Age 67, Diabetic for over 12 years, and having some success in the first 16 days

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jador
    on

Wow, I would not have believed I could lose so fast and not be starving!
    Started at weight of 280 lbs, and today I was 262 lbs after just 16 days, that a 1 lb a day.
    And the best part is that I have rarely felt hungry, and my blood readings are all under 6, with several being in the high 4’s.
    My goal is to lose as much as I can in the first 8 weeks, perhaps even 42 lbs, then lose another 42 lbs over the next 6 months. for the first time in my life I actually have hope – and a way to achieve it – that I can finally do it.

• posted by Tapatch
    on

Hi Jador-you have made a cracking start! Well done! I am not diabetic so the readings are a mystery to me, but lower must be better.
    I am also in my 60’s and I was on the verge of giving up ever trying to lose the weight. I am about 4 weeks in, just over, and have lost 18 lbs. So I too am hopeful that by keeping on this program I will get to my next goal. I try to get my pound goals like in 10 lb increments, as I think I can manage that without getting overwhelmed by the enormity of my task. I think I have another 60 lbs to go but that’s too big for me to imagine right now.

Prior to starting this, I pretty much kept to Mediterranean style eating, but over emphasized carbs and completely lacked portion control. I have had to de-emphasize the carbs and drastically reduce the portions. I feel pretty confident now that I can go long term on this thing.

I keep to the 800 calories (with a little fluctuation) but I am still finding I get hungry in the morning. between breakfast and lunch. Hot herbal tea seems to stave it off the best at that stage. I am glad you are not starving; I do get my moments but I press on through them. Funny though those hunger pangs only occur at work…never on the weekend! Something for me to think about..

I wish you the best on your journey. Congratulations on making such a great start!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great results Jador😀💐

My blood tests are now down in the normal range after being threatened with Metformin last December.

Since then I have lost 100 pounds (45% of starting body weight). So your goal of 84 pounds sounds very doable.

Best wishes.

• posted by MortenOsloNorway
    on

Whohoo – 16 lbs in 16 days! What a start! Great job, hang in there!! 🙂

• posted by Jador
    on

Tapatch, You are doing great! I find having a boiled egg or two keeps me hunger free till late lunch time better that anything else.
    A couple of things I’ve learned as I research include the importance of fat as a vital component of healthy eating. It seems we men need a minimum of 40gm a day to stay healthy, that’s quite a high percentage of our 800 cals! However the benefit is that it helps to give a feeling of fullness and avoids that hungry sensation. I’ve also read that stress can push our bsd up, and work can be quite a stressor! If your job is stressful then could you be getting sugar spikes that make you feel hungry? I think your remedy of a hot drink sounds good.
    Best of success with your weight loss. I was seriously overweight for years and ignored my doctor telling me I had no right to still be healthy and then one day he simply said “You are no longer healthy, you have diabetes!”.

• posted by Jador
    on

captainlynne, Thank you!

• posted by Jador
    on

Thank you MortonOsloNorway!

Please log in or register to post a reply.