Barely sleeping – help please

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by greencath
    on

Hello all, I’m new to the diet thanks to my recent pre-diabetic blood test results (having been very ill with Covid19 earlier in the year). I have already lost 17 lbs by doing ‘time restricted eating’ of 6 hours per day for 3 months but that has now stalled, so last week I started the blood sugar diet. The diet part is going ok but I’m really hungry particularly in the night. I already wake frequently and am extremely tired (menopause!) and the hunger now stops me falling back to sleep; last week I only had 3 hours sleep some nights and, coupled with being hungry in the day, it is very difficult to concentrate on work. I have tried a hard boiled egg early evening or drinking water in the evening (which just makes me get up to pee) with little effect….has anyone got any suggestions please? Your help would be much appreciated, thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi greencath, sorry you have had Covid but at least you got through it. Have you thought that having been ill might be affecting your sleep patterns rather than the hunger. If you are awake you will be more aware of being hungry. The only other thing I can suggest is that you have your evening snack a little later. It doesnt have to be outside your calories, just eaten later. If this interferes with your TRE (which I dont think you are still doing) then maybe you should be a little less strict until your body gets used to the reduced intake. For a lot of us this is a plan for life and not meant to be made more difficult and certainly not a punishment. You can get your pre-diabetes diagnosis kicked into touch with just a few easy tweaks to your diet, particularly getting rid of the white carbs.

• posted by greencath
    on

Thanks Sunshine Girl, I think it is the menopause interfering with my sleep (several times a night) but the hunger makes it very hard to get back to sleep….as you say I am having something to eat a little later in the evening and am ‘back on track’ with the diet now, I thought I might give up the other day and then right at that moment a delivery from the UK including a blood sugar monitor arrived. A random blood sugar reading convinced me I need to do this so have more resolve again now 🙂

• posted by greencath
    on

ps Sunshine Girl I have not had white carbs for over 4 months now but my recent HbA1C was exactly the same as it was before I lost over 10% of my body weight! That is what has concerned me

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

As you are pre-diabetic your recent HbA1c being the same is not really a concern as long as it is not worse or gone into full diabetes. Maybe it is a sign that the diet is working and if you hadnt started it you might have had a different result. I know you have weight to lose but are more concerned with the diabetes then just keep doing what you have been and you should have weight loss and better BG results. Keep going.

Please log in or register to post a reply.