An eye-opening read

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi all,
    I have just finished reading The Case Against Sugar by Gary Taubes – it is a shocking eye-opener. Taubes goes through the history of sugar and its likely impact on human health, including the current obesity/diabetes ‘epidemic’ we are facing. So much of the research into low-fat diets and the exoneration of sugar was directly funded by the sugar industry, including the famous Ancel Keys low-fat ‘research’. There is also a well-hidden link between sugar and the tobacco industry.
    It’s not the easiest read because Taubes is so detailed in presenting his case but when you have read it, you wonder why you would ever want sugar again.
    SSB

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

In general, it’s an interesting read, but I agree it’s definitely in need of a decent editor – you could shave 30-40% out of the book and not lose anything of substance. I thought the history and research on the effects, if a bit detailed, were really interesting. However, I found it quite repetitive with the same evidence cited to support the same theories a number of times. Whilst not doubting the failings of the original research, I also found the whole “conspiracy theory” tone of certain sections got a bit tedious and a little bit “tin-foil hat” for my taste.
    Spoiler alert: the bit at the end about carbs in general also seemed to come out of nowhere and almost seemed like an after-thought.

So definitely a 3/5 from me, a good idea poorly edited and/or not quite sure of its target audience. One for people with a real, deep interest in this area.

• posted by topcac
    on

I found that same with his book ‘Why we get fat and what to do about it ‘ – desperately want to read it but halfway through and getting nowhere fast with regards to progressing to a conclusion. If he uses the phrase ‘calories in versus calories out’ once more I think I'[ll scream! 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.