Advice on which one to do – the daily 800 or the 5:2?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by carina62
    on

Is it best for me to do the 800 calorie BSD for the 8 weeks or the 5:2? would like to hear how others have got on with the daily 800, what sort of food you ate and how it helped with your diabetes? thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Carina, that depends on what you want to achieve. I only have a minute as I have to get my grandsons to bed but if you browse through the posts and maybe type in some key words (you can search for me as I have given a full story about how it has improved my health) you will find lots of help. I will check in and see how you are doing and maybe come up with some comments for you.

• posted by carina62
    on

Hello I have a lot of weight to lose and need to improve my BS levels and fatty liver. I think I may have answered my own question and probably the 800 calorie a day for 8 weeks. I need to get my health back. Will look up your story and thanks

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Carina. I had a lot of weight to lose, needed to get blood sugar levels under control and get some energy back.

Now, after 35 weeks on 800 calories BSD, I’ve lost over 6 stones, blood sugar in normal range, HbA1c in normal range, more energy, thinking more clearly and better concentration.

I’d certainly suggest the 800 BSD. Let us know your progress

• posted by carina62
    on

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I want to get out of this ‘health risk’ trap that I’m in. I am going on holiday on Monday but although I will be careful and choose wisely on the food (it’s all inclusive), I will make a proper start when I return. I will probably have shake drinks for breakfast and lunch and a healthy balanced meal in the evening as long as it all totals 800 calories. I don’t have a problem with a Mediterranean diet (I come from Italian background) but can you give me an indication on your daily meals please? thanks

• posted by SunnyB
    on

– For satisfying meals, think low on carbs and high on protein and fat. It sounds counter intuitive, but it works.
    – Look to eat plenty of leafy veggies, avoid root veg as these tend to be high carb. Make good use of cauliflowers – they make great rice/couscous and mashed with garlic they make a great mash potato substitute – see thread on cauliflower for recipe. Indeed there are lots of good recipe ideas on this site.
    – Use good fats like olive oil – great for salad dressings etc.
    – Once you start the BSD properly, remember to count calories and carbs in drinks consumed as well as foods.
    Good luck and we will all be interested to hear your results soon.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

I think youve made a good choice deciding on BSD. i am a fan of 5:2 and have often fasted over the last three years,but the non fast days are tricky coz its so easy to over eat!
    With BSd,,each day you have the same cals andyou keep yr carbs and cals low…..the low carbs help you feel not hungry ( coz surprisingly,tho carbscan seem filling,they makeyou hungrier! Has taken me many yearsto learn this fact!)
    SUNNY has given you excellent food advice..follow it and you wont go wrong!
    I’ m on week 7 and have eaten after noon each day ( so i get a little fast in as well!) usually berries and yoghurt,then in the evening i have my main meal..some protein and either big salad or tons of steamed veg.
    Usually works out a little under 800 cals and up to 50 gcarbs. For me,having full fat yoghurt and some butter,some nuts have been my saving grace! Lost 26lb at last weigh in,due another weigh in now!
    Have a great holiday! X see you when you get back!

Please log in or register to post a reply.