Advice please!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by penelope59
    on

Hi , I wonder if anyone out there can tell me if oat bran and wheat bran are allowable, or whether they’re too high in carbs? I find the website recommended really hard to navigate, and they don’t seem to list raw ingredients. Many thanks!

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Penelope
    Half a cup of oat bran is 23g carb and 167cals. Wheat bran is 6g carb and 84cals. The counts are for unprocessed bran. Even though the oat bran is higher I seem to recall that it has a lower GI than wheat bran. You will have to decide whether to use it or not. If you need it to add fibre to help with digestion then why not try psyllium instead?

• posted by penelope59
    on

Thank you for that Cherianne. I think I’ll have to find another book specifically on low carb as I don’t feel I have a good enough grasp of it at the moment.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

There are lots of reliable sites on the net that can help with that kind of information. There are other threads on here with more info on carbs. We are all picking it up as we go and learning from each other.
    Choose a site with a recognisable source of research. I also use an app that I think might only be available in Australia that lists common foods, will scan barcodes so you can enter foods you usually use and store them in a list and you can type in recipes and it will work out cals, carbs, protein etc per serve for you. There must be something similar in the UK. Other people on the forum have mentioned ‘my fitness pal’ maybe that is an app as it sounds similar.
    There is so much to learn and reeducate ourselves about food. I am treating this 8 weeks as a lesson in what and how much to eat so that I can be more independent at the end of it and still maintain good blood sugar levels.
    I wish you success with this, and hope we’ll soon be hearing of the great things you’ve achieved.

Please log in or register to post a reply.