Advice required before starting

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Alipalicat
    on

Hello everyone

I’ve just finished the book after being advised by my diabetic brother to give it a go; I have just been told I’m pre-diabetic and I’m also carrying far too much fat round my middle. I plan to use my fitness pal to keep track of my calories but wanted to make sure I had set the carbs/protein/fat to the right ratio. I understand to aim for around 50g carbs per day but would should the protein and fat be?

Also I shop in Aldi – can anyone tell me the best yoghurt to go for?

Thank you

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Alipalicat, welcome to the forums 🙂 Your brother is right you should do this diet and I hope he is too!!! The fat around your middle will be the first noticeable thing to disappear.
    Aldi have a large round squat tub of authentic greek yoghurt for £1.29 ( I think ) that is similar to the fage yoghurt – but cheaper. They also sell full fat cream cheese for peanuts!!!
    So for protein you need full fat yoghurt, cheese, fish, eggs, beans, pulses, nuts, seeds and meat.

The fat is important on this diet – it helps to keep you full and it isn’t full of sugar and other nasty crap like the low fat yoghurts.

Aldi also sell milled flaxseed for £1.99 (£6 in sainsburys!) It is good to sprinkle a teaspoon on your yoghurt with a few berries – aids against constipation as well as being full of good stuff!!!

Aldi also sell little packets of nuts and seeds( orange colour pack) at the checkout. Useful for keeping in your handbag for emergency situations. 157 calories and 2.7g carbs.
    You will find that the full fat yoghurt has carbs in it – as does milk.

If you take some general ideas from recipes in the book and this website I think your levels of protein intake will be sorted naturally. You still need your 5 a day although a lot of it will be in the form of berries and veg which grows above the ground.

You will be happy with the results you get. My niece and her husband started this diet on Monday and when they weighed themselves – fully clothed and after food – they were really surprised at how much weight they had lost by Friday!

Hope it all goes well and don’t be afraid to ask – there are lots of people on here who are willing to help 🙂

• posted by Alipalicat
    on

Thanks for all the fab advice Hashimoto, I’ve just been to Aldi but was unsure about the yoghurt as I hadn’t seen your post but I’m back there tomorrow to get some of the above. My brother did follow the diet, although I think he sometimes used shakes (I’d rather have food) and him and his wife lost over 2 stone each!!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

My congratulations to your brother and wife!

I must admit I would rather have real food than shakes but I think for some people they are a safety net til they have this totally nailed.

Don’t forget to get your milled flaxseed tomorrow – a teaspoon a day and it lasts AGES!!! 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.