Any tips for if weight loss slows dramatically?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bounce
    on

I lost 7kg in my first 2 weeks and felt amazing. No hunger etc. but then the second 2 weeks I’ve only lost one kg and don’t understand why the huge slow down? I have a massive amount of weight to lose so am concerned. Has anyone else had this happen? Any tips to get it going again? Don’t want to fall off the wagon……

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Bounce, this is not uncommon; many people have a flat few weeks during weeks 3-4 then it moves again. Use the search on the forum for ‘plateau’ and you will see lots of others asking about them! Your body may just be re-adjusting.
    For things to do proactively – check your carb intake, it may be higher than you realise. Also – don’t just rely on the scales – what are your clothes telling you and what does the tape measure say? Also – read every label and weight everything out. It is amazing how inaccurate the eye can be! My glug of oil that I would have estimated at a tablespoon is actually more than twice that!
    I noticed that I was losing weight on average 1.5kg a week, but my waist was reducing at the same rate as my weight loss and I was losing from my hips and bust, but not my waist. I was using Shakes for the first couple of weeks to make it easy to start and they were high in carbs. So yes, 800 cals a day, but with 80-100 g carbs. Once I ditched them and used real food, and stuck to 60g good carb per day, I found the cms came off of my waist and the weight loss continued.
    You can also try to increase your exercise – a little more each week can help.
    Hope that helps and things move on the next weigh-in.

• posted by Bounce
    on

Hi Orchid

Thanks so much for such an in depth answer, really appreciate it. Am virtually carb free and 800 calls but think the portion sizes may have crept up. Also the excersize has dropped off so will up that again now. Thanks again x

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Bounce – the answer maybe to increase your good carbs a little – they are still needed by the body! I am sure I remember someone else doing what seemed counterintuitive – add a few more carbs in, and the weight loss restarted. There are no recommendations, but we all seem to have a tipping point – real or in our heads – I lose on 60g a day, below that I get too many leg cramps. Others are on 50g a day and some have gone as low as 20g a day to get consistent weight loss.
    It really is worth the time to measure – portions, calories and carbs.
    good luck.

• posted by 4allofus
    on

Hi Bounce, I too have a massive amount of weight to lose and I have only lost 1.5kg in the last four weeks. I lost more weight on Optifast (the shake equivalent) but I never felt well on it. I feel great and my BG readings have fallen and are in the range of 4.9 – 5.7 and quite steady. My blood pressure has also dropped and my heart rate has dropped into the 60s. All great results but I am so upset about the weight loss – it is heart breaking to be working so hard for so little result. On Optifast I was dropping 1 – 2 kilos a week. I am going to persist but I am feeling very down about it today. I hope the scales move for you this week.

• posted by 4stonetolose
    on

4allofus, I so understand! I’ve just completed week 4 and didn’t lose an oz last week. I’ve only lost 9lb in total and I have 4 stone to lose. I feel really down about it. However, unlike on other diets, I am committed to a full 8 weeks and am keeping on, keeping on. It’s really hard though when you’ve put the work in, but the scales won’t shift. Like an idiot, I didn’t measure myself, so can’t see if the inches are shifting.

I hope you and the OP see the scales move very soon.

Please log in or register to post a reply.