800 and exercise

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Debsb
    on

Hi, is the 800 a day ok, if for example 5 out of 7 days either a body pump, spinning class and pt session are done.?

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Looking at what michael wrote it seems you release sugars from your muscles when you except use so you should be ok on the 800
    Penny

• posted by Paul C (BSD Admin)
    on

Listen to your body – you will understand how you feel better than anyone. The short-term 800 cals plan may have an effect on your energy levels initially but you will adjust pretty quickly. Those sorts of classes 5 days a week are pretty high intensity so you may feel that you need to cut it back for a short time.

If you do have to make a slight change initially… once you are on the BSD 5:2 or BSD Way of Life, I’m sure you will be able to train as normal again.

• posted by BeLessThan90k
    on

Hi PaulClare
    I see you are a PT, can you point me in the direction of any research on diabetes & competitive sports? Whilst I’m 54 and possibly not going to make Rio, I’m entering triathlons this summer and enjoy the competitive element, just have no idea on how to manage fuel levels etc. Appreciate any help.

• posted by Paul C (BSD Admin)
    on

Hi, the research is pretty limited from what I can see.

With more moderate exercise your body will adjust over time to make more use of fats as an energy source but with higher intensity bouts of training, carbs will undoubtedly be beneficial.

It’s worth remembering that the 8 weeks is a temporary measure, to reset your system. After that, while still on a lower carb regime, you will be fuelling your system very differently than when on the 800 cals. You will then have different energy levels and be less likely to hit the wall as soon.

Competitive sports are a very different beast to the moderate exercise most people will undertake. You may benefit from sensible carb loading with low GI, healthy carbs – I wouldn’t use the energy gels! They’re so disgusting anyway so hopefully this shouldn’t be a great hardship!

• posted by BeLessThan90k
    on

Thanks, really appreciate the feedback. I’ve started on the 5:2 as I’m concerned about how I’ll feel/react to working flat out plus exercising on just 800 calories ( albeit for a finite period).

I’ve kept clear of the energy gels and plump for the trusty banana!

Please log in or register to post a reply.