A total believer

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bumscratch
    on

So, I’ve read the book and totally connected with the concept of the BSD. I even think the mindfulness approach is going to improve my life. Whilst I’m not diabetic I thought there be something not right because of my flash mood swings and loss of energy and enthusiasm to to anything. This was confirmed when I measured my blood sugar this morning after fasting, 5.6 is just not right especially since my wife measured 3.0. I’ve taken my pictures, not a pritty sight, wrote down my goals and have the first weeks menu sorted for the big day tomorrow. I told my mates why I will not be in the pub for the next 8 weeks, thinking it may help my resolve, I wouldn’t want to be seen as a quitter. Feeling a little nervous, probably because I don’t like to fail,. Happy to here from anyone in a similar position.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Bumscratch (I won’t ask why you chose that name!) 🙂
    Welcome to the BSD world – certainly sounds like you have prepared well. Go for it, don’t worry about failing – like many others you will find you hit the occasional hurdle but, just like everyone else, you will find a way through. Just adapt things to suit you – you only have to read the messages here to find plenty of encouragement & advice.
    Like you, I’m not diabetic but I was overweight & experiencing moods, lack of enthusiasm, etc, just as you described. I started the BSD in January, but I didn’t bother with calorie counting (rather I just controlled portions, cut out the bad things) – I’ve had the odd blip (let’s be honest, for blip read pigout) but currently things are under control – I think I’ve lost about 12% of my original starting weight. This is quite a flexible regime. Your body takes a little while to adapt but it does eventually start co-operating. I feel a whole lot more energetic, as well as my clothes fitting better!
    It’s really important to make sure you keep well hydrated (2-3 litres of water a day), so you are probably wise to avoid the pub!
    Every best wish for a successful weight loss campaign – but this is really a change of lifestyle, you will see & feel the benefits.
    Good luck,
    Rose

• posted by Bumscratch
    on

Thanks for the encouragement Rose. I see this as an opportunity for a fresh start and knowing others have made it work helps. Fingers crossed.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Something is off here
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with a fasting reading of 5.6
    Your wife however is in dangerous territory at 3.0
    The majority of type 2’s would be in serious hypo trouble with that reading.
    You really need to keep monitoring her and if she continues in this vein, get her to go see the GP.

• posted by Bumscratch
    on

Not sure what is going on but her reading is 5.7 this morning. I will test here again before breakfast, thanks for the advice.

Please log in or register to post a reply.