800 calories before or after exercise?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by mjhicks
    on

I’ve just started today. Hi everyone. I have one question though…
    The book says 600 calories of diet shakes and 200 calories non-starchy vegetables, so that’s 800 calories a day to aim at.
    Is that 800 before exercise or after?
    What I mean is I am using MyFitnessPal to keep a food diary and it is linked to RunTastic which logs my dog walking exercise.
    If I burn 250 calories walking the dog RunTastic logs that and MtFitnessPal then adds that to my calories allowance for the day.
    So do I eat 800 calories or do I eat 1050 in the above example scenario?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Don’t eat extra for exercise unless you have to. It is just regarded as a bonus if you burn more, as you will lose weight faster. What I would suggest you pay attention to though is when you take those calories on exercise days. When I was on 800 calories (maintaining now) I used to do 16:8 with a protein shake, usually home made, half before and half after the exercise which for me was early evening. This means essentially having no food until 12:00 and then having either one larger meal, or two smaller meals over the afternoon. I make the protein shake as soon as I get home from work, and had half straight away, so about an hour before my exercise, and then had the other half after I finished. You will have to work out what eating pattern is compatible with your own exercise regime.

Please log in or register to post a reply.