Apple cider vinegar

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Tamara l
    on

Is anyone using this along with the BSD.
    It’s suppose to lower BS . But if I’m already lowering it on the BSD
    I’m worried it might drop too much
    I’m type 2 and am on 2 metformin twice a day.

Thanks

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Tamara
    I would be inclined to wait and see how much the BSD lowers your blood sugars before trying apple cider vinegar. If you haven’t had T2 for very long your blood sugars may go back to non-diabetic quite quickly.

When you first started on the Metformin – did it lower your BS a lot? If it did you might find your BS start going a bit low when doing the BSD. I have read that Apple cider vinegar lowers blood sugars and If it really does do that it might not be a good idea to do the BSD, take metformin and Apple cider vinegar all at once just in case blood sugars go too low.

• posted by Tamara l
    on

Thanks for the response.
    To be honest I was diagnosed probably about five years ago or so.
    But didn’t want to deal with it.
    I took meds but besides that I lived as if I wasn’t diabetic.
    Ate what I wanted when I wanted
    Fast food ALOT
    Chips, chocolate , ice cream pretty much ever day.

My thinking was I only live once so what happens….happens.
    I don’t check my sugars or go to docs for tests

But lately I’ve been having numbness in my hands.
    So am trying to eat properly now

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Great that you are tackling it now. There is so much good advice on this forum so you are in the right place. Might be a good idea to get an hba1c from your doctor so that you can monitor how well you are doing.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hello Tamara 1 – I too have read all the research about apple cider vinegar. However, for me the negatives outweigh the positives. For example it can reduce your potassium levels, cause tooth enamel erosion, digestive problems, gastric reflux, ulcers etc. Does it reduce blood glucose – possibly but no more than a sensible diet – it is not a quick fix. I also note you are diabetic medication and as you suspected, there might be a negative interaction here causing your bg to go too low. Depending on what your readings are you might, along with the BSD, need to reduce the metformin (speak to your doctor). Because of the side effects above, I choose to stick with the diet plan without the apple cider vinegar.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I record a BBC programme each morning on food truths etc. Just happened to watch one last night on Apple Cider Vinegar and it was looking at weight loss properties. The conclusion was there was no benefit for either weight loss or any medical conditions like high blood glucose. Plus, as I mentioned, damage to teeth. I have just completed an open university course called Superfoods – Truth or Myth and like lots of the foods that are supposed to give us longer life, shinier hair, less wrinkles, lower blood glucose etc, most are not true although there are foods that are better for us but having more doesn’t make them even better. i.e. 10 raspberries good for you, 20 raspberries not going to be any better, 100 raspberries could cause problems. Just used raspberries as an example as some people of the TV prog were having a teaspoon of the vinegar but some, thinking it was going to make them lose weight were having a whole glass of the stuff.

• posted by Iammyself
    on

This reply is to Tamara I.
    Hello, I’ve just come across your thread and see it’s from 2019. You mention numbness in hands and I hope you’ve got to the bottom of what’s causing this. My hubby had numbness in hands and feet, doc said he was probably stressed from working in security! A year later we take him to hospital. (We had been with our GP practice for 21 years and they’d never done a blood test check). Hospital did full blood test, his B12 was 68 and hemoglobin blood count was 5.9 he wasn’t diabetic or stressed he had pernicious anemia where your body doesn’t make B12 to convert and store at all! He was 59 and it did serious nerve damage almost like he’d got MS disrupted the outer sheath coveting to his nerves. 14 years later and he’s had T2 diabetes for about 6 years but that could be because of nerve damage as messages to brain and nerves and organs get mixed up.
    I hope you are well.

Please log in or register to post a reply.