Bad taste at back of my throat

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Hey all – sorry for starting a new thread but this is alarming enough to me to want it to get a decent amount of attention (and a search on the forums didn’t return results).

Backstory: I’m on Day 12 and have been very good with rarely more than 20g carbs and keeping at approx 800 calories and walking more.

I fasted a little today – maybe 16 hours before I ate a protein lunch. About four hours later I developed a horrific metallic taste in the back of my throat and no amount of brushing my teeth, drinking water or my dinner is taking the taste away. It’s awful.

I’ve looked it up and can’t see that it’s related to diet. I may be getting ill or very probably it is anxiety-related. I had an extremely worrying day with the kind of worry that will cause stress for some months before the cause is resolved (assuming that it ever is).

So it’s probably an extreme reaction to extreme anxiety. But just in case I wanted to post here in case anyone else is familiar with it as a side of effect of BSD – I can’t recall this happening last time.

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi Shanshu,
    I can only give you my experience and not sure if it’s the same thing but for what it’s worth when I hit ketosis in earnest I had a metallic taste at the back of my throat too and for me was a sign things were working!
    I think I remember some others mentioning this early on in my bsd journey so I knew yo expect it (but this was last October! )It lasted for a little while, perhaps a few days? and then it disappeared as my body settled down.
    Hope this helps and sorry to hear you are undergoing a very stressful time and hope things will be ok.

• posted by Inka13
    on

Shanshu, I jogged my memory and googled ketosis and metallic taste and it’s definitely a sign of ketosis so try that search and should be heaps of info xx

• posted by Shanshu
    on

Thanks for the responses everyone. Stupidly I didn’t think to add ketosis into my search terms so I’ll do that now. I’m definitely in ketosis according to my wee sticks!

Bad taste is gone today so we’ll see how it goes.

Please log in or register to post a reply.