Air Fryers

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Tual1978
    on

I am a few weeks into BSD and I miss some of the foods I used to eat like fried chicken and wings, and that sort of thing. My neighbor just got this new air fryer contraption and she makes chicken wings without the skin and without the fat. That seems like a pretty good compromise.

Anyone have one of these? Which one is the best one to get? I did a google search and found this: https://airfryguy.com/air-fryer-reviews/ – the philips one looks pretty good. Anyone who has an air fryer, can you chime in and tell me if they are worth it or not? Thank you!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Just want to remind you, that on the BSD, fat is not our enemy. It is carbs you need to avoid not fat, so as long as you count the calories you are consuming, it’s not a problem.

I’ll leave it to others to comment on the airfryers, as I don’t have one and shallow fry with olive oil if I want fried food.

• posted by Verano
    on

I have an airfryer and it’s great BUT I used to use it mainly for chips!!!

I used it for cauliflower once but must admit it’s better roasted in the oven. It cooks all sorts of other things too but, although I’ve not experimented much, I find oven cooking better, apart from potatoes.

My guess would be that on this eating plan you probably won’t get much use out of an airfryer ….. a steamer maybe a better option!

• posted by Ziggy
    on

I have an airfryer too, use it for chips, veggie burgers, frittatas. People are saying that fat is not the enemy – that’s perfectly fine and I agree totally with that, but I’m doing the BSD Fast 800, and 100 ml of olive oil is 800 cal, 120 gm butter is 800 cals, 200 gms cheese in 800 cals, so I can’t really go overboard on the fat until my 8 weeks are over

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I agree, judicial use of fat in needed, which is why Verano is right, better to use the oven or a steamer than frying. I too am doing the 800 and have been doing it successfully for weeks, even with full fat yogurt, cheese and olive oil, but all in moderation. It is fat that helps us feel full and to feel that way for longer, so even on the 800, some of the calories should be ‘spent’ on fats. I am so used to the diet now, that I find less that 100g of full fat (10% fat) yogurt, a 4g sprinkle of seeds and 25g raspberries will often power me through to dinner now.

• posted by Verano
    on

I couldn’t eat 200g of cheese! Had 20g for lunch and although it was a bit meagre I’d had two eggs with tomatoes and smoked salmon for breakfast so wasn’t very hungry.

Full fat yogurt doesn’t really add much more in calories than no fat and it really does fill you up more. You can and should enjoy fats but in moderation.

Although, SunnyB, still can’t get my head around having the yogurt as the main part of my breakfast. I have been eating Greek yogurt, full fat now, with berries and 10g of walnuts for months, way before I started this plan and I’m finding it really difficult to cut down on my 150g of berries!!! I have stopped eating blueberries because they are so high in carbs compared to other berries.

Will just have to try harder!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

V, raspberries and blueberries are around the same calories per 100g (around 53) and pretty much the same in carbs at 12g and 14g, the best berry is strawberry at 33 calories and 6g. IMO we are doing quite low carbs and we shouldn’t cut them out completely, so where is the harm in having a few berries at 14g rather than 2 Weetabix at 362 calories per 100g with 63g of carbs. That is why I still eat carrots, leeks and onions but would draw the line and swede, parsnips etc. Along with bananas, mangoes, pawpaw and even grapes, a few berries. By the way, have you weighed 150g of blueberries, it is a veritable bowl full – I usually sprinkle 15 or 20 berries which is enough for me. Also just looking at that 200g of cheese – that is around 8oz – who can manage that much.

• posted by tomasdrinkwater
    on

You can cook almost any dish in the air fryer, from potato chips, fried vegetables to chicken and cakes. Moreover, the food cooked in an air fryer contains little fat, but it preserves all nutritional properties of ingredients. The hot air circulation is ensured by a special built-in ventilator inside an air fryer. Everything that you cook in the conventional oven can be cooked in the air fryer. Besides, the food will be much more delicious and more beneficial for our health (since the excess of fat causes multiple diseases). If somebody will be interesting .I check the article about top 2018.
    https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/air-fryers

• posted by Fernie
    on

Try oven baking crumbed chicken fillets, you can make carb free bread, then make breadcrumbs in the food processor.. or even a tiny sprinkle of panko crumbs doesn’t use up a lot of carb allowance..

the other thing that feels decedent like fried chicken is coating it in grated parmesan and oven baking, makes it crunchy on top.. really yummy.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Crunchy peanut butter makes a yummy coating too.

• posted by tommiecollins
    on

As Said by the Tomasdrinkwater

The dishes which are healthy according to you is Potato chips, fried vegetables and cakes. Somewhere my cafe chef told me that these dishes are best to cook like-
    1. Roasted Stuffed Peppers
    2.Air-Fried Pork Chops
    3. Pork Tenderloin with Bell Pepper
    4. Air Fryer Carrots
    5. Air Fryer Bacon

I cooked these dishes with the Air Fryer as they help to cut the Fat from the body. About 30% of the Fat is removed and cut the calories from the diet
    I find this article which was very informative in the upcoming 2019.
    https://www.2kreviews.com/best-air-fryers/

Please log in or register to post a reply.