600cal Meal replacement

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Prediabetes27
    on

Hello,

I’m brand new to this, having started and finished the Fast 800 book today! I am hoping to spend two weeks using 600 calories meal replacement and 200 calories from steamed vegetable. I’m aware in the Newscastle study they used Optifast meal replacement sachets but does anyone know if these are the best ones to get or where to buy them? Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks

• posted by Mphil
    on

Hi i am using the cambridge meal replacement which is roughly costing 50 gbp per week which include 1:1 accountability session and includes 3 x200 calorie bars/ meals/ smoothies …..its takes a bit of getting used to….

• posted by JGwen
    on

You would be better off using a free app like fat secret and learning to change your eating habits. Its sustainable long term against using meal replacement systems.

on

Thank you, that sounds most sensible

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Prediabetes27
    I’ve just answered your ‘how many carbs’ question so you may no longer be thinking about using the shakes but for info anyway…..
    In the Newcastle study, Roy Taylor used Optifast but he also mentioned that Optifast is hard to find (i.e. if you are in the UK). He mentioned that people could get Extante meal replacement shakes online. He also advised that any good supermarket shakes could be used (maybe one with similar nutrition breakdown to Optifast?).
    In the next trial, the DiRECT study, I think he used the Cambridge meal replacement ‘shakes’ – I guess part of the system Mphil is using (mind, I read somewhere he got Roy Taylor got them free!).
    Another thought – Michael Mosley has begun to sell meal replacement shakes from his Fast 800 site. He talks about them only replacing the odd meal, but if you wanted them as a bit of a backup these may be good. Given that MM acknowledges Roy Taylor ‘s Newcastle diet as something that informed his books, I imagine these ‘shakes’ would be along similar lines to those used by RT – maybe even better given times and research have moved on.
    I didn’t use any of the shakes personally but I can understand how they can be helpful as a ‘way in’.
    Whichever way you start, these diets can definitely work for people with prediabetes and Type II – as lots on here past and present can testify. Best wishes
    Jennie xx

on

Thank you, that is so so helpful. I am thinking of using shakes for 2 weeks as I don’t think I could sustain it much more then switch to real food, so that is all very helpful information! Thanks again

• posted by JGwen
    on

I would suggest having a careful look at the ingredient list on the shakes.

You may find that they keep calories low but are sweet to taste because they use artificial sweetners. –

– Our bodies are clever, because the amount of sugar which is normal to have circulating in the blood stream of the average adult is about a teaspoon. – Yes, 1 teaspoon diluted in 4.5 to 5.5 liters of blood, is normal, so you see why our bodies are designed to quickly respond to sugar in our diet. – As part of that response if we eat anything that tastes sweet our body starts to release insulin in preparation for the expected rise in sugar levels in the blood stream. – That is why artificial sweetners cause an insulin spike. And its the insulin levels that we are really trying to control.

on

Thank you – that is really helpful. This is all new to me so it is like learning a new language with all the different things to consider! I have ended up buying the fast800 shakes and will use these for max 1-2 meals per day for 2 weeks and see how I get on! I’m hoping they have the right nutritional content!
    Would insulin spiking also apply to diet coke? (as I assume it has artificial sweeteners and I drink 1-2 cans per day at the moment)

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi there 😀
    I agree with others who have advised using real food rather than shakes, and to use an App to track your macros (protein, fat, carbs, cals). This new way of eating is not a quick fix diet but a change to our eating habits for the long term. Getting to understand what is good for our bodies.
    There is lots of useful information on the dietdoctor web site to guide you – perhaps starting with this article. ( Step one is no sofas/ Cokes diet or otherwise).
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/eating-better-six-steps-down-the-carb-mountain
    Good luck! You can do this 💪🏻🌸

• posted by JGwen
    on

Yes anything with artificial sweetners will spike insulin.

• posted by Ilovecatsndogs
    on

Actually, not all artificial sweeteners will give you an insulin spike. A few good sweeteners are erythritol, stevia, sucrolose (sp?). There have been many studies about this.

I drink the Atkins shakes once in a while when they’re on sale at Walmart.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Anything sweet will give you an insulin spike. Our bodies are so sensitive to sugar levels in the blood that the body prepares for increased sugar levels based on the taste of anything we eat. That is why our bodies produce insulin in response to anything that tastes sweet including anything containing artificial sweeteners.

Please log in or register to post a reply.