Apples and onions

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Heather Patricia
    on

There appears to be some confusion about apples and onions. One of the meal plans in the book is “no carb ploughmans” which has an apple in it. Then on the forums it says that apples are too carby. Can someone clarify please? Also, what about onions? Are they full of carbs too?? Thanks.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

My own view is that all things in moderation.

I give myself an allowance of carbs per day and if I want to spend some of then on an apple then fine I just have to cut back elsewhere.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Apples have carbs and calories … so do onions.

You can just look up these counts on the internet …. or use MyFatSecret site … or other sites.

put
    no carb ploughmans”” in the search button here …. this has been discussed

Apples are less carby than say bananas …. berries are the best for carbs.

“What you eat depends on how many carbs you want to allow yourself …. most people here seem to prefer under 50

P.S. there are carbs in virtually all fruit and vegetables except coffee, water, tea

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Yes, all things in moderation is great advice JulesMaigret and I also think that viewing the calorie target of the BSD as something to ‘spend’ is really useful. You can choose, you see.

So – in answer to Heather Patricia – my two pennyworth is

An apple is 80 calories and 18 grams of carbs (approximately, depending on size of course, from MyFitnessPal), and therefore planned into a day is fine.
    Onions – and I love a good red onion (or two) – are also relatively ‘carby’
    You can ”spend’ and calculate these in

I decided during the BSD that an apple was a bit much, and got my ‘fruit’ fix from either 6 baby plum tomatoes at 16 calories and 2 carbs (for a ploughman’s – eat them v e r y slowly) or some raspberries/blueberries/blackberries (only about 20g of them for a more sweet based thing)

And for onions – well, I found that a couple of Spring Onions were a really good alternative for a red onion. Yes, I know they’re much smaller, but they bring a nice oniony tang and are less ‘expensive’.

I had always thought that fruit, in particular, ‘didn’t matter’ and you could eat it freely with no repercussions at all. Then at the end of a family walking holiday, I ‘ate up’ the remaining fruit which I’d bought for lunches. Two or three apples, and about four clementines. And then I added them into MyFitnessPal. The calories!!!!! The carbs!!!! The sugar!!!!!

it was quite a surprise.

Your choice, though – just don’t eat fruit mindlessly is my advice 😉

• posted by shalimar
    on

P.S. ….. i see the recipe in the 8 week book …… i guess they mean almost zero carbs ….. Everything is relative.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

+1 for spring onions – lot of flavour for fewer carbs

• posted by Heather Patricia
    on

Thank you very much everyone for all your replies. I suppose its all a matter of common sense – but some of it is very confusing and at times seems to be contradictory.

Please log in or register to post a reply.