8 WEEKS FAST 800 : WEEK 6 :ONE WEEK AT A TIME BEGINNING 14TH FEBRUARY 2023

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wendy has been high-jacked to attend a Ukrainian birthday party this evening, so has asked me to set up the new thread for the week ahead. Wendy will post the list of contributors tomorrow though.

I know that some of us are still struggling to get in their BSD groove again, so are experiencing mixed results, but hang in there, don’t beat yourself up, just do what you can. We CAN do this, we have the tools and knowledge, we just need to apply it.

To those who are focused and seeing good results, s huge well done, your example is inspiring. Hope this week will be another good one for you.

In the interest of disclosure, I’m starting this week with a very minimal discard. Having entertained friends at the weekend and allowed myself too much latitude, I’ve lost momentum again. With tomorrow being valentines day, it will be Wednesday before I manage to find my footing again.

Anyway, really hope there will be plenty of you sticking with us for the coming week …. let us know how things are going and shout if you need support, advice or encouragement, someone will respond for sure.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Oops!! Just noticed I didn’t amend the Week 6 to Week 7 … sorry.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you for setting this up SB. I have also upped my calorie limit over the weekend largely due to chopping inertia but have played short mat bowls today & plan to fast until supper tomorrow to try to compensate. This is Week 6 Day 3 for me.
    I hope you & everyone have a good week 🍀🍀
    Margaret

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Thank you SunnyB.
    My week has been a bit derailed by a couple of meals out – but still trying to stick to mostly wine free February! I cooked a chicken stirfry with cauli rice for over the weekend, and a salmon fillet bake and served with brocolli and some steamed silverbeet. 😋
    So many tragic events happening world wide – with the devastating earthquake and now tremendous storms in New Zealand, I find it can be difficult to stay focused my food.
    Stay safe and well everyone. 🌻🌻🌻

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, I am back and giving myself a new 8 week challenge – that takes me up to going back to the UK on holiday. I’m not worried about the numbers just as long as I lose something but realistically 1 lb a week. I have decided, after a life threatening event, that dieting is not the be all as long as I keep my diabetes in check. So I am going to make every effort to go out much more often, rather than worrying about it being a meal or a few drinks.

I still have to be careful about doing anything strenuous before I see the surgeon next month so not able to do any exercise. After that I will be rearing to go.

Onwards and downwards.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks Sunny for the new thread .

I left the house at 5pm fully intending to drop off some stuff and head off home . It was not to be as we were invited to a baby’s first birthday and we didn’t get home until 10pm ! OMG our Ukrainian friends know how to bake !!! The table was loaded with all sorts of dishes and pastries .I got away with a slice of birthday cake !!! We have also been invited to a traditional Ukrainian meal on Saturday .I think the only option for me right now is to stick to one light meal a day , do one of my 36 hour fasts and hope for damage limitation .

I will be continuing after the 8 week programme for sure .

As Sunny says, do your best .I am probably a bit more relaxed these days about celebrations and other moments of excess . In my early days I could easily have refused an invitation for fear of blowing my low carb crusade but it is true that things balance out over time . I am being realistic xx
    I am going to catch up with last week’s thread now xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Love your attitude SG . You have had a scare , you got through and you have had time to reassess your priorities . Yes, enjoy life !You know how to manage your diabetes, no need to put yourself under undue pressure . I don’t know if we will be going back to the UK this summer .My eldest son is going to France for 5 weeks early July and we are going to Paris for 5 days in March . No other plans yet .

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well done Margaret for your continued determination . I thnk I have already said that Jason Fung’s books made me realise why my constant yoyo dieting never worked . Yes he does warn against artifical sweetners causing an insulin spike .

So Amz/OPM I am not sure what I would suggest as lozenges . Breathing as Margaret suggested would definitely help .Have you thought of doing yoga , just to empty your mind of the stress and anxiety ? I’m glad to hear you have some exciting events coming up . By the way I have a sort of gum shield fitted by my dentist as I have a tendency to grind my teeth in my sleep .I wouldn’t want to wear it all day though !!! Just keep going, focusing on healthy choices and your well being.

Clare I hope you are recovering from your second bout of Covid , especially as it’s YOUR BIRTHDAY tomorrow on February 15th . You should definitely treat yourself after feeling yuk for so long !

By the way Happy Valentine’s Day to those who celebrate !

All you need is love and low carbs 😉

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

I have maintained for the last few weeks but due to various eating out activities, (as you so rightly said SG and Wendy we have to live our lives as well as this doing woe,) I have not lost any weight. So the journey will again be put on hold for our Valentine’s meal which won’t be until Thursday night as my Fiance is working this evening and he has a meeting to go to on Wednesday Eve.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well done Elle- Mae…maintaining is good ! Enjoy your Valentines meal with your fiancée. You can get back on track later. Your food choices are great ! 🤗🤗

• posted by wendleg
    on

Happy Birthday Clare/Tulip ! 🎊🎊🎉

Hope you have a lovely day and the covid symptoms are receding xx

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Happy Birthday Clare/Tulip 🎁💐
    I hope everyone is feeling well this week? 🤞
    I am wondering whether to change to using full fat milk in my coffee rather than the semi-skimmed or Oatley that I have now. I am rather low in my dairy intake only occasionally eating cheese, kefir or adding full fat natural yoghurt to my home made soup. Any views on this?
    Thank you
    Margaret

on

Happy birthday Clare, hope you are getting over covid.

Margaret, on the question of milk, I personally think milk is essential for getting some real dairy. However, we have always had semi-skimmed and tried full fat when I started this diet and found it too rich, fatty and gave me an upset stomach. Definitely replace the oat milk with real milk but you can switch it around, it isnt a case of choosing one and having to stick with it.

Still going out of my mind. Never thought I would be wanting to get on with housework just for the sake of having something to do. Bless him, hubby has just done 2 loads of washing. Wont be long now – 3 weeks to seeing the surgeon.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Margaret. I’m like SG. I don’t like full fat milk . I could never drink those little bottles of milk you used to get at school.Yes I’m that old 🤣

Nowadays I drink green or herbal tea..can’t do black tea with.milk

BUT …I have a bit of cream in my coffee ! It’s the equivalent of single cream. I do like it and if doing pretty strict keto it is acceptable.
    I stopped eating Greek yoghurt because I can easily over eat it.

I occasionally do a porridge with hemp hearts,millet flakes and chia seeds cooked in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes …with almond milk xx

Hang on in there SG.! Not long to go…and the sun.is shining 🤗🤗

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you S-G & Wendy for your help. I also remember school milk in the small bottles that used to be placed in fron of the gas fire to warm them up! It really sounds yuck now🙀 I will get one bottle of full cream milk & try it but I have got used to Oatley which I like .
    S-G do just take it one day at a time. After some minor surgery to remove a suspect naevous & because it was just before Christmas with house guests coming, I decided to scrub the bathroom floor & scared myself silly when my wound started to bleed & leaked around the dressing! Fortunately after going to my local hospital I found I hadn’t busted my stitches so it was OK but it’s so easy to see things that need doing & then overdo it. Try to be patient take care & pace yourself👍
    With best wishes for your speedy recovery!
    Margaret

on

Don’t worry Margaret, I have just been in touch with a young couple who are looking for work – her cleaning and him odd jobs around the garden and they are coming for a chat on Saturday. I have said just a one off for now to get the house clean and then we will see if I want her to come on a regular basis. Maybe it is time I let someone else take the strain, I am 70 now and it is not as if we cant afford it.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Guys,

I have had a busy week, there was an american podcast program of doctors sharing the protocols they are using with their patients with long covid. It was free to watch but each days videos were only available for 24 hours and there was 5 or 6 hours of videos each day. There was a lot of interesting discussions on the idea that many of the issues with long covid are a result of the immune system staying switched on but unable to target the covid virus because it is so successful at hiding in our cells. – My takeaways, the benefits of taking anti-histamine. the benefits of eating keto for the fatigue and also to combat the reactivation of the virus responsible for glandular fever, (apparently covid virus is capable on interfering with the ability of cells to convert sugar into fuel, and in the process create conditions in which the virusu responsible for glandular fever which is dormant in most of the population can reactivate/spread). The process by which cells create energy from fat is not effected by the covid virus. – Lots of information on how to improve the gut bacteria, As well of course an emphasis on the benefits of autophagy in enabling the immune system to locate and clear the virus out of our bodies to a level sufficient to enable us to live with it in a dormant state.

————

I am just about to hit the 72 hours stage of the current fast, which is the longest fast so far. I will not break my fast today to get an extra few hours. I don’t know about tomorrow. Fasting releases the virus into your body, so it will depend on how strong the reaction is to the virus as to how long I can continue, but the longer the better.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Wow a lot of information to analyse but fingers crossed your longer fast really helps you JGwen🤞🤞
    With very best wishes
    Margaret

• posted by JGwen
    on

I had some good? news yesterday. The local community tourism cluster group of which I am chair have been invited to give 2 presentations in April, which will be filmed and shared online. – Great incentive to really knuckle down as that gives me 2 months to really work on reducing my spare tyre.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

It’s always lovely to have good news JGwen & to have a date to focus on to lower one’s weight.
    I’m weighing tomorrow morning so am really hoping I might have lost a little more weight towards losing a stone. Lunch was Keto chunky courgette, leek & prawn soup with an apple & for supper Shakshuka with two Ryvitas & a pear.
    Margaret

• posted by OrangePandaMomma
    on

I am around. We have been sick so we just ate what is easy instead of cooking from scratch. Tomorrow I plan to get back on tract now that we are both better.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Sorry to hear you have been sick OPM & I hope you are feeling much better now.🤞🤞
    It’s week 7 day 1 for me now & I have just weighed & lost only 0.5 lbs last week 🤔 I am disappointed because I’m always eating below my BMR but have also had one 24 hour fast this week! I have now lost 11.5 pounds in weight.
    I have finally seen a physiotherapist after five months wait & now have a definitive diagnosis of what’s happening with my knee. On the inner side of my right knee the median meniscus is damaged but no surgery is recommended because it’s caused by my osteoarthritis & they only operate on young people with meniscus tears. I’m pleased to have a diagnosis & will be going along to the hospital pain/exercise clinic to work on strengthening my thigh muscles to better support my knee which will be supervised by my physiotherapist! I won’t be eligible for a knee replacement until it’s much worse not that I really want more surgery anyway 🤔
    My husband who is eating much more than me has lost 1.75 lbs but I am pleased for him because he is a Type 2 diabetic & needs to be on the lighter side of his optimal weight & only 2-3 pounds more to lose. I tease him that it’s all down to my excellent meal management & cooking 😂
    I hope you have all had a good week!
    Margaret

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I’ve had a busy week, so haven’t been around here much. I’ll have to catch up on everyone’s posts later. I am off work for four days this weekend, but have so much on the go. Yesterday I started painting the bathroom. I was so fed up with the horrible white paint that the previous owners had slapped on the walls prior to selling. They didn’t do a good job of covering up the darker paint that was underneath and it was very poor quality paint and came off on my cloth every time I to wash the walls. I chose a lovely pale green and I’m very happy with how it is turning out. Still need another coat, but will do that tomorrow.
    Today I am pruning fruit trees and potting on some of my seedlings. The seedlings are currently bigger at 6 weeks old than they were last year at 12 weeks. I’m so happy that I’ve figured out this crop as it can be very tricky to start from seed, but it means that they are much bigger than I anticipated and need bumping up into larger cells. I am running out of room in the house to put them though! We still have snow on the ground and are in for another deep freeze this week, so can’t put them outside just yet.
    I had a blip with my food earlier this week. I had a big relief as I finally managed to sort out a very stressful property assessment issue that has been impacting my rates. I sent the authority an email last week in which I explained to them how the legislation that they operate under works, given that I seem to know what it says better than they do. Anyway, I heard nothing from them, so thought it was all for nought and I would have to attend an appeal hearing next week, until late this week when they finally relented. It will save me around $2000 on my rates this year, but more than the money, it also qualifies me to access some programs to improve my farm. The emotions around this were quite difficult for me to handle. I hadn’t realized how stressful it had been until it was over. I had a little blow out, eating whatever I wanted for a day under the guise of ‘I deserve it’ and that it was a celebration. But in the end it wasn’t a good way to celebrate. I just felt queasy and generally awful for 2 days.
    Back on track now. I do need to prepare for these types of things in the future though. Interested to hear how everyone deals with things like this. I’ve had a long history of being conditioned in my family of using food for celebration and comfort. Obviously that is not serving me well.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

thank you all🥰🥰
    I am recovering, and I did have a nice birthday -tested neg on days 9 and 10, so my parents could come and visit as planned- more sedate than I envisaged, but grateful to be on the mend!
    I can now manage short walks 10-15 mins, slowly, and am going back to work on half days tomorrow….fingers crossed!
    SG…you are doing fab!
    Love to all.
    xxxxx

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

It’s good to hear you are recovering Tulip1👍
    I have just received the Obesity Code Cookbook which has some lovely recipes but disappointingly no calorie, carb or protein counts in the recipes! I will however cook some of them & there is a long introduction that I’m still reading.
    I’m curious where everyone is based? So far I have identified France & the USA & I’m in West Sussex in England which is lovely & sunny today.
    Margaret

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Oh Margaret I didn’t know there was an Obesity Code Cookbook, will have to take a look. I am always in the lookout for new recipes 😁. I am from Essex but now live in Northern Ireland.

on

Hi everyone, I am still around. So many people being ill in one way or another. I wish the best to you all. I am still not 100% and think I have a stitch still in my wound. I am going to get the nurse to come and have a look tomorrow. I am still in a lot of pain and some days the scar swells up but nurse says it is clean – maybe not, if it still has a stitch in.

We are going to let the young lady come and do a deep clean of the whole house first week in March. At the same time her husband is going to Karcher the pool surround ready for the new season. I think we might make good use of them but we will see first how the job goes. As I said earlier, at my age I should be letting someone else take the strain.

On the subject of the diet, I had a little treat of a couple of glasses of wine last night and my weight has blipped by about 0.2 of a kilo, so no real damage. I am still hopeful of 1lb per week and still on track.

Wendy1947 dont worry too much about how much you have lost. You HAVE lost and that is the most important thing. I my first round of 8 weeks I lost 13lbs – so around the same as you are doing. But when I look back, after doing short stints and longer ones now and then and see I have lost around 28lbs I never think I am failing. As for your husband, it always seems easier for men to lose weight and he really needs to with his diabetes. Doesnt sound as though he has much more to go.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend. We have a sign here in France that shows summer is coming. Grues (cranes) fly over in their hundreds heading further north when Africa gets too hot and it is always a sign of warmer weather here.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hiya…..thanks both, and I hope they find your stitch SG!
    JGwen…..that sounds very interesting about Long Covid- if you are on, can you point me in the direction of where to have a look at some of the thinking/ research?
    Arctic Fox- you astound me with your (outdoor busy- ness! Do you ever sit down for a rest?)
    I am gaining weight rather than losing it 🙁
    …..I know I’ve not been well, but to be fair, that happens a lot, and I need to somehow find how to get back on it!
    Margaret- I was born and raised in Staffordshire UK but living in Wiltshire UK now.
    Tulip xxx

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you for sharing your locations it’s interesting learning where you are from👍😀
    Margaret

• posted by caronl
    on

Still lurking, and wishing a good recovery to SG, Clarinet Cathy, Covid sufferers, Spring is really on the way. I have been languishing after a good start – dealing with some medication which gives weight gain so less motivated! But will plod on. Margaret you have been doing really well, congratulations. I am based in Holland.

Elle-Mae, I came across a good bank of new recipes on the EatWell website. They have a good selection of low carb higher protein, with all nutritional information.

Have a good week everyone.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Margaret, I am in South West Wales, UK.
    ————
    My news is that I caught sight of myself in the bedroom mirror, not a pretty image, but I could certainly see some changes as a result of last weeks fast which is inspiring to me. I am heading out for the day on friday, going to Tenby for a day out followed by an AC/DC tribute band in the evening. – So I wimped out of attempting again a mega long fast this week. Just aiming for a 4 day fast, breaking it on Wednesday evening or Thursday morning. My only problem after my first longer fast was that I couldn’t eat very much on the first couple of days and didn’t really fancy anything I had in the fridge. Being in the real world with all the temptations of takeaway food and drink for the day on Friday may be a different experience.

I do find the challenge with fasts comes from emotions driving a desire to eat rather than physical hunger. – When there is a work issue that brings my energy up to the point where I pace while considering the answer I really want to stop off at the fridge each time I go past it.

Jillie.

on

Wendy1947, I am in SW France but I think you will already know that. We are about 20km from Bergerac and in some lovely wine growing areas with Bergerac, Bordeaux, St Emillion wines – so you can guess what my temptation is.

Nurse came this morning and pulled out a few bits but doesnt think it is a stitch, more like a twisted staple. Anyway, I have a doppler next week and that will show up anything. Not even going to think about it.

Saturdays wine has caught up with me but I still have until tomorrow before I get weighed. Happy Monday and have a good week.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone . I am feeling very grateful after reading the very real challenges many of you are facing .You are absolute super stars dealing with massive challenges .

I am struggling a bit with the fall out from our Ukrainian meal on Saturday .We had a lovely time, communicating in very basic French and Google Translate but the food was a bit too carb heavy for my system .There was a soup with beetroot and other veg, served with a deep fried savoury doughnut , stuffed cabbage leaves with rice and mincemeat , avocado and smoked salmon toasts and a potato dumpling . The only greens on view were the lettuce leaves used more as a garnish . I made a coconut dessert .

I think I have developed some form of gluten intolerance .I get nasty acid reflux after eating bread, potatoes, white carbs basically and it is unpleasant .

I am now focusing on getting my system back to normal !

I am about to set up the new thread !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Sorry , Margaret , forgot to say I am in SW France too , further south from SG as I am in the Tarn département .Our main towns are Albi, Gaillac and Montauban .Toulouse is about 45mins away

• posted by SunnyB
    on

JGwen … well done on, those extended fasts I’m sure they are challenging at times, but you seem to be noticing positive results, which makes it worth the effort. Enjoy your little deviation at the end of the week it’s definitely deserved.
    SG, hope the nurse has resolved thing, by removing the ‘debris’.
    Margaret, I’m located in West Somerset … cider country!

Please log in or register to post a reply.