Amounts confusion

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by psychicbiscuit
    on

Hi there, I am one week in and lost about 1-2lbs but had hoped for a little more ๐Ÿ˜”. I am unsure about how to determine how much of each food I can eat on non fast days ( especially branded or lots of ingredients within a big recipe) . After finding the glycemic index value of the food (under 55) and then checking the carbohydrate value ( up to 50g for all food per day) , how is the amount allowed controlled for a non-fast day? Eg. if I calculate the GI Load for a food 36 GI x 14.3g ( portion size) = 5.1 GI load value does it mean I could almost have a double portion of that food if under 10 GI load? ( it’s soya & linseed bread).
    The fast days are easier because I’m really strict but the other days are supposed be low carb Med style and no counting calories etc. I haven’t found a resource that you can check glycemic index, carbs and cals at the same time. I’m finding it very time consuming checking out the values. MyfitnessPal does the carbs/cals but no GI. The lists and databases I have looked at are not that comprehensive for GI. Many thanks.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi psychicbiscuit, it may be easier to cut out starchy carbs and increase your calories on non-fast days to the normal amount for a man/woman of your age/ height etc. That way you can have plenty of healthy med style foods and continue losing weight and improving your health.
    Calorieking is a useful tool for checking calories and carbs – but if you are in the UK you need to deduct the fibre content from the carb content.

You will automatically be on a low GI if you basically follow the fast 800 diet with the full amount of calories – easy to do when you can have full fat yoghurt, cheeses, nuts, avocado’s etc. In fact a whole medium avocado has about 227 calories so have it with bacon, tomato and lettuce and you’re laughing!!
    ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by psychicbiscuit
    on

Thanks Hashimoto. I was hoping that I didn’t have to monitor carbs accumulation, GI value and calories on my non-fast days ๐Ÿ˜ฉ. If that’s the case I think I’ll need to stick to a meal plan for all days including the non-fast days. Just wish one app would do all those things as I’ve got a busy life and don’t want to end up giving up. I did Atkins about 13 years ago and it worked but can’t remember having to track calories.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi psychicbiscuit,
    I don’t do anything but stay off bread, pasta, potatoes and rice. Everything just falls into place then. It is probably easier than 5:2 in that respect.

Bill1954 didn’t count calories just stuck to low carbs and watched his portion size. He did count carbs though! However if you cut out all starchy carbs you may not have to count too carefully. ๐Ÿ™‚

It might be an idea to read Bill’s ‘this has to work for me’ blog. ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.