Advice on errr…. digestion…

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by HappyNell
    on

Good morning

I have been lurking here for a while but have not posted. All your posts really help me keep everything on track. I started the BSD 2 weeks ago and have lost 10lb so far. I wasn’t diabetic before I started, although I was at the high end of normal. I carry a lot of fat around my middle which I would like to get rid of for health reasons.

Everything has been going well, apart from the last couple of days. Please feel free to stop reading at this point if you are eating…

I have been passing very loose yellow, copper smelling stools. A little bit of a google and it appears this could me malabsorption of fat or pancreas problems. Has anyone else seen this? Is it just possible that my pancreas is sorting itself out and this will pass (pardon the pun)? Other than this I feel fab. I’m sleeping better and am far less grumpy.

Many thanks!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi HappyNell, welcome to the forum. Many people suffer from digestive problems purely because you are feeding your body in a different way. You have lost 10lbs in 2 weeks so your body has probably thought ‘what the hell is this all about’ and the fat has to go somewhere. Normally excess fat is released from the body in the urine which I why you pee more and need to drink more water. Sometimes the changes can be down to something you are eating different which is not allowing the fat to bind to the blood cells and being swept away in the gut. Various things can do this like oats or other fibre rich foods so if you are suddenly eating lots of roughage like leafy green veg that can cause it. Another reason is if you have increased the amount of fat in your diet the gall bladder might be working overtime to counteract this and producing more bile. Are you eating more fat, is it the right kind of fat i.e. healthy like olive oil, nuts and avocado or are you making the mistake of having too much of a good thing like butter and cheese – both allowed but in moderation. This is not a bad thing and if it is not causing you an embarrassing problem (like not being able to get to the loo in time) then dont worry and it should settle down.

Obviously if it doesn’t improve or gets worse then you should speak to your doctor. Just a small point here that might not apply to you but as a diabetic I have all sorts of intolerances that come and go and I had the same reaction to large amounts of dairy and eggs at one point. If I had milk in my tea and no more dairy that day I was fine, if I had yoghurt for breakfast, milk in tea, yoghurt for my lunchtime pudding then omelette for dinner I would spend hours on the loo. And finally, you have not been resorting to diet pills like the fat busters XL whatever. They have that effect.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello HappyNell,
    Has this ever happened to you before and do you get any pain anywhere?
    It used to start happening to me and it was always when I anew started healthy eating. I eventually put it down to some things which healthy eating made me eat – and I totally avoid them now. If I eat them by mistake, I sure soon know about it! After unsuccessful doctor trips it was finally discovered I have malfunctioning digestive valves and the following irritates it:
    Any leafy veg
    Cauliflower, broccoli
    Most raw veg, can cope with cucumber though
    Too many nuts, especially if not chewed properly
    Raspberry pips, or strawberry
    Too much squishy cheese
    Mushroom
    Yeast – some products with a tiny bit of yeast extract is fine, but just no bread at all
    However it could just be the diet change and it may sort itself out for you.

• posted by HappyNell
    on

Thanks for the replies on a rather icky topic! Before I started the diet I ate really well, lots of veg and healthy fats. My problem was that I would eat cakes and sweets and biscuits as well as the healthy stuff! So I don’t think dropping out the sugary stuff would lead to this. I don’t have dairy really, and I don’t have any pain at all. Definitely no diet pills either, they sound too risky to me. I suspect you are right when you say it is an adjustment as my body starts getting rid of fat. I’ll see if it settles down over the next week or so.
    It certainly is effective as a weight loss/fat reduction plan isn’t it? I’m rather enjoying seeing the results.

Please log in or register to post a reply.