Are there any ladies with PCOS(Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) trying BSD?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Petra
    on

Hello,

I just wonder if there are any ladies who suffer from PCOS, trying the blood sugar diet.

I was diagnosed with severe PCOS when I was a teenager. I have never been slim in my life and I was told by doctors after all possible tests and examinations that I am very unlikely to lose weight.

When I came across the BSD , I got very excited. I’ve been on the diet for a week, haven’t lost any weight :-(, but my sugar level is now 5.2 mmol. Down from pre-diabetic 5.6-7 mmol.

I hope to hear from someone with the same problem

Thank you.

• posted by Queenvix
    on

Hello

I have PCOS too and I am almost 2 weeks in. I find out so hard to loose weight but I have had fantastic results on this. I lost 7 lbs in the first week and another 3lbs so far this week despite being really ill and barely getting out of bed this week but still sticking to the food. I already did a lot of exercise and I did a lot last week but I am still staggered by the losses I’ve had. I am doing the 800 fast and sticking to it absolutely. Are you doing the low carb med or the fast diet?
    Victoria X

• posted by Petra
    on

Hi Victoria,

congratulations on your weight loss, that’s a great result!

I am on the blood sugar diet sticking to 800 calories. I’ve always been watching what I eat and I love to exercise. For a while I worked out in the gym + swimming 4 hours a day, 6 times a week. I was very fit but the weight loss was minimal.

I am trying to stay positive and hopeful that the second week will be better and I see some pounds coming off.

I have a Fitbit Charge HR and I am active throughout the day. The minimum I walk every day is 10 000 steps but most days I do around 15 000. Yet my body is very resistant to all of this.

• posted by Queenvix
    on

I was the same last year- gong to the gym and not eating much and not losing any weight. Then I did the body coaches plan which introduces weights and eating absolutely loads ( high fat/ protien low carb though) I think doing that has helped this being so effective for me as it ramped up my metabolism and then there has been such a difference from eating more and then stepping down to eating much less. I don’t lose every day every few days I have no loss and then I have more when it starts again. Other people have talked about a ‘woosh’ where you fat cells empty and then fill up with water temporarily so suddenly it comes off – fingers crossed that’s what has happened to you. I am on the Facebook group and people have discussed the there too so if you are on there it might be worth joining. I totally feel your pain- it’s a constant battle! X

• posted by Petra
    on

Hi,

that’s sounds interesting. Still no weight loss, not even today. I do suffer from water retention a lot.
    I burn around 3000 calories a day(according to my Fitbit, which isn’t accurate but it gives me an idea) so my calorie deficit is roughly 2000 cal a day. It doesn’t make any sense. I am a terrible ‘apple shape’ as most Pcos ladies are and the fat around my middle just won’t shift. I almost underwent gastric bypass but then the surgeon said I wouldn’t lose more than 5-10 kg so it wasn’t worth the risk. I was even asked to sign up for a research as the doctors were puzzled why it is impossible for me to lose weight. My blood pressure is great, I am not on any medication, very rarely get sick. It is extremely tiring and energy draining to try and always ending up disappointed.
    What Facebook group are you in?
    Have a good week.

• posted by Queenvix
    on

That’s awful! I know how it feels to go to the gym all the time and be so careful with what you eat yet not look like you do – it’s so frustrating. I’ve tried lots of things that work for other people but just not me but I have to say this is working for me. Maybe it’s finding that thing that works for you. Have you considered metformin? I know it’s better to fix the problem through lifestyle but it it helps?
    I also did TheBody Coach 90 day plan last year and that was great. It Ramps up your metabolism and makes the exercise I did much more effective so rather than go 7 days a week I went just 4 and had a much better effect. The principles are v similar to on here -high fat/ protien and low carb except post workout but with loads more calories.. It has a lot of success with losing weight around the middle. Have. Look on his website. I think one of the reasons this is working for me is that doing that first -training my body to eat a lot more and then doing this is creating a massive calorie difference. The face book page is called The 8 week blood sugar diet and people on there are lovely and others I think have had the same experience.
    You can also email people on here and ask them if they have any advice as they have probably come across this before. What’s motivating about this diet is most people see quick results but maybe for you it will come with time if you can just keep going. I know sometimes my weight takes a bizarre amount of time to catch up. I though I had got away with my Christmas lessening up but a month later my weight shot up- defo a case of delayed onset of Christmas wickedness! therefore I bet it works the other way too that you may get the loss all at once-finger crossed. X

• posted by Petra
    on

Hi,

thank you for all your information. I will look into it.
    Yes, I tried Metformin but it made me sick and I felt really awful while I was taking it so I had to go off it.

I invested into the Nutribullet 900 as some PCOS ladies recommended. I was very sceptical and thought that it was another fad. Well I’ve had it for 5 days now and am hooked. I am very careful with fruits though so most of the smoothie contains mainly vegetables…it is low calories and and it fills me u[ for hours, plus is energizing. Also past 2 days I managed to cut down to 700 calories and only lost 300g which was probably only water.
    I hope you are doing well.

• posted by kimberley
    on

Hi Petra,
    I also have PCOS, and type 2 diabetes and I’m going through peri-menopause (the last 2 were diagnosed at the ripe old age of 46 :.. which is pretty young – however apparently the combination of these conditions often results in their early onset.

Anyway, i have tried the 5:2 and now the BSD. I did have some success with the 5:2 however it was much slower than everyone else i knew who was doing it. And now I am into my third week of the BSD.

So far, after 3 weeks on the BSD, I have only lost about 1 kg.

at times the lack of weight loss gets me down, but then i remind myself that at least i am not putting weight on (so i am going in the right direction) … AND .. my body has always taken a long long long time to lose weight – so why should now be any different.

My advice … keep with it .. be kind to yourself .. and remember every one is different … and whilst we would all love to be like the examples in the book – we aren’t.

Good luck. 🙂

• posted by Wobneb
    on

Hello I too have PCOS plus polycystic kidneys. I’m on my 4th week of this diet and it’s working well lost over a stone. Have you thought about how much water you’re drinking? A 2 litre bottle of water weighs quite a bit and if you’re retaining fluid that can give a false picture. I have found that if I have a more vegetarian diet the weight seems to fall off and being very careful about using salt in recipes going for more pepper and other herbs/spices instead.

Good luck.

• posted by Petra
    on

Hi Kimberley,

thank you for your post.

This is my second week on BSD and I only went down by half a kilo. I was so hopeful after reading how much weight some people lost.

PCOS sufferers’ bodies react differently to a lot of things. At the moment my hormones are playing a havoc with my mood but I am determined to keep going and stay hopeful.

Has your blood sugar gone down while being on BSD? I am pre-diabetic and fear ending up with the diabetes. My uncle just has had his second leg amputated because of diabetes. Seeing it first hand I must try my utmost to minimize getting it.

I hope you will lose some more weight soon.

Good luck!

• posted by Sim14k
    on

Hello all!

The discussions on this thread has not had any responses recently but I wanted to see if anyone has any tips for me. I’m starting the Fast 800 today and I have had PCOS since I was 17. I’m weighing at about 11 stones and hope to lose about 1 – 1.5 stone in the next 8 weeks. For a ‘normal’ person that doesn’t sound a lot but with PCOS it seems hard to even lose a few pounds. So any help is much appreciated 🙂

• posted by ColleenDeas
    on

Hello,

I was ignored by my mother as a teenager when I expressed my concern regarding lack of regular menustration.
    In my twenties I was told going on birth control would regulate the situation. In my thirties I was finally
    diagnosed with PCOC, yet no one appeared to understand the condition or provide any lifestyle and nutrition
    advice. I am very on metformin, bp and chloresterol meds. I found out about this diet by accident.

I am on week two. I unable to follow the plan to the book due to some living situation problems. I am delighted
    to see the number of individuals contributing to this group.

My focus is to firstly love myself for the first time in my life. Also to forgive myself if I slip up. Drinking as much
    plain water as I can, reducing coffee and increasing tea. I made a lovely garlic onion, mushroom and red pepper
    with one poached egg meal for breakfast yesterday and I felt so very satisfied. Really watching the portions.
    I am delighted to report I have lost two pounds… which is unknown to me in the past to loose weight so fast.

I am determined to keep trying and wish everyone the gift of self-love and faith. We are different and this makes
    it more the challenge.

Good luck to you all.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi ladies
    I’m type 2 diabetic & don’t have PCOS, but I do want to offer all of you encouragement You have obviously got big hurdles to overcome & are all to be praised for giving this diet a good go. Do what you can & don’t worry about the speed of weight loss. A lb off is great news. Slow & steady often wins the race.

Most of us on here have been so busy caring for others we’ve forgotten to look after ourselves! This has to be our time now. We should matter the most.

ColleenDeas, yes love yourself – lots. If you/ we slip up on this diet / life improving journey, then we are human. No forgiveness necessary, just grab the nearest hand to help you get up again. There are lots of hands ready to catch you!

You are pioneers who will be the experts helping others with PCOS very soon.

• posted by Aussiechick88
    on

Hey all ,

Just wanted to pass on some info for those who suffer from water retention like myself and incredible moods and pms symptoms including painful ovulation and periods : I drink 2-3 litres water a day and still hold a lot of water ; that is until I talked to my pharmacist at the discount chemist regarding my problems two weeks ago !
    They have given me natural products that have worked absolute magic and settled both down so much that I really have to share to help someone else out there that is suffering and no longer need to ! I am in Australia though I am sure you would have similar at your chemist where ever you are in the world !
    Caruso’s natural health fluid away tablets –
    Removal of excess water caused by fluid retention; bloating and puffiness ; joint stiffness and pain due to swelling !
    I take one or two tablets a day and will never look back . Natural ingredients include dandelion, celery seed and vitamin b6 .

Second :

BCN’S Saffron capsules 2 x a day morning and night !
    This is so incredible and has helped with the pms and mood swings so much that I no longer want to curl up in a ball away from the world every month !!!

I hope that if you are suffering from this please look into these natural ways to get back on track and not suffer any longer .

Bianca

• posted by LauraLou
    on

I have PCOS and thought this diet would be perfect for me even though I don’t have diabetes. I have just completed 8 weeks and I plan to do at least 4 more. I found the only way to get the weight off is to only do the low carb recipes, under about 15 grams per serving. I have no tolerance, if I have too many calories I won’t loose weight. I run 3 times a week instead of the HIIT. My skin improved immediately I started and my total carb addiction vanished overnight. I’ve totally quit tea and coffee. I get frustrated at how strict I have to be but I’m going to stick with it a bit longer.

Please log in or register to post a reply.