A multitude of questions can anyone help ?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Burtie
    on

Hi all,
    I’ve been on the fast 800 for about 5 weeks and did very well until the last two 1/2 weeks – 6.5-7.4 kilos lost but it yoyos a bit and I’ve stalled – I’ve heard stalling is normal though . I explained on a different post I’m severely limited by the recipes I can cook as am in Asia and don’t get many ingredients or have an oven. I take everything from the new recipe book and only have about 15-18 (if that recipes) I rotate my menus picked solely on my ability to get the ingredients ( I have a 3 week plan that I rotate) but some of them I don’t like ! So I’m bored of my menus .

I’m terrified of getting the carbs/sugars wrong if I go off the book . How can I improve our meals ?
    Are the recipes on the site suitable for the fast 800 – seem to be yummy but not have much nutrional info ?

Do I need to recheck how I’ve put my meals together – all selected from the cookbook but could certain combinations still mean I end up with more than the target 20-50 carbs a day ? I’ve rejigged these so many times I might cry if I have to do it again ! I literally planned by going oh yeah can shop for that and by totaling calories to be around 800 per day. Didn’t pay too much attention to what sections of the book they were in .

I want to keep going but just need some fresh ideas and recipes without getting it all wrong and halting the weight loss(any further !!!).
    I would sign up to the 12 week online programme but it just won’t help me as won’t be able to do half of it due to not being able to get ingredients .

Also what’s the thirst about – constant and never ending ! I drink tons of water ??

If it becomes that weight loss stall for a really long time and (as has happened recently I gain ) what would anyone do to get it going again or what do I need to check ?

How much does adding extra veg do to upset the balance as we do sometimes do that or we have to substitute one for another because we can’t get hold of it ?

I’ve also been squeezing a lime here or there into cold water to create a thirst quenching drink – is that ok ?

After the summer I move to Europe so hopefully things will get easier !

To summarise I started this – well me and hubbie did (he stalled but now has overtaken by nearly 2 KG ) and it went so well. I’ve not really got too many hunger or craving issues but am fed up with not seeing progress now and also am starting to prefer to not eat then eat things on my plan so getting bored and finding it hard ! I know no one can wave a magic wand and ease my sourcing ingredients problem but any help appreciated and also other cookbooks or places to source recipes that will fit with the fast 800 stage one part would be appreciated .

Thank-you !

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi, the plateau you have hit will pass, you just have to keep going and have faith that the plan works, you might want to reduce your carbs a bit but you sound as though you are struggling over what carbs to have. Have you cut out all starchy carbs, besides the obvious like bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and cereals (breakfast and wheat type) are you eating other starchy carbs like squashes or root veg. You say you are juggling with 20 to 50 grams per day and to be honest I find that so difficult. I plan my meals then say, oh I cant have that it is too high in carbs then I omit it and I am too low on calories. I just try to keep to 800 calories and let the carbs take care of themselves as long as you have cut out the demon ones. What about fruit, you probably have some lovely tropical fruit in Asia but they are high in sugars.

I cant understand how your meals are boring unless it is the matter (as above) of getting the carbs right down messing up your meal times. Try looking on line at http://www.thedietdoctor.com or the site for nom nom paleo for recipe ideas, there is also the official BSD recipe book by Dr Mosleys wife, Dr Clare Bailey. I have never eaten such a varied diet. Tell me what is in your fridge and I will tell you what you can make with it.

Are you diagnosed diabetic because the diet should not make you thirsty. Maybe it is because you are in hot weather, I dont know but it is a major symptom of diabetes. You should be drinking around 8 large glasses of liquid per day, adding lemon or lime is okay as long as it is not cordial. Around 2 litres if you include teas and coffees etc.

As for the 12 week paid plan, and I will probably get thrown off Michaels site for this, but I wouldn’t bother, so many of us are managing quite well on our own and with forum help and support, for me it would not be worth it. Also because you are in Asia there are probably things you cannot get so would not benefit from the site. Maybe when you get back to Europe (where will you be) you will be more in control or can take up the 12 week plan then.

Good luck, let me know if you want specific ideas for meals.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Burtie – sorry to read of your struggles and frustrations. You don’t say where in Asia you are, but I would have thought the veggies, herbs and spices available would give you lots of options to keep you meals interesting and varied. As long as you work with mainly above ground veggies you should be okay, but learning for yourself to track your carbs is a useful thing to do. It was this that got me off my big plateau early on, as I could then see although I was sticking to 800 cals a day, my carbs were too high.

I make most of our meals on the hob rather than using the oven – griddled meats, veggies, sauces, stir-fries. Salads with a protein element. You can add lots of different flavourings to keep things interesting – salad with lots of basil, mint, or coriander; stir-fries with cumin, coriander, chili, paprika, saffron, turmeric etc.; lime, soy sauce, miso, black bean, yogurt, coconut milk to create sauces. Fish, chicken, meat, cheese, tofu, as protein sources. Lots and lots of options.

I agree with sunshine-girl, about hydration and the 12wk plan. It is difficult to know what more you could get, over and above the resources on this website, by paying for access to the 12 week plan. I have found the forum invaluable, both for advise and support through the low points and personally certainly wouldn’t pay for a plan, on which there is certainly a chance that the meals would not be to my liking. I like having the freedom to mix-n-match, to create meals of my own.

It’s certainly worth checking out the recipes on this site. You might need to check the carb content for yourself, but if you find a recipe that’s to your liking, it’s worth putting in a little work and maybe tweaking it if you need to, to bring the carbs into a better range for you.

Good luck, I hope you manage to resolve the issues you have and that you will soon be off that plateau and heading downwards again.

Please log in or register to post a reply.