6 DAYS of BACK to BASICS

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

There are just six days before the new 4 week challenge starts and I need to get back into the zone.

I have read quite a number of posts recently from people who have lost weight but then ‘slipped’ back into old habits and have regained. I really don’t want to join that ‘club’. My last few months have been more or less maintenance months with me staying around the same weight, give or take the odd couple of pounds. So yesterday I decided to take stock.

I realise that my diet is starting to include more and more in the way of ‘snacks’. More nuts, no longer three Brazil’s but a small handful, 3 or 4 squares of 90% instead of one, two or three ryvita most lunchtimes instead of a couple of times a week, an odd digestive or two with my coffee, and even the occasional packet of crisps early in the evening. So I have decided that if I am going to succeed in the next challenge this needs to stop now and I need to get back to basics quickly.

DAY 1 of 6
    So just for today ….
    No snacks apart from maybe a few nuts this afternoon.
    1.5 litres of water minimum, as I seem to be drinking more and more coffee and less water.

I am going to do my very best to be ready to go all out for our new challenge next Tuesday.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Morning Verano, I think I will join you on this one. Although I have not slipped back to carbs I do find I am having the odd too many treat foods like the chocolate and nuts. I have also got into the habit of having a couple of glasses of wine each evening and although it doesn’t do my BG any harm it does stunt my weight loss. I know that one week could see my back to my best weight so here to us (without the alcohol).

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi sunshine-girl so glad to have you on board. It’s always so much easier when you have someone else to be accountable to. By next Tuesday we will both be back on top of this WOE and ready for good results.

on

I need to lose 2.5 lbs to be back where I was, so it is very doable.

on

I am with you on the no snacking (unless I am very hungry or BG has dropped) and drink more water – as it is getting colder I forget. Did 75 mins of brisk walking this morning so that is exercise covered and definitely no wine tonight.

Poached egg and grilled mushrooms for breakfast, a small portion of Spanish chick pea soup with a Ryvita for lunch and my usual clear out the fridge omelette tonight with some put by for my late evening snack so already counted the calories. Must say it is a bit of an egg overload day and that can have consequences for my tummy but we will see.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I am a bit late for back to basics today (a cupcake at work for a good cause, although the rest of the day is okay) but will join you for 5 days worth of this mini-reboot. It will hopefully help me keep control over the Friday dinner and weekend if I remember I am supposed to be back to basics as well as keeping on keeping on which is far too forgiving of my transgressions at the moment. I need to get back to basics before the eating clean challenge.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi MnM good to have you along.

DAY 2 of 6

How did you go with snacking yesterday s-g?

I had quite a good first day back. I’m not counting at the moment but half a large avocado and some puy lentils, not together!, meant my first day was high in both calories and carbs. But, no crisps, no nuts, apart from my breakfast 10g of walnuts, no ryvita and no digestives. I did have 2 squares of 90% and two Nairns stem ginger biscuits. The biscuits were 13g of carbs but still much better than digestives. My other lapse was a glass of red but I don’t have that often and I enjoyed it. I managed my 1.5litres of water so all going in the right direction.

So for day 2 I plan on having 2 squares of 90% instead of biscuits with my coffee and hope to increase my water intake to 2 litres. I will be very happy to achieve that.

Hope day 2 is a good one for you.

on

Hi there, did well with the no snacking so no nuts. Did have a piece of chicken as my lunch was Spanish chickpea and chorizo soup but when I portioned it out for the freezer it was much less than a normal portion. Also had the leftover from my omelette for my night time snack and then succumbed to a slice of ham. I must start logging again but usually I go under 800 and seeing that I tend to give myself a little extra by way of a treat – but I still must check.

Weight back down to 76kg so 0.3 has whooshed away.

Today I had no carb bircher but that is a bit of a misnomer as I put 15grams of oats for bulk. Lunch was pho chicken (about 100 calories) and dinner is going to be a mixture of pork and turkey meatballs in tomato sauce with spiral courgette. Still have my 10g piece of 75% chocolate after my dinner. See you tomorrow.

on

Count all the calories in todays food and including planned snacks it comes in at 740 calories. Given a 10% allowance for error that could be under 700 or just over 800 so clearly 2 glasses of wine could push that to 1000 so I really dont have any cheat room if I want to do this properly. Still keeping on…

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 3 of 6

Sounds like you had a good day yesterday s-g. My day was OK. I didn’t have the chocolate but did have walnuts and almonds as snacks. I may just have been a little heavy handed with the portion of nuts! Anyway, I resisted crisps at wine-o’clock and had one glass of red with dinner. I know when the new challenge starts next week and I start counting again that treat will have to go.

So yesterday I had my usual yogurt with berries and walnuts for breakfast but I do need to ring the changes there. Lunch was two ryvita with cream cheese and smoked salmon and dinner was chicken breast with stir fry vegetables so all in all not such a bad day.

I bought some Vogel bread yesterday which works out at around 14g of carbs per slice and so tomorrow I’m going to have a treat of fried eggs on toast!! But I have today to get through first! Breakfast will be yogurt etc., lunch chicken soup with courgetti and tonight roast chicken and vegetables so looking good. Will keep my snacking to the bare minimum and will do my best to drink 2 litres of water, which I didn’t manage yesterday.

Looks like we are both gearing up well for next week s-g so there will be no excuse for us not to do well during October. We can do it we will just have to keep on……

on

Hi V. I did very well yesterday and I have lost 1lb or 0.5kg. Just shows, no wine is my answer. Although I must say I havent in all this time given in to a biscuit or a crisp but that is not will power, even when I was not on this WOE is never ate sweet things unless I was in a restaurant and it was included in the total cost – true Yorkshire lass, waste not etc. Anyway I have proved I can go without and told hubby I am not to have anything to drink over the weekend and hope to weigh in at 75kg on Monday and less by Tuesday.

By the way, that small loss takes me back under my dreaded 76kg which I always say I will not see again (and somehow do) and I am going to say it again. No more 76.

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 4 of 6

Hi s-g so pleased things are going well for you. I’m sure these short ‘trials’ do help purely because the commitment is so small. As you say ‘no more 76’ and no you wont see it again if you keep on……

Yesterday wasn’t great for me but I know exactly why. I missed breakfast and had an early lunch at 12 but then I was starving so the afternoon was full of snacking. I was snacking on BSD friendly foods just too many of them. The important lesson is that I wasn’t just eating mindlessly I was actually hungry from missing breakfast. Today will be better.

So we are half way through our reboot and getting ready for the ‘real thing’ next week. I do feel more energised and prepared to get back to 900/40 and weighing and counting. Hope you do too.

on

Morning V. Any improvement is worth celebrating (but not with wine and biscuits πŸ™‚ ). I have given my full post on Keep On etc…. but a summary is that my loss was regained but not all and who knows why – it is okay when you know why but I cant think of anything I ate except maybe 10 nuts all carefully counted out. Anyway it is not putting me off and I have been exercising like mad after watching How to Live Longer or How to Get Younger, cant remember the name which is funny because some of it was about memory. I am determined to build up my strength especially as muscle burn more calories than fat does. I would love to have a full body and brain test to see how old I am inside – just so I know how much work I really should be doing. Instead I am just going to do it. BTW I didn’t know diabetes broke down the collagen and made you age quicker – another reason to low carb.

I too find I get very hungry without breakfast – although I never go without but on Sunday I have a brunch around 11 am then nothing until dinner around 6 pm and I am always starving in the evening. I dont know how people go with the fasting – it is not for me.

Have a good weekend.

• posted by Verano
    on

Just 2 days to go …..

S-g I’m sure we can vary within a pound or so each day without actually putting on weight. Fluctuations are normal and so now I just make a note if I go up or down by more than 0.5lb. Glad the fluctuation isn’t putting you off though. Yes I have watched that program as well and realise that I need to do some sort of exercise! I do have some weights so will start using them together with doing my physio stuff. I have been immobile for so long that now that I’m recovering I need to start doing some strengthening exercises. My mobility is never going to be good enough for me to rely on walking etc as an exercise but at last I can build some muscle another way. One thing I do have to say about the program is that there always seemed to be a lot of fit looking people in the background who were never brought before the cameras. I think they probably had quite normal ‘body age’ so they weren’t news worthy! Maybe we shouldn’t be as frightened as they suggest, at least we have decent diets!

So last two days and the start of a new month …. just three left this year!!!! I’ve decided that today is as good as any to start weighing, counting and logging again. I know I’m way above the 900/40 I’d like to aim for on the next challenge. I’m going to take MM’s advice and put the nuts away in a draw so that I will need to get up and find them rather than mindlessly having an extra ‘couple’ because they are close at hand.

I’m yet to enjoy my slice of bread and this morning I’m having a spinach frittata so it will have to wait for another day. Fish and puy lentils from the freezer tonight with some sea vegetables. Last night I made a vegetable stir fry with left over roast chicken and for the first time I added courgetti noodles and they were really lovely so will definitely do that again.

Hope you are having a good and healthy weekend! Just 2 days left to keep on …..

on

DAY 5 or 6

Still hovering around 75.9 so just keeping within what I want to be. After my 100 squats 50 biceps curls and 50 triceps curls, yes my legs are aching a bit today. I was going to go on a long walk but just looked out the window and it ‘il pleut comme une vache qui pisse’ – raining like a cow ….. you can guess the rest, common French phrase. I might just do a bit of walking on the spot while I catch up on the last episode of Bake Off. My husband says how can I watch all those cakes etc being made, but as I have said before give me a pork pie or sausage roll any day rather than sweet stuff.

Today I have to make a proper menu instead of just copying meals from other weeks as my menu is becoming a bit repetitive. However, we are going away in 3 weeks and I want to use stuff up from the freezer and all I seem to have is chicken and 2 joints of pork. I could eat chicken everyday but hubby would probably have something to say – he can always cook his own, he likes to buy ready fish meals for when he doesn’t like my food choice. That’s settled, I am going to throw in a couple of days vegetarian and the rest will be chicken based.

See you tomorrow and dont forget, it is only one more day. Or 2 if you count today.

• posted by Verano
    on

DAY 6 of 6 …. last day !!

You put me to shame s-g especially marching on the spot while watching TV that truly is dedication! It’s amazing just how much of a rut we get into with food but like you I could eat chicken every day, well at least on the days I’m not eating fish. I love fish!

So we’ve done it, reached the last day and we are still standing. Putting my treats of chocolate and nuts out of sight is really working for me and yesterday I just weighed out 20g of brazils and took two squares of 90% and wasn’t tempted to have more because they weren’t readily at hand. On the other hand I do keep water with me all the time so that I have also managed to increase my intake this week to between 1.5 and 2litres. So I’m really pleased with myself now I just have to put this all into practice for the next four weeks!

Today I have made another milestone along my journey ….. I’ve dropped down to my lowest weight ever on BSD and into the next stone so a double celebration, without wine or biscuits, for me! I now have my goal for the new challenge and feel renewed and rejuvenated to keep on……

Hope you had a good weekend s-g just one more day and then we move on to the real thing!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Verano

Yep I’m back againnnnnnn, this is my 9 th time I think, but I’m only on day 6 so early days yet, but very different mindset this time. Thought it was last time, but not like this time. Anyway, Bril work on getting to your lowest, isn’t it wonderful when we reach a goal like that. That will keep you smiling all day.πŸ’ƒπŸ˜ŠπŸ’ƒπŸ˜ŠπŸ’ƒπŸ˜ŠπŸ’ƒ πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘jan

on

That’s great V. I have slipped back to 76kg but someone said I would after all that exercise. Something to do with muscles hanging on to fluid while they go into repair. Oh and I did give in and have some wine so there is the problem. Technically it is only half a pound so I am not worried and still determined to get rid of that pesky 76.

I go away in 2.5 weeks and need to have at least 5lbs leeway or I will come back heavier so I am going to keep up with the WOE and the exercise. Legs are still hurting so just a small amount today – they say you should have rest days so maybe that is today.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Jan welcome back. Pleased to hear you have a great mindset this time but the really good thing about BSD is that we can just keep on coming back again and again!

I might have dropped to my lowest but still a way to go yet!!! Come over to the new 4 week thread ‘ eating clean…..

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi s-g I’m sure that’s right about muscles and I think it was one day exercise and one rest to get the best out of a workout but I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will put me right!

I still weigh everyday but only make a note now when I have changed by more than 0.5lbs and I must admit it has made me much more relaxed than noting minor fluctuations everyday.

Here’s to our last day and pastures new tomorrow!

• posted by Pukkapies5
    on

Verano, You are so right, I too have started to slip a little, from 3 walnuts to a handful, 2 squares of dark chocolate every few days to every night. More dried fruit than I should really have.

Luckily I haven’t gained yet but I need to be more vigilant, get back onto the mostly plant-based food. I feel I want to do the last push to Christmas then hopefully evaluate things in early 2018. I’m not that far off the goal I have in mind (1st odd) and I know there is light at the end of the tunnel. My brain seems to be convincing me to put a spanner in the works but after seeing the posts in this thread it has told me we are all in the same boat. thank you all for your timely reminder!

• posted by Verano
    on

Pukkapies, I’m sure you don’t eat those!!!! I think it’s so easy to slip into mindlessly picking at nuts chocolate etc. just because they are there. Hence MM’s idea that you should put temptations out of sight at least and at best make sure you have to get up and walk and make a conscious decision to binge!!!

Putting a spanner in the works seems to be part and parcel of life for me too but following the threads and contributing as and when seems to have kept me from a total relapse. I haven’t lost much in the last 4 months or so but I have lost and not gained so for me that’s the meaning of success after 14 months or so. Now I’m ready to start losing again and this thread has helped to get my brain back into gear and I’m hoping the next 4 week challenge will show good results. Come along and join us after all it’s only 4 weeks …… ‘eating clean …..

• posted by Verano
    on

Well that’s it six days of pre-challenge prep over and for me it has worked really well. I have now got my nut and chocolate eating under control so it’s onwards to the new 4 week eating plan. Although I didn’t participate in the last challenge I have lost 5lbs but more importantly I’ve got my mojo back. Hope you have too s-g and anybody else who may be following this thread.

So it’s over we go but no matter what the name of the challenge we will always keep on keeping on ……

on

Final day and I have lost most of the gain I had when friends visited 2 weeks ago since they left. I was 5lbs up and now just 2lbs up so not a complete failure. Lets move on and get some enthusiasm going again.

Good news is that my legs are not hurting today so I will so some more squats this afternoon while watching Countdown – but not 100, maybe 50. I still did 100 biceps curls and 100 triceps dips so how come my arms are not hurting. Bizarre.

See you in the Halloween post and good luck.

Please log in or register to post a reply.