A Month of Sundays

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by thepolly
    on

So I thought I should start my own thread as I’m now a month in – 28 days yesterday (sounds like a sequel)

Had a munchy day yesterday and ate way too many delicious salt n’ vinegar chickpeas. Today I woke up 2 hours after I’d gone to bed for a wee πŸ™ something that had stopped in recent weeks and was really dehydrated. Also had coffee yesterday and probably drank less water because of it. Feeling a bit better now – that’ll teach me to not pick at things that although healthy mount up in the carbs.

Overall I’ve lost an inch each on waist/hips and a stone in lard πŸ˜€

First diabetic clinic tomorrow so will see what they say, about the diet etc.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

You go girl! Half way thereπŸ˜„

• posted by thepolly
    on

Thanks Californiagirl, had my first diabetic clinic today and the nurse said it was refreshing to talk to someone who was being pro-active since diagnosis (although I’d started eating this way about a week before I had my first blood test). So it was far better than I thought. Am having a hba1c blood test in 3 months time.

I was most impressed that in the week between the first and second diagnostic bloods they took I had managed to lower my blood sugar level by just over 1 so that is great πŸ˜€

Opened the pamphlet thingy that the nurse gave me when I got home and every meal suggestion bar one involved bread, potatoes or pasta… sigh

Ordered a blood pressure monitor and extra test strips today. The nurse said I didn’t need to monitor but then I explained that someone on a different forum had discovered she was getting sugar spikes from yogurt and walnuts which she wouldn’t have known otherwise.

So onwards and upwards, I look forward to obsessive testing.

Also managed a 2.5 mile walk up and down mountains averaging at about 30 mins/mile. Not bad considering I’ve been walking a lot less since driving.

• posted by thepolly
    on

Toying with the idea of upping calories while still keeping carbs to 40-50g/day and see what that does. I got ‘The Obesity Code’ and it’s very interesting, especially as it says that decreasing calories in usually has a corresponding calories out whether or not you increase your exercise levels. Am enjoying it a lot

• posted by thepolly
    on

Still reading my book and have also invested in the ‘Harcombe Diet’ and the accompanying recipe book. Looks interesting and was created to address allergies and yo-yo weight loss/gain. I’m lucky in that I’m not a serial dieter and have mostly been the same high weight for the last decade regardless of if I overate.

Am into my 5th week of this diet and am still hovering around the 12st 10 to 12st 13 mark. Blood sugar is less than when I started and is averaging about 7 which is a drop from the 10.2 I started at.

• posted by Izzy
    on

I read the harcombe diet a few years ago, but I found it too restrictive. Looking back though it may not be more restrictive than this I can’t remember but maybe I just wasn’t ready or wasn’t convinced… Anyway she doesn’t suggest no carbs, only not to mix protein and carbs. either eat a carb meal, or a protein one. So not necessarily best for blood sugar stuff. There will be a good number of protein recipes that would work for here though πŸ™‚

that’s great that your blood sugar has come down that much πŸ™‚

• posted by thepolly
    on

It is really, really encouraging and i’m really glad I bought a monitor to test myself πŸ™‚ I was thinking more about the possibility of candida stuff. The Obesity Code is excellent as well and goes through and dispels popular diet myths – all backed up with comprehensive research.

I’ve looked on the harcombe website and one of the forum posters there has really lowered her sugar readings and yes, her meals are mostly protein and fat. Can maybe just omit the ‘bad’ carb stuff.

Going to make bagels in the next day or so, will let you know how they turn out as they are coconut flour/flax seed based. I’m still to have a go at baking with the chickpea flour.

• posted by Izzy
    on

oooh bagels!

I think with all books/articles etc it’s important to just take the bits that are right for you.

In all my experimenting over the years the BSD is the first one I’ve found that seems to target what I need with the ferocity needed lol.

There was a reference made to candida in the BSD book, something about any fungal type like that feeds on the excess sugars in the body, so if you lower the sugars you starve the candida. I may have misunderstood that so don’t take my word as 100% but that is what I thought it meant.

• posted by thepolly
    on

I don’t have a bagel tin so they turned out like rock cakes sort of. They were quite tasty but I think I messed up the mixing a bit as I think they should have had more of an open texture. Here’s the link to the recipe

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Low-Carb-Gluten-Free-Onion-Bagels-1245576

I also added some oregano, basil and parsley.

There are quite a lot of low-carb recipes there which is good.

Bought some 100% cocoa chocolate, it’s really bitter but lasts ages as it is really rich. Hotel Chocolat did it and have a few varieties, sadly it’s a bit expensive so will have to eke it out over weeks I think.

Might add in some total fasting days and see what that does to my sugar levels, will still drink plenty but just not eat. Still thinking about this so it’s not definite but I’ve stalled on the weight loss again and don’t seem to have lost inches either, despite some of my clothes feeling a bit looser, I’m not totally convinced. Can’t find the info about candida in the book, it’s not listed in the index either, will keep skim reading to see if I can find it πŸ˜€

• posted by thepolly
    on

Yesterday was 6 weeks and I feel like have stalled for ages. Still doing it but it’s just so frustrating not losing the lumpy stuff that should be going.

Please log in or register to post a reply.