of food?

Thanks,

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Lebatsirk – whilst I have no experience of this, I would imagine that there shouldn’t be any problem, as long as you make sure you are very well hydrated beforehand, and drink plenty or fluids afterwards. I know they give you tea and biscuits etc afterwards, but if doners feel at all dizzy post-donation, I believe it is through lack of fluids, not lack of sugar.

I would be interested to hear what MM says on the issue, if and when he responds.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

As an ex-nurse I would suggest that you take a small bag of mixed fruit and nuts, some raisins and almonds, just to help you if you do feel dizzy. The cup of tea and a biscuit is usually just a treat for you being so good but it is the tea that is the most important.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

There is no problem with giving blood. Just make sure you drink enough before hand, as usual, and enjoy your “after” drink. You could take your own BSD friendly snack to avoid the temptation of the biscuit box (I don’t, just have a tea). I have donated with no deviation from BSD with no problem although my last one was cancelled due to a heavy cold breaking that morning.

• posted by Lebatsirk
    on

Thanks for your feedback.

I think I’ll have some eggs for brunch then take some nuts with me for afterwards. I can make some tea to bring to the car in a thermos (my local donation is at a Mormon church so they don’t allow any caffeine and I used to keep a bottle of Coke in the car for afterwards to get my sugar back up quickly but that’s no good any more!)

Thank you for your help 🙂

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Just shows how we change and start making good choices

• posted by FluffyFluffy
    on

I recently donated and just brought my own food and drinks. No problems

Please log in or register to post a reply.