Beer

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Wendymay54
    on

Hi my husband and I have just completed 12 weeks of the BSD we’ve both lost 2 and half stone each and his bs have dropped well after giving up on all meds at the start of week 2 . He is type 2 I’m not ,,We are now starting a 3 week holiday and naturally he would like to have a few beers , we are hoping to still keep quite careful with doing the 5&2 whilst away . But he would like a beer or two . We’ve heard Pilsner is best but when we research it’s as bad as any other beer . Any useful suggestions would be appreciated

• posted by SunnyB
    on

The occasional beer should be okay, as long as he is keeping the rest of his carb intake low on the days he decides to have a beer. I was away for ten weeks earlier this year and was observing the principles of the BSD most of the time while away. I gained 2.8lb and that was with the occasional wine, spirit, cake and ice cream. Think you have to be realistic, if he is going to drink beer, he has to expect to gain a pound or two. You both know though, that it will be easy to get back to the BSD and get rid of it once home.

Have a fab time and don’t worry too much about having the occasional holiday treat.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

I think SunnyB is right. No low carb beer, sadly. “Liquid toast” is what it’s called.

So plan it in, as recommended. There’s no harm in that, or in a holiday croissant, so long as we all know what it’s doing. The problem is only when we eat/drink all of these things – sometimes as treaty extras – without appreciating what they’re doing inside in terms of carbs and not-needed calories.

though do watch out – OH decided to have some (well a whole portion) of chips with his steak on a recent weekend away and had immediate indigestion. He’s now much clearer that just a few would have given him the same enjoyment without the bad effects!

Have a lovely holiday and keep us posted how you get on!

• posted by Wendymay54
    on

Well that went well, out last night small vegetable pizza with two beers then back to house for another beer then yogart for desert blood sugars readings 8.4 a little high but not on meds so can live with that for the hols, but this morning headace filling tired and not like I have been since being on the diet so conclusion keeps carbs low and small beer until the end of hols then back on the diet happy days

• posted by SunnyB
    on

It seems to be a sad fact, that the BSD changes your body’s ability to handle alcohol. I find that I’m likely to rise feeling headachy and jaded after just a couple of modest glasses of wine now. Last night I had a small dry sherry and 175ml red wine and had to take a painkiller this morning! That said, during our up coming break in Turkey, I’ll be having the odd libation.

Enjoy your holiday Wendymay54 and I’ll look forward to your updates on your return.

Please log in or register to post a reply.