Beyond the 8 Weeks

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Carmella
    on

Having finished my 8 week BSD; sleeping better, more energy, complete change of dietary routine and lost 15kg, I’ve continued to mix and match recipes from the 4 week plan. I would love to see more baking recipes, whilst I’ve never had a sweet tooth there are moments when it’s nice to share a slice of cake or dollop of pud with friends and family.

I’ve tried a the muffin & brownie recipes in the book but not wowed.

Welcome any ideas.
    Thanks

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hello Carmella, I am in week 10 now and have also lost >15 kg. I only counted daily calories and sugar. I am averaging 850, and <30 gm/day sugar. So when in a couple of weeks I switch to maintenance mode on 5:2 or similar I will not be frightened to have the odd slice of bread and the odd chip. I used to eat 200 gm of mashed potato but tonight I manged with 35 gms of boiled in skin with lots of broccoli, carrots, cabbage, green beans and gravy with some reformed ham. You won’t find that in the recipes. I have not used any of them being a plain eater. I have extended my variety and reduced or eliminated certain things but not finding it hard. I think the changes we made will be long lasting but we will need to up the calories to stop the shrinking! I am close to my top end of normal so not worried about diet anymore. I am healthier, fitter and better suited my old clothes than elasticated trousers. All in all a great success and Dr Mosley is a star. Good luck with your approach just don’t worry because a few days on 800 would sort out any upward trend I think.

• posted by Carmella
    on

Absolute promise of Michael Mosley; BSD would reprogramme my eating habits is spot on and discovering new foods, enjoying cooking from scratch is great. Healthier, more energy, looking better – he certainly is a star.

I do like a chip. Before BSD, I would’ve happily have scoffed a plateful.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Carmella, I suspect the reason there are not many baking recipes in the book is that we need to train ourselves away from baked goods, containing as they do flour & sugar (if you want a decent cake)! Unfortunately, I find that any diet alternatives, while meeting a need for a pudding & suchlike, just are not in the same league as the things we have got used to eating, pre-BSD. As you say, not wowed!
    Coconut flour is all very well but it’s not a straight substitute for ordinary flour – you’ve got to increase liquids, and the texture is different. I have an ordinary recipe for a coconut cake – I adapted it to use coconut flour – while the end result was acceptable it wasn’t a patch on the original. I may have another go and try it with a mixture of coconut flour & ground almonds. No idea what that might do to the calorie count (I don’t count calories).
    I think I might just bake “normal” recipes but only very occasionally, and slice things up and freeze some rather than hogging it all over the course of a few days.
    Regards, Rose

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Hi all
    Re baking I have found that the best tasting cake and closest to BSD (to achieve both of those a bit of a compromise is needed) is to use the 4 quarters French classic cake recipe but replacing flour for ground almonds. i.e. weigh your eggs and use same weight of butter, sugar and ground almonds (adding a bit of baking powder). If you want it chocolate flavour add cocoa powder to almonds. Obviously the sugar isn’t good but the almonds are way better than the flour. I generally use 4 eggs and so that normally means 225 g sugar and 225 g butter creamed and then 225 g almonds (or almonds and cocoa) added with the eggs. Bake at 180 C for 25 to 30 min. Other cakes I have tried taste like diet stuff. That said I tend to do the cake thing on a very infrequent basis for my gluten intolerant mum for family birthdays only and not as a regular treat and have 1 slice only.

Julia

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Julia,
    Thanks for the advice.
    Rose

Please log in or register to post a reply.