7 Days to Renew your Enthusiam for BSD 11th July 2017

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

Reading the posts I realise I’m not the only one who is going through a rough patch. There are many reasons why this is happening and I think in my case it’s a bit of boredom after a year of this WOE and also post holiday blues.

I was looking for inspiration and looked at 101 Ways with Cauliflower again. I realise that my food choices have become so boring …. salad, salad and more salad! Then reading the cauliflower thread I remembered courgetti spaghetti. I had some tomato sauce in the freezer and so had puttanesca for lunch. Real satisfying food! Such a change from salad.

So I thought I would start a thread to see what it would take to renew our enthusiasm for BSD. Just 7 days to find one thing each day that will help renew your enthusiasm for this WOE. So….

DAY 1of 7

Today I found renewed joy in BSD food with courgetti puttanesca.

Hopefully by the end of the week we will all be inspired by each other and will be enjoying BSD and its benefits again.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Love this idea, Verano – good thinking! Like you, I have been on and off this WOE for over a year now and it is easy to become jaded and fall back on the easy and familiar, forgetting that keeping food interesting with variety. I certainly thing shaking things up a bit can only be a good thing.

My offering for today is my new discovered – Shawarma Spice mix – which is easy for make. With the addition of some lemon juice (or minced preserved lemon) and a teaspoon each of minced garlic and fresh ginger, it makes a flavour packed paste to zing up any meat – spread it on, leave it for at least an hour, but preferably overnight (especially if you are spicing a joint or whole chicken) and then roast or grill. I make a decent size jar full of the spice mix, so it’s there if I want it on a whim. A bit like Ras El Hanout, there seem to be a number of variations on the mix, so you can tweak it to your personal taste, but this is a good start point:
    1 tbsp ground cumin
    1 tbsp ground coriander
    1 tbsp ground turmeric
    1/2 tbsp sweet paprika
    1/2 tbsp. ground salt
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper (or hot paprika)
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
    1tsp All Spice

Looking forward to reading other peoples ideas to inspire those of us who have become jaded and a bit complacent.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Great idea Verano, thank you.

My contribution is a purchased product. I have not really enjoyed saurkraut, but reading Dr M’s book as well as other materials about fermented foods, decided to give it another go. I happened upon a local (Western Australian) small producer of Kraut and Kimchi and honestly say it is absolutely delicious. Green St Kitchen Kraut with Turmeric & Juniper Berries. Carbs = 3.6g/100g so a 30gm serve is not damaging.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Love the sound of that Kraut with turmeric and juniper, Marsie – can you mail some to the UK?!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi SunnyB and Marsie good to have you along. I have never eaten sauerkraut so maybe it’s time to start. I love any sort of pickled or spicy food except for onions. I am going to make up a batch of your spice mix SunnyB and give a go later this week.

I feel slightly more invigorated just having had a decent lunch and a sparse evening meal. Maybe that’s the way to go.

See you tomorrow.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Make sure the sauerkraut you buy is raw and unpasteurized. The regular stuff you find at the grocery stores in the States at least often hasn’t been fermented, just cooked down, and if it’s pasteurized all the lovely friendly gut bacteria die in the process.

My contribution to the renewed enthusiasm movement is a single vegetable: broccoli di rape, aka broccoli rabe, aka rapini. I haven’t had any in decades and I’ve never cooked them at home before, but the ones at the market last weekend looked so beautiful that I gave them a try. I blanched them in boiling water for 4-5 minutes, drained them, then sauteed with garlic and a spoonful of chicken stock for 10 minutes or so. They were so scrumptious that I went right back to the market and bought another 3 bunches and blanched them all. Now whenever I feel the urge, they’re ready to toss in the pan.

They’re not actually related to broccoli, as it happens. They’re the greens of a turnip-like plant that just happen to look a lot like a leggy, leafy, tiny-flowered version of broccoli. They taste like a cross between turnips, mustard and spinach. So savory and delicious all you need is a little garlic, salt and pepper to make them sing. To top it all off, because they’re greens with edible stems, most of their carbs are fiber. They’re also so low in calories you could eat a mountain of them without making a dent in your count.

Tonight’s dinner was a pile of rapini with a dusting of grated parmesan on top, another pile of steamed spinach with 1/2 oz of feta crumbled on top and cauliflower mashed with a spoonful of Greek yogurt and chives. Just three veggies on plate, but so sumptuous.

• posted by Pancita
    on

Hi Verano,
    I’m not too great at Fat Secret etc, so my figures might not be exact, but I wanted to share my favourite dinner hopefully to give you something new.

One chicken breast, cut in half then cut through the halves to get 4 thin pieces. Flatten a little with a rolling pin. Place one sage leaf on each piece, grind on some black pepper and wrap in a slice of parma ham. Pat again with the rolling pin then fry in a little butter until nicely browned.
    About 300 calories and 2g carb (I think).
    We eat it with a few spears of asparagus or sprouting broccoli.

Apologies if this is a duplicate of a recipe already on here, I haven’t read through all the recipes on the lists.

Best wishes
    P xx

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 2 of 7

Thanks for the recipe Pancita. I have just looked back through fatsecret to see what I was eating on the days that I was losing well. My winter go to lunch was soup and another good lunch seems to have been cottage cheese with pickled cucumbers and a couple of thin oat cakes. My downfall has been my snacking. Yesterday after a more substantial lunch I didn’t snack so maybe I have the answer ….. two meals a day with a larger lunchtime meal, a light dinner and no snacks.

Esnecca I have never heard of Rapini so looked it up. I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen it here in the UK but that doesn’t mean it’s not available. I made some mashed cauliflower last night but it was a disaster. I steamed it too long and I had broad beans above it in the steamer so it went grey in parts. When I whizzed it with a tablespoon of cream I was left with a very unappetizing grey sludge. Must remember to check my vegetables when steaming!

Today I’m starting to use light weights again and a band for an upper body workout. My arms seem to be getting flabby as I lose weight and I think that that may be, subconsciously, stopping me from losing weight more rapidly. Hopefully the weights will help with toning but I know it will take time.

My second offering today is fish. I love it but I know lots of people don’t . So it’s sea bass for me today just baked in the oven with some herbs stuffed inside. Shouldn’t mess too much with something so delicate!

Hope you are all feeling a little more positive today.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

My first offering on this thread is quite simply one of my favourite styles of cooking a simple BSD friendly evening meal. The original idea came from Mary Berry and included a glass of white wine added with 10 minutes to go in the oven 😀 but that step can be omitted if not way of eating friendly.

For my version, simply add whatever protein source you want (usually chicken thighs or breast or high quality sausage) to a plastic bag, add tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, peppers and any other vegetables you like/have lying around needing using up. Add a dash of salt and black pepper (or any other herbs or spices you really like) and a tablespoon of oil, olive or avocado oil are my favourites, then close up the bag and just mix up by rolling the bag in your hands until the vegetables and meat are all covered in oil and seasoning.

Cook in a roasting tin in the oven for around 50 minutes at 200C or slightly higher if not a fan oven, mix once halfway through to make sure the top layer doesn’t burn, then just serve with the cooking juices and enjoy. This has become such a favourite of ours we use it regularly, and with the added wine it makes an incredibly satisfying and still low carb, easy to prepare, casual, one pot, dinner party main course if we have guests. For those on maintenance and eating the occasional potato again like me, small potatoes roasted whole in the mixture also work really well.

• posted by Verano
    on

I love simple recipes Mixnmatch, especially when they cook in ‘one pot’ . I might try your recipe tonight but just the vegetables to go with my sea bass. It would certainly be a an easy meal in the oven.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I do just the vegetables this way as well, as an accompaniment to fish or roasted cold meats, and occasionally as the basis for a very satisfying roasted vegetable soup in my soup maker. It really has been one of my favourite discoveries.

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello all,
    My tip for day 2 to renew your enthusiasm is – are you drinking enough?
    I found that whilst drinking quite a bit it wasn’t as much as when I lost all my initial weight – so as someone once said on here, keep drinking water like its your second job! Really helps the weight fall off.

I thought I’d share the link to this recipe I really love:

http://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/recipes/burger-in-a-bowl.aspx

Its so tasty, used to do it when on slimming world and can be very easily adapted to BSD. The mince, mayo and fromage frais can all be full fat and the mince can be fried in oil. Its yum and tastes very authentic.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Some excellent ideas being posted here to renew enthusiasm. It was a great idea to start the thread, making us all think about what we are consuming and what we have allowed to fall by the wayside.

Pancita, your chicken breast recipe is a variation of an Italian dish called saltimbocca, usually made with veal. It also works really well with salmon, which I have done several times and turkey steak also work with this recipe.

Did a quick google on rapini, as I’d not heard of it before and I don’t think we have its in the UK as such, but looking at pictures, I would say that rapini looks similar to tender stem broccoli. Anyway, will definitely be giving the garlic recipe a try use some of that.

Good advise about drinking water Baristagirls, it’s so easy to let that slip – for me at least, as staying well hydrated has always been one of my issues. Think I’m doing better, but know it’s definitely something I need to pay attention to.

My piece of advise for today, is if you are a snacker, to make sure you have BSD friendly snacks available and be sure you include their cals and carbs in your daily record – even if it’s only a couple of nuts. One of my favs is kale crisps, which are quick and easy to make and can be tweaked by sprinkling them with various spices.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Good posts coming in. Love the idea of the one pot vegs Mnm. And re the water Baristagirls, I should add this to my new goals. With the weather colder here now, I am not getting in my usual intake. Thanks for the reminder.

Missed being here yesterday altogether because of computer probs. I’m sitting here now with the aroma of a Malaysian Rendang curry in my slow cooker. The coconut milk and jar of Ayam curry paste are within my cal and carb limits for today. Will add broccoli and cauliflower to the plates and cook only enough rice for OH.

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 3 of 7

Sounds lovely Marsie and even though I’m just about to have my yogurt and berries I’d much prefer your Rendang!

Yesterday I think I took to your idea of BSD snacks with far too much enthusiasm SunnyB! I had a really ‘snackful’ day. It started with salad for lunch and then I just ‘needed something’ so had a couple of oat cakes and a piece of cheese but still not satisfied the digestives reared their ugly head. That was it, no dinner just a day of snacking, nuts, raisins and 90% chocolate. All BSD friendly just too many of them!

Anyway today is another day and I think I need to pass on a tip from Mixnmatch ….. salt. She suggests a taste of salt on your finger tip to stop cravings. I really think this may work. On Tuesday I had courgetti puttanesca for lunch and I though I was satisfied because it was quite substantial, but I now think it may have been the salt from the anchovies, olives and parmesan. So will certainly put it to the test today at lunchtime which seems to be my danger zone. It could also have a knock on effect and force me to drink more water!

Some really good ideas here and today I’m going to be really mindful of what I eat as my enthusiasm for BSD builds back up.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

That Rendang sounds delicious, Marcie, making my mouth water thinking about it.

Sorry to hear the snacking got a bit out of hand yesterday, Verano. Hope you’ve got a handle on it again and I’m not going to get in trouble for the dent in your resolve! Might try the salt trick myself. I find the things with a strong punchy flavour, like something salty or pickled really helps when dieting.

Think you have also hit on something, Verano, mentioning the need to be mindful of what we eat. Actually, it was going to be my offering for today as well. Think it’s something that can be hard to hold on to and applying a little thought and mindfulness can make a huge difference. Just asking yourself, ‘Do I need this?’ or ‘Do I really want to eat this?’ before diving in, can make a big difference.

Anyway instead, for today I’ll offer up the pickles – gherkins/cornichon, olives, silver onions, etc – anything with a tang, but low on sugar. I love piccalilli and just a little with a bit of cheese is very pleasing.

• posted by Verano
    on

SunnyB I only mentioned mindfulness in passing but you are so right. Mindfulness is a bit like drinking water we have to keep reminding ourselves all the time.

Yes pickled cucumbers, herrings yummy. I’d forgotten piccalilli with cheese lovely. I just don’t like pickled onions. In fact I don’t like onions full stop unless they are cooked in something. Hate onion flavoured food as well, cheese and onion crisps yukkkk, not that I eat crisps now. Well maybe the odd one!

Think I may just have cottage cheese with pickled cucumbers for lunch today and maybe some tomatoes with salt!

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 4 of 7

Yesterday went bottoms up for me. Started with all good intentions but ended with me enjoying, and I really did enjoy, some Australian Shiraz that I’ve not had for several months. I suppose it doesn’t harm now and again but now my last two days of ‘gay abandon’ have shown up on the scales this morning.

My tip for today is just to reiterate ….. eat mindfully and drink plenty of water. That’s mainly aimed at myself. I just need to get my head in the right place again and I will but my enthusiasm is not at its best just at the moment.

Hope you are all enjoying re-kindling the joy of BSD eating.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Verano, don’t worry about the Shiraz, at least you enjoyed it and I’m confident you will be back on form soon and the result of last couple of days of ‘gay abandon’ will soon be consigned to history.

My offering for today is every little helps, so even if you only have the time and inclination to do a tiny amount of exercise, no matter how little that might be, it’s still contributing to your activity, so do it.

This thread is certainly helping me to think about the BSD anew and getting me to consider it’s various aspects again.

• posted by Nervousnellie
    on

Always read posts that talk about food looking for tips and inspiration- trying out new recipes has been part of the joy of this diet -it has expanded the type of food I cook which is a real plus.
    I have been thinking about what has worked for me -9 months doing 5:2 – 3 1/2 stone down- and offer up the following
    Feta- maybe it is the saltiness – baked / mixed with strained yoghurt with mint and chilli / on Greek salad with lightly picked onions / with watermelon and pumpkins seeds- always a winner in my book.
    Cauliflower rice paella – found this in a Waitrose mag few months ago – but can find it on Ocado website, I just checked. Really lovely and can eat with padron peppers or fresh anchovies -real spainish feast.
    My final tip , if you like cooking is to collect both cook books and recipes that fit the WOE.
    Nigella / hairy bikers / Jamie Oliver all have some great recipes- only one absolute failure which was smoked haddock with cannelloni beans – tasted like baby food, made the house stink for days and because I ate a bit of it ran out of calories – was a sad evening in my household .

• posted by Verano
    on

Nervousnellie this may be the recipe you’re looking for. Just googled ‘cauliflower rice paella recipe’ and this came up!

ocado.com
    Cauliflower ‘Paella’
    Cauliflower ‘Paella’
    Cauliflower stands up well to the powerful flavours of chorizo and smoked paprika.

Instructions
    1Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the chorizo until golden, then add the garlic and roasted red peppers and cook for another 1 min.

2Meanwhile, pulse the cauliflower florets in a blender until it forms fine grains, similar to rice or couscous. Be careful not to over-pulse!

3Transfer the cauliflower to the frying pan and add the prawns and spices.

4Season and cook until the prawns are pink and the cauliflower is tender. Stir in the chopped parsley to serve.

Ingredients
    100g cooking chorizo, diced
    1 cauliflower, cut into florets (or use ready-made cauliflower rice)
    180g raw jumbo king prawns
    2 roasted red peppers, from a jar, diced
    2 cloves garlic, sliced
    25g fresh parsley, finely chopped
    1 tbsp olive oil
    ½ tsp smoked paprika
    1 pinch saffron, optional

Serves 4
    Total time required 20 mins
    Preparation time: 10 mins
    Cooking time: 10 mins

OcadoLife Recipe published with permission from OcadoLife magazine

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 5 of 7

I love feta and I guess as you say, Nervousnellie, it’s the saltiness. Mind you at the moment I love almost anything!!

Yes SunnyB I think every little bit does help. I’ve just started to do some upper body exercises with 2kg weights and I think it’s definitely helping my waist and midriff although my primary target is ‘flabby’ arms.

So my tip for today comes from Californiagirl ‘don’t over think’ and now and again take a mental break by not counting and logging. I think this is a good idea when you hit a ‘wall’ which has happened to me at the moment. Sorry I’m not being that helpful in helping to renew enthusiasm. But when all else fails I think taking a mental break and just eating good BSD food without too much thought (no mindfulness here) for a day or so may help.

• posted by Nervousnellie
    on

Yes that’s it- interesting 10 year old nephew eats this -can’t tell it isn’t rice and doesn’t ‘like’ cauli.
    Posting made me feel peckish so looked through 2 new cook books OH gets them from library .
    Thomasina Miers recommended this for brekkie
    Greek yoghurt
    Dry roasted mixed nuts I ate pecans/whole almonds /pistachios
    Supposed to dry fry quinoa – didn’t have any so added tsp flax
    Added tiny bit Splenda and a scattering of date pieces -tsp
    Added salt and lemon zest
    Drizzle extra virgin olive oil
    The oil made it lovely- hint of vegetation in the creamy nuttiness.
    Will do that again.

NN

• posted by SunnyB
    on

My tip for today, is adding flavour with no calories or carbs. Of course you can use spices in this way, but did you know that fig leaves can be used to wrap food to be grilled or roasted and will impart a slightly coconutty flavour? It works well with fish and I have also done cheese – ricotta and halloumi, any cheese that doesn’t go runny when heated will work.

Like the sound of that yogurt concoction NN – shall give that a go for sure.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sorry to dib in again today, but just wanted to add in a little mindfulness thing. I am reading a short book called 101 Thoughts and Affirmations to Create Positive Change, by Michael Austin Jacobs and I wanted to share this qute today:

“Life is beautiful. It is your journey. Others can walk with you on the path of life, but no one can walk the path for you. Realise that YOU are the sole creator of what occurs in your reality.”

Beware, I will probably be share a few more quotes from this book along the way.

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 6 of 7

Well almost at the end of our week and there have been some great tips, exciting recipes and some unusual foods. Not sure that broccoli rabe is available in the UK and SunnyB where can you get fig leaves? I must admit I have heard of cooking with vine leaves and palm leaves but never fig leaves.

I love your quote and it is so true. Can we have another one please? I may have to dip into that book for some inspiration!

Today I am out for lunch so my tip for eating out is never go out hungry and don’t worry what others think of your food choices. Usually people are so interested in their own food that they don’t actually notice what you are eating. I know we all come to realise this in time but for any newbies reading here it really is true.

Have a good Sunday

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey Verano

From the online research I did, broccoli rabe is similar to tender stem broccoli, which we have in the UK. I actually have a fig tree in my garden (Somerset) and there are a few varieties of this tree which survive well in the UK. N.B. you don’t actually eat the leaf, but use it like banana leaf, to wrap food for cooking, whereas vine leaves are okay to eat of course.

I’m struggling today, as the scales have told me I have gained 2.2lb in two days. Haven’t been counting for two days, but am confident that I haven’t consumed enough to have really made this gain in real weight. However, whilst on some level I recognise this is very unlikely to be a true gain and is most likely water retention, I’m still finding it tough to think positively today. So, I offer these quotes from the 101Thoughts and Affirmations to Create Positive Change by Michael Austin Jacobs:

“Some people argue over whether ‘the glass’ is half empty, or half full. I say, just be thankful to have a glass with something in it.”

“Anything you desire, can be attained through the correct thinking and direct action. It is a personal decision, that can only be made by YOU!”

And finally an affirmation: “I release all negative thoughts that I have been holding onto, and in turn, let go of the negative energy associated with those thoughts.”

Sorry, no foodie tips from me today, as I’m not quite in the right head space and am trying hard not to think about food right now.

• posted by Marsie
    on

I am almost at the end of my Sunday so ever closer to the end of our week. Apologies for not being much help along the way with this thread after joining in so willingly.

I spoke earlier about Green St Kitchen’s delicious Sauerkraut. I’m also enjoying their Kimchi, the Korean version of fermented cabbage. Again, utterly delicious, with similar cal/carb numbers.
    Came home this evening after a day of eating while watching football with friends. Everyone brings a plate of something for the table and, while I had small serves, there were many serves and it was mostly BSD unfriendly. No dinner by choice for either OH or me but just now, 9pm-ish, I wanted something, anything, in my mouth. Not stomach hungry, mind you, but mouth hungry, just wanted to eat. Looking for control, tried water, not enough, so I had a couple of forkfuls of the kimchi. I think that will do it! Crunchy, with a chili bite. I know I’ve had something to eat but no overloading. Excellent!

Oh, and Esnecca, thanks for the reminder about looking for properly fermented foods, not just cooked down or pasteurized. I’m sure about this boutique producer but equally sure you’re right to warn about the more mass produced product on supermarket shelves.

And I’m with Verano …. more quotes welcome, SunnyB.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Marsie – I have been searching for real sauerkraut here in East Anglia but can only find the fake stuff. We are going to have a go at making some ourselves this week – it hopefully isn’t too difficult and should be a gut healthy way of adding a bit of variety to meals.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Marsie, I checked the website of the sauerkraut brand you buy, and it’s definitely done right. Krysia, it’s not just East Anglia. I’m afraid the mass-produced stuff has taken over most markets. I had to track down my favorite brand online and order directly from their website. Their garlic sauerkraut is worth every dime of the shipping cost. They make great kimchi, too, which my OH loves with a fiery passion. He keeps a whole jar of it at work for a snack. 😀

Good luck making your own. I’ve been too intimidated to try it but from what I’ve read the actual work is minimal. It’s just a waiting game. I’m looking forward to hearing your report. 🙂

• posted by Jande9
    on

I generally have a plateful of vegetables to go with my lean protein of choice at night and they are almost always sauteed with some kind of spice.

Cumin, coriander, garlic, tomatoes, oregano, individually or mixed in any combination, sauteed, with spinach or kale or broccoli or any veggies you want. For instance, sauteed mushrooms and coriander with spinach added at the end is nice. Cauli and broccoli sauteed with cumin and mashed when done is also nice. Mix and match just to try new tastes. Tomatoes, onions, garlic, oregano and zuchinni all sauteed together is good.

Fresh green beans sauteed with a glob of sambal olek, an Indonesian spice paste available at most supermarkets. Really good.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Esnecca – I have washed some jars – run off the recipe for sauerkraut – and have suddenly got ‘cold feet’. It is easy – but if everything is not scrupulously clean it looks as though things could go wrong. I probably shouldn’t have read the article about the dangers of home made sauerkraut.

So have looked on Amazon and they do sell the proper sauerkraut but I am quite keen to try the garlic sauerkraut from your producer if you could let me know the name of the brand.

Marsie – I am going to try your brand also. It is really helpful to get recommendations of good brands to try.

• posted by Verano
    on

Good morning all. Well we have reached

DAY 7 of 7

There have been some goods posts but for me the one that is top of my list is SunnyB’s reference to ‘101 Thoughts and Affirmations’. I had just read the ‘glasses’ saying. I’ve always though of my glass as half empty but have been trying to think of it as half full. Now I can just be grateful that I have a glass with something in it!

Roger Federer, after his win yesterday, said, more or less, that if you believe and dream and keep believing you will achieve your dreams. Maybe we should be looking more towards our mental state to improve our physical condition.

There is no reason to finish this thread because the 7 days are up and we can carry on or maybe start a new thread …. ‘ Today I will try one thing new’ . Lots of things have cropped up on this thread that are new to me such as sauerkraut and kimchi, fig leaves and affirmation. I think trying something new each day, no matter how small, could help lift our spirits and bring us nearer to our dreams … we just have to keep believing!

• posted by Marsie
    on

KrysiaD, like Esnecca, I’ve checked the gsk website and they currently only have limited, but apparently growing, distribution in three other states and none outside of Australia. Sorry to tease you about their deliciousness😔

Verano, trying something new each day sounds good. I do tend to get stuck in a rut. Should maybe revive the “one day at a time” but with a new twist.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Verano, I agree that much more than we realise depends on our mental state, when it comes to what is happening with us physically. I also agree that it would be good to have this thread run longer, or alternatively, a new thread for trying something new should be started – or both? Think it really helps have new ideas and inspiration offered by others, as you are right Marsie, it’s so easy to get stuck in a rut, recycling the same few dishes – I guess it’s easy, but after a while it can become tedious and – I think – actually contribute to defeating our efforts.

So, what can I offer for today? Well, on the mindfulness thing – and again from the same book – “I let go of my constant need to always ‘do’ something and allow myself to enjoy the present moment.’ Think in modern day life, this one is especially important – how many days go past, when we don’t take any time for ourselves and allow ourselves to centre on the present. It is important to take time to just ‘be’.

Food-wise – Jande9 has some excellent ideas there and making friends with your spice rack again is well worth the effort and can really lift the mundane. Cinnamon works great with lamb in a tomato sauce, a sprinkle of chilli can add a spark to prawns or squid. The possibilities are endless.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Marsie and Esnecca – have ordered organic raw unpasteurized sauerkraut from Amazon today. Am looking forward to trying it – I don’t think I have ever eaten sauerkraut before – not even the pasteurized supermarket brands.

• posted by Jande9
    on

I made sauerkraut and it came out fine. Chopped up a whole head of cabbage, put it in a bowl, added 1.5 tbsp salt and massaged it with my hands until a lot of water came out and the cabbage shrunk a lot, about 10 minutes. Put everything into a quart jar and weigh it down so all the cabbage is submerged. I have a ceramic disk I use to push the cabbage down. Put the lid on lose enough to allow gas to escape but still keep out dust and bugs and leave for a couple of weeks. Tastes just like store bought, but a little saltier.
    I added caraway seeds to my last batch and it tasted good.
    Salt is a good preservative so I wouldn’t worry too much. If it goes off it will smell bad and show mould.
    Jan

• posted by Verano
    on

Krysia would really like to know which one you’ve ordered and what you think of it when it arrives. We have quite a number of Polish grocery shops here so may my send my OH out on the search for raw unpasteurised sauerkraut or kimchi. Exciting to have a new taste to look forward to.

I made a stir fry with cauliflower rice last week but didn’t really like the texture of the ‘rice’. So, last night I made it with very lightly steamed shredded cabbage and it was so much nicer. I added red and green sliced peppers, lots of sliced garlic and ginger, shallots, bean sprouts, spring onions, soy and a touch of sesame oil. I had it with cooked chicken but any other protein would have been good.

Out tonight to a Turkish restaurant so it will be salad and chicken kebab for me. Bit boring when you know what you are eating even before you get there so just hoping the company will make up for that.

I do feel more energised by this thread so maybe we can carry on helping each other here.

• posted by Verano
    on

That sounds simple enough Jan. Did you use a white cabbage?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Just had a look at amazon for sauerkraut myself and noticed that someone had asked about a product from The Sauerkraut Company in West Sussex, so I googled them and found you can purchase direct from them, unpasteurised sauerkraut and kimchi, both at £3.49 plus £1.50 p&p. Ordered a jar of each and will report back, when I’ve sampled it. Meanwhile, if anyone wants to take a look themselves, their web address is http://www.arnolds-condiments.com/ – sorry I’m not tech savvy enough to understand how post that as a direct link on this forum.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

SunnyB – thank you for the link (it does come up as a direct link). I have just ordered this product from Amazon and it is much cheaper if you buy direct from them – so I will get it from them in future. So thank you for this.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – I have ordered the same one as SunnyB has – but will order directly from the company next time. I will report back also on what it is like.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I agree Verano, I think this thread has been really helpful in encouraging me to think about the BSD anew and has provided some inspiration, so I thought I might offer a couple of things for today as well.

How about …. ‘Don’t make a mountain out of a mole hill.’ …. by which I mean, if you have slipped up and gone over the allotted 800 calories, don’t make things worse by giving yourself permission to trash the whole thing by saying ‘I’ve messed up anyway, so what the hell.’ and then guzzling down more. We are all human and have days when it just doesn’t go right, but don’t make it worse than it already is.

Food wise – how about a piece of fillet salmon baked in a parcel, with a slash of pernod, pastis, or other aniseed beverage? You can also add in a disc of lemon, a little onion and even a sprig of Tarragon if you have it.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well there you go – didn’t realise that adding a direct link, was as simple as pasting in the web address! Glad it worked.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Hope you enjoy it KrysiaD and SunnyB. Didn’t realise the simplicity of making saurkraut, Jande9. The one I’m eating, and in love with, has ginger, turmeric and juniper berries added.

I’ve decided that, if I’m feeling desperate for something in my mouth, I’ll have a small forkfull of either the kraut or kimchi. I found recently that it gave me crunch and flavour without damaging my numbers, and quelled my mouth hunger.

Nice idea to keep this thread going, adds a little more to the challenge thread, and is good for stirring us to something new.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Jande9, you’ve inspired me to give it a go after all. I might use a variety of cabbages — Napa, green, red — and there’s definitely going to be garlic in there because I’m hooked on the combination.

KrysiaD and SunnyB, congratulations on finding the good stuff online. I hope you find it as satisfying and refreshing as I did. Krysia, I had tried sauerkraut before but didn’t like it at all. When I was still on the carbs that astringent sourness tasted terrible to me so I never ate it willingly. Now that my tastebuds are no longer disabled by sugar, that hit of sour has become a favorite flavor. I actually crave it! A quarter cup of garlic sauerkraut piled on top of chicken sausage with spicy mustard is one of my go-to easy dinners. A couple hundred calories, no carbs, hearty as hell.

My brand, just to add to the excellent record on this thread, is this one: http://shop.goldminenaturalfoods.com/Sauerkraut-Kimchi/products/61/ . Mail order is probably only feasible for people in the US. They do international shipping, but the cost is likely prohibitive. I’m glass y’all found proper raw sauerkraut on Amazon and on a website in your neck of the woods.

• posted by Verano
    on

Just to let you know I managed to get some raw sauerkraut from a local Polish deli. It was in the chiller and comes in a bag. Ok, so I’ve tried it and can only say that it’s a bit boring. I feel as though I need to add something to it to give it a bit of ‘punch’. I was expecting it to have a more ‘pickled’ flavour but it’s just salty. I feel as though it needs to be mixed with something. I’m not sure what to eat it with …. any ideas gratefully received!

I really look forward to knowing how the ones from Arnold’s condiments taste maybe this one is just not a particularly good one.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

It sounds like it wasn’t fermented long enough. That’s what puts the sauer in the kraut, otherwise it’s just salted cabbage. How about using it in a modified cottage pie? Sautee whatever veggies strikes your fancy — chopped celery, spring onion, fennel, a nice sharp green like mustard or radish or the rapini I continue to be obsessed with. Since you don’t eat meat, you could use Quorn crumbles or TVP for a protein element. Add it to the veg and brown with a splash of Worcestershire or soy sauce.

Enhance the sauerkraut by mixing it with horseradish and any spices (carraway is classic) or fresh herbs (parsley, oregano, thyme, even mint would be great as long as you had a light hand with it) you like. Put the sautee mixture in a casserole dish and add a layer of the improved sauerkraut, a layer of cheese (I’d go with a strong Swiss like an aged Ementhaler) and top with a cauliflower mash. Bake in the oven until the cheese is fully melted and the pie is bubbling along the edges.

• posted by Inka13
    on

Hi Verano,
    I bought a jar recently that was pretty challenging to eat but mixed a teaspoon of creme fraiche through it and that really helped cut the eye watering vinageriness of this particular one but love Esnecca’s suggestions, a mix perhaps?

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks Esnecca that sounds like a good recipe. I’m not really a meat eater, I do eat chicken and fish, but when it comes to cottage pie and Bolognese I do eat meat versions. I certainly think mixing the stuff with herbs or spices will help. At the moment I’m finding it pretty bland maybe because I do like pickled foods, especially herrings and cucumbers, which can be very vinegary.

Anyway, I’ll experiment today although I believe you need to take introducing fermented foods slowly otherwise they can cause problems.

I have almost put last week’s disaster behind me now and am just a smidgeon of a pound over last Tuesday’s weight so it’s onwards for me now. Tonight will be one of my occasional meat meals so it’s steak and vegetables. Not much to say about that really. Hope you all have a good day.

Please log in or register to post a reply.