800 Cal diet no longer effective for weight & diabetes

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Happy Hazel
    on

I have been a type 2 diabetic for about 20 yrs. I treated it with exercise, diet, and then medication & for the last 5 yrs on insulin. I am 70 yrs old, & very active. I have been overweight for 40 yrs (since birth of children) & couldn’t lose it. In Feb this year I weighed 73 kg & my average glucose was 9 mmo/L & at times 20 at night.
    I bought bought Michael’s book & went on the 800 cal diet with great results. In 3 weeks I was totally off insulin & glucose down to 6.5. In 8 weeks I lost 11 kg . I have been off insulin for more than 5 months & maintaining a low cal diet ( mostly about 800 cal ). No more weight will come off & over the last 2 months my glucose has been steadily climbing again. The average is now 9.5.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as I am concerned & don’t know what else to do.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Hazel – congratulations on your great results!

Can I ask what your carbs are within your 800 calories?

Cutting out refined carbs does reduce the amount of carbs within the BSD, but everyone’s body is very different in terms of how many grams of carbs suits us.

Some people have great control over BS with 100-150g of carbs per day, whilst other people find 50g or less suits them.

It may be that you should look at the total (good) carbs in your diet and see what you’re including in your 800 calories.

I am not Type 2, but OH is – he keeps his carbs to 40g or less per day, and this seems to be having a good effect on ongoing blood sugar measurements.

• posted by Happy Hazel
    on

Hi Igorasusual, Thanks for your reply. I still use Michael’s BSD a lot. The 3 Optifast shakes are 66 carbs plus his soup & some veges would only be about 100 carbs a day.
    What diet is your husband on to have only 40 carbs a day?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Hazel

Both OH and I have been following the BSD (now on maintenance, but following the same principles with higher calorie targets).

I am not Type 2 and wanted to lose some weight, successfully losing over 20 lbs moving from 10 stone 8 lbs to 8 stone 10 lbs in just over the 8 weeks. OH wanted to get off Metformin, and followed the BSD though on more calories as he didn’t need to lose so much weight, but needed to change his shape and lose the visceral fat. He has now been able to stop using Metformin, and has had his doctor’s approval for this.

So I focused on 800 calories but in light of comparatively little weight loss to achieve, used this site:
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

together with

MyFitnessPal app

to log on all my food – if you insert your details into the keto site, it will show you how many carbs/protein and fat proportionally you should try eating and you can then set your targets on MyFitnessPal.

OH followed the same principle.

Whilst the carbs on the BSD are good ones, you can experiment with eating less of them. Because of my target, I set my carbs at 20g per day. Many people here try 50g or less of carbs, and find the weight loss is very effective. It can also really help with BS readings.

We are eating real food, not protein shakes. It is possible to keep the carbs at under 50g eating real food.

I hope this helps you. I would really recommend trying slightly less carbs for you – I am sure more people on the forum will join in on this thread to agree 🙂

• posted by Happy Hazel
    on

Thanks for this information..I will look into the keto site & see what changes I can make to my diet.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Dear all

Have reported this blatant advert from kamilia2017usa to the moderating team.

kamilia – if you’re reading this – this is a forum for followers of the Blood Sugar Diet, and your post is really not helpful or appropriate in this setting. Please advertise elsewhere.

• posted by Happy Hazel
    on

Hi Igorasusual,
    I have downloaded the keto calculator & My Fitness Pal.
    I like the shakes but I know real food is best.
    Do you have a sample one day 800 cal diet with these low carbs?
    Or what diet do you use?
    Thanks again for your help.
    Hazel

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hope this works – it’s copied from MFP, and I hope the stats are also correct as sometimes they’re a little odd.
    If it distorts, the figures are just calories/carbs/fat/protein/sodium/sugar as always shown on MFP

This day I had my usual three cups of white coffee, and treated myself at breakfast to half an avocado, which was just under 50g when I took out the stone.
    I made a 2 egg mushroom omelette to have with the avocado.

For lunch I had two Leerdammer cheese slices, each wrapped round half a baby gem lettuce half.

For dinner – which was quite large – I had a cod fillet fried in olive oil, dusted with just a little almond flour. I served this on a salad of baby spinach with some baby plum tomatoes and some feta cheese cut into little cubes, and also treated myself to some courgette cut into chunks and dry fried until yummy (!) and some steamed broccoli to which I added some butter.

Doesn’t include my ginger tea (no milk, no sugar) or fizzy water which I drink throughout the day.

All these can be increased easily for more than one person and also if you’re eating alongside a non BSDer, you can add toast or potatoes. But I think anyone would be happy with the dinner as it stood. Plenty.

Food calories carbs fat protein sodium sugar
    White Filter Coffee, 3 Cup 42 4 2 3 0 4
    Portobello Mushroom, 69 g 15 2 0 2 3 1
    Avocado Pear 47 grams 75 4 7 1 3 0
    Omelette – 2 Eggs, 2 eggs 140 1 10 13 188 1
    Olive oil 1/2 tbsp 10 0 7 0 0 0
    total breakfast 282 11 26 19 194 6

1 Little Gem Lettuce Heart 15 2 0 1 0 0
    2 Leerdammer Cheese Slices, 140 0 11 11 240 0
    total lunch 155 2 11 12 240 0

Fresh – Fresh Courgette, 100 g 21 2 0 2 0 0
    Baby Plum Tomato, 6 tomato 16 3 0 1 0 3
    Baby Spinach, 20 g 5 1 0 1 16 0
    Cod Fillet 180 g 133 0 0 33 216 0
    Almond flour – 1/2 tbsp 20 1 2 1 0 0
    Olive oil 1/2 tbsp 10 0 7 0 0 0
    Greek Feta cheese 30 g 124 0 12 3 300 0
    Tenderstem Broccoli, 80 g 30 1 1 4 0 1
    Salted Butter, 2.5 g 11 0 3 0 23 0
    total dinner 370 8 25 45 555 4
    grand total 807 21 62 76 989 10

I hope this helps and shows it can be done. I confirm I am following the BSD principles (now on maintenance having lost nearly 2 stone on my 8 weeks, down to 8 stone 10 lbs, as confirmed this morning) and not eating refined carbs. I am now allowing 35 carbs per day, which I find ok to do.

Good luck with your further weight-loss, and blood sugar kick! 🙂

• posted by Happy Hazel
    on

Thanks for your information. It is very helpful.
    Just another question. Do you eat fruit or snacks ?
    Thanks again

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Hazel

If you look at My Fitness Pal you will see that an apple – I used to eat lots of those – is quite a lot of calories and carbs.

So in terms of fruit I didn’t eat a lot over my 8 weeks as I preferred to “spend” the calories on other things.

But so long as you add it it you could have a few berries (raspberries, strawberries, blackberries are the lowest cals/carbs) with full fat Greek yoghurt. And if you like you could add just a couple of slices of Apple to a salad.

In terms of snacks – I would have, perhaps, a Babybel cheese? Or if I really wanted something sweet six baby plum tomatoes eaten really slowly are 16 calories and 3 carbs.

And nuts are good – though not too many!

If you plan a few spare calories in, these are all fine!

Good luck and keep us posted how you get on!

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Hazel
    I agree with everything that Igorasusual has said.
    I hit my goal weight last week after losing 26.9kg in 20 weeks. I’m not T2 or prediabetic, but I still kept my complex carbs to less than 50/day, often less and I ate NO simple ‘white’ carbs.

I also made sure that everything I ate was full fat and I ate no low fat or lite products. That really seems to be the secret.
    Good luck
    Cheers
    Linda

Please log in or register to post a reply.