Any newbies out there?!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi BSDers,

I started back on the BSD 800 on Saturday 10/02/18. I have done it before for around a month and lost a stone before going on holiday. Sadly I came back and put it all back on, and it’s been slowly creeping up since then.

I was 167.4lb on Saturday. To get my BMI in the middle of the healthy range I need to get down to 136lb, so I need to shift 31lbs. I’d love to reach that goal by the summer, by which time I’d have made this a lifestyle change, not a crash diet like last time. I don’t have any blood sugar issues that I’m aware of, just want to get to a healthy weight.

I’ve bought the recipe book this time which I’m finding really helpful. I made the chicken wrapped in Parma ham last night which was delivious, and a hit with the non-BSD boyfriend! Tonight we’re making a big batch of bolognese to have as chilli and no-pasta lasagna this week. He’s planned a valentines meal for Wednesday so I’m allowing myself one meal off the plan and then straight back on it on Thursday.

Would love to hear from some others who are just starting out. My weight loss so far is 2lbs, which isn’t much to shout about compared to those who’ve been at it much longer. We’ve all got to start somewhere though I guess 🙂

• posted by Julie13
    on

Hi Nicola12, my story is a little like yours as I lost weight last year using BSD but didn’t maintain the healthy living and so am back heavier than ever! I started on 11.2.18 weighing in at 174lb. I can’t believe I let myself get to that weight I’ve always had weight issues, but managed to eat clean and maintain a healthy weight for 10 yrs. Then built a new home, had a bit of a health scare and convinced myself that I shld and cld be happy just enjoying life… or I shld say food….to the full! Thos year I plan to lose the weight but then to maintain it. At this stage I’m not using any of the recipes but just eating clean, limiting my carbs and using MyFitnessPal to record my calories. I’m going to try hard to only weight once a week, as hopefully that shld mean a positive move on the scales most of the time. Congrats on the weight loss and all the best for the days ahead. 😃

• posted by Pinkclare12
    on

Hi,

Can I join you guys? Similar to your stories I did about 3 weeks on bsd. Was doing fine but fell off the wagon on the lead up to Christmas – i.e end of November!!!! And put the weight back on. So much to loose – approx. 4st, so need to get on with it. Have signed up for the Macmillan big hike to try to motivate me and get fit too.

I struggle with the veg portion sizes. It would be really good to see some pics of plates of bsd food to get some ideas on what good looks like. Have you guys come across any?

Good luck. Let’s try to keep each other on track.

Clare xx

PS may have to get the recipe book I think. X

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome both. Really hope you can successfully make the life changes you need to, to reach your goals and successfully maintain as well. While it’s nice to have the company of those at the same stage in the process as yourself, it can also be very beneficial to have the support and encouragement of those that have walked the path and are now in maintenance. So, I’d recommend joining other threads as well, where you will find a wealth of wisdom and advice.

Whilst the BSD does result in fast weight lose, it is in essence a new way of eating for life. There is no way you can expect to return to the pattern of eating which brought you to the point of needing to lose weight, without regaining the weight lost. Not clear about what ‘limiting my carbs’ means, but really if you’re using MyFitnessPal, you’d probably be best to track your carbs on this as well, as it’s startling how many hide away even in foods generally thought of as healthy.

Final note, there is evidence that those weighing daily lose more consistently. It is not known why, but it could be because whatever the scales tell you, will spur you on either to build on success or rectify a slip quickly. However, it is of course up to the individual how they approach the BSD way of life, so best wishes to you both for achieving your goals and being able to manage maintenance when you get to that stage.

• posted by Julie13
    on

Hi SunnyB,
    Thanks for the welcome and advise. I realise that it’s not a diet but a way of life and feel confident that I can return to the healthy lifestyle that I maintained prior to my year long hiccup! My main reason for weekly weigh ins is to avoid the low that I get when I don’t lose weight, but I’ll prob be tempted to have a sneaky look anyway! At the moment I have my fitness pal set on 800 calories made up of 25% carbs ( 50g), 40% protein ( 80g) and 35% fat. Saying that though I’ve tried to focus on low carb foods so have kept to 30g, so far. I realise the carb intake is set too high but haven’t had time yet to check in the book or this forum to see the rec ratio, so will change it when I have the info.
    Look forward to chatting soon Clare, happy healthy eating until then 😃

• posted by SunnyB
    on

At 30g carbs, you will probably find weight loss is successful. In fact many find that this will happen at a higher rate than that. If you are insulin resistant or a slow loser, you might find things progress better at 20g or under. It’s often trial and error, so make a start at the levels you have outlined and see how it goes, Julie13.

I don’t think there are figures for carb levels quoted in the BSD book, but there are lots of experienced BSDers on the forum, who have looked into this in detail and if you need to gather more information on the subject of carbs do a search on the forum, using the search box in the top right of the page – indeed this may be used for finding information on any other topic too.

Hope to be reading of good results soon.

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi all, great to see there are some fellow newbies about! I’m down another 3lbs today (didn’t weigh yesterday) I’ve just got some new scales which sync to my phone which makes it a lot easier to track my weight

Julie13, I keep my carbs around 50-60 and that seemed to work for me last time, so that’s what I’m doing now. I guess as SunnyB says it’s trial and error and we’re all different. When is your weigh in day? I go through phases of wanting to weigh everyday to micro-manage, and other times wanting to wait a bit longer and hope for a bigger loss. At the moment I’m weighing every day or every other day.

Pinkclare12, that’s great you’ve signed up for the hike! I’m sure that will help with motivation. I was training for the Inca Trail last year so was walking regularly. That’s stopped now so I’ve only got the 30 mins a day dog walk as exercise, and she’s only a puppy so it’s only a slow walk! I’m going to try and add a bit of exercise in too. I would definitely recommend getting the recipe book as there are lots of photos in there. I just focus on the lower carb veg and weigh/track it in an app.

SunnyB, thanks for the advice! I do (silently) follow other threads and am always searching the forum when I’m not sure about something 🙂

• posted by Wannabeslim
    on

Hi I would like to join you as well! I hit 11 stone yesterday after lots eating crap and feeling sorry for myself . But have a new outlook and am determined to use the next 8 weeks wisely. Started to cut down yesterday and probs managed down to about 1200 so will aim for 1000 today and Then 800 onwards.

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi Wannabeslim (I do too!) welcome to the thread. Looking forward to hearing about your progress ☺️

• posted by Julie13
    on

Hi Everyone Hope uve had a good few days. Well done Nicola on the weight loss so far. Love the sound of your scales!
    Great to have a goal Clare and your hike sounds like a great cause and a good way to get some serious exercise. I havent got the recipe book either, I’ll try it on my own first and get it if I need some extra ideas. Looking through the forums there is a fair amount of discussion about the recipes, with some mixed reviews, but I think that just indicates we are all individuals with different lives and different needs.
    Hi Wannabeslim, love the user name! Great to hear your determined to give this a go.
    I’ve had a mixed wk but finished on a high😃 Had been trying to stick to 800 and watching my carbs and had really worked on getting at least and hr of exercise in each day. Cldnt resist checking the scales on Thurs, day 5, and hadn’t lost a thing, was so disappointed. After listening to a friends 6 kilo loss through some internet product, with no exercise and alcohol and sweet food, was so v nearly tempted to jump ship. But I am determined to focus on being healthy and feeding my body with what it needs. So resisted and was rewarded my weigh in day is officially today,Sunday and I had lost 2.2 kilos ( bit over 4lbs). So very pleased. Hope everyone is getting some good results, hang on if your not it will come. 😃

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi Julie, I love the scales too! It’s so much simpler than having to remember my weight and put it into an app. It also tracks body fat/muscle/water which is helpful. It tells me that my current level of body fat puts me in the ‘chubby’ range, which is quite amusing!

Glad you didn’t cave into the internet product! Good work on staying on track and losing over 4lbs!

I weighted myself this morning and I’m down to 159.6lbs, I had a massive grin to myself at being out of the 160s. So nearly 8lb off in 10 days which I’m really pleased with! I’m going away at the end of March for our 1 year anniversary so I’m hoping to be at least 1 stone down by then. So that’s my first goal. The second is to be down to my goal weight and maintaining it by August when we’ve got a 2 week holiday. I’m hoping these goals will help keep me on track!

Good luck this week everyone!

• posted by Julie13
    on

Hi Nicola that is fantastic well done. I did a midweek weigh myself yesterday and please to report I’ve now lost 3.2 kilos which is about 7lbs I think. Went out for lunch today n purposely chose somewhere that I knew I cld have a small, healthy but v tasty lunch. The two other friends are both on shakes and sat and ate v large burgers v impressed that they don’t have to worry what they eat! Luckily I don’t like burgers but actually felt sorry for them that they don’t get the eating for long term health message. Where are you going for your anniversary? It’s funny my anniversary is in March too but Im way past my first! My goal was 5 kilos by the 14th March, then like you I have a later goal, but mine is beginning of July as we head back home to UK for a mths holiday. I def want to be down to 70 but if I’m totally honest would love to be about 66. Which would be a 13 kilo weight loss, so stickingvto 70 and will be pleased with less. Good luck with the rest of the week. 😃

• posted by Donnal
    on

Hi guys, I started BSD on 15/02/18 and just discovered the forum. It’s going well so far but it’s still early days. I haven’t come across a recipe that I haven’t found delicious and I’m not feeling hungry either. I haven’t had any cravings for food I can’t eat and even resisted fish n chips at Whitby today. I’ve got a huge amount of weight to lose to achieve a healthy BMI and I’m hoping this will kick start my weight loss journey. Good luck everyone and I’m happy to keep in touch with everyone for support and to monitor progress, if that’s ok.

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi Donal, welcome! Congrats on resisting fish and chips! Muffins are my downfall and I avoided them at the coffee shop which was a victory! Looking forward to hearing how you get on 🙂

Julie, great news on the weight loss! Yeah, it is good to keep in mind that this is sustainable long term, and shakes are not!

I think we’ll stay in the Uk, maybe go down to the south coast for the weekend. It’s Easter weekend so everywhere is pricey! Where do you live?

I’ve lost another 2lbs so I’m down 10lbs total which I’m chuffed about! I didn’t drink nearly enough yesterday and haven’t lost any today. I’m also away this weekend so won’t count calories, will just avoid carbs and keep them below 50g. Will also take some low carb snacks in case I get desperate! Will see how my weight does on Monday to see if loosening up on the calories occasionally is ok!

Good luck everyone for the weekend! x

• posted by Julie13
    on

Hi Donna, sounds like it is going great for you so far. It’s tricky to resist some foods particularly the comfort food like fish and chips so that is great that you were able to. I hope the next few days go well well for you.
    Wow Nicola you must be so thrilled the weight is just flying off you. 😁 You will have reached your goals way before your anniversary the way you are going. I’m sure the weekend away what sabatage your way if eating, even if you don’t follow strictly during those days. My weight loss is a bit slower than yours ( yes I have succumbed to the daily weight!) only lot another .2 of a kilo, but still heading in the right direction. I’m going to try to introduce more fibre next wk as think that might help and I’ve actually the last couple of days only eaten around 600. I’m off to a concert in a pub paddock today ( by the way I live in Tasmania, Australia) lots of diff tribute bands and I no that I will have a couple of drinks. So no doubt it will take until next wk to resettle the scales! Enjoy your weekend away.

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Hi Julie, ah I’m jealous you live in Australia! Here in the UK we’re having loads of snow and it feels like minus 15’c outside! I hope you enjoyed your concert.

My weekend went really well actually, I had looked at the menu beforehand and chose a burger without the bun, and salad instead of chips. I had a glass of wine and a (non-sugary) cocktail, and my ketostix say I’m still in ketosis which is great. I have only lost 1.5lbs since last week, but it’s all going in the right direction.

Yesterday I didn’t have breakfast, had planned to get something at work, but then Work was super busy and I didn’t get the chance. I ended up eating 2 chocolate chip cookies. They were “only” 7g of carbs each, but it’s the first bad thing I’ve had in the nearly 3 weeks since I started. I’m annoyed at myself by the ketostix and the scales are being kind to me today so I think I got away with it!

I’m back on track today and trying to remind myself that the end goal is worth it and that I’m only slowing it down by giving in to temptation!

How is everyone else getting on?

• posted by Donnal
    on

2 weeks today on BSD and I’ve lost 5.6kgs. No cravings or cheats and don’t feel hungry either. Following the meal planners, not exercised yet but hopefully my energy levels will rise the more I acclimatise to the diet, I don’t feel as sluggish though. It’s so reassuring to read the posts and to know that this programme is achievable and that there’s your experience, knowledge and advice to draw upon when needed. Good luck everyone. X

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Great news Donnal! That’s about the same as I’ve lost in 3 weeks, great progress!

I think my weight loss has slowed because I got too comfortable with the diet and stopped tracking every single thing I ate. I’ve been good with carbs, keeping them under about 30g, but my calories have probably crept up to 1000, so I’m more mindful of that now and trying to track everything again!

• posted by Donnal
    on

Hi Nicola12, as long as the scales keep going down they’re heading in the right direction, I probably have much more weight to lose than you too. Are we supposed to monitor carb intake? I’m just following the meal planners, I thought it was the 800 calories and all the menus were worked out for us.

• posted by Nicola12
    on

Ah yeah if the meal planners work for you then great! I have trouble sticking to diets if I don’t feel in control, so I like to choose my own meals, which is a mix of some of the recipes in the recipe book, and quite often we just have meat and loads of green veg. So, it’s better for me to count carbs as I’m not sticking to the menu plan, and so the carbs (and calories!) can pile up if I’m not careful!

I’ve lost another pound, despite having granola yesterday (no low carb choice at a cafe!) but I didn’t finish it and have exercised today too.

Hope everyone else has had a good weekend! x

Please log in or register to post a reply.