5:2 works for me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Not a lot of posts for 5:2 BSD in ages. So here goes.
    I am enjoying the 5:2 BSD lifestyle. It works for me. I continue to lose weight, albeit not as dramatically as BSD800, but I can really manage this lifestyle.
    I incorporate regular exercise and also take time out of my day to focus on mindfulness meditation.
    I commenced this journey to improve my health and just as it’s become second nature to eat low carb med style, I view exercise and mindfulness as things I do to maintain my health. The exercise and mindfulness are not yet ‘second nature’ but I’m working on it.
    What are you doing to make your journey a success? Please share.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Switzerland – when your name popped up at the to of the list I thought I hadn’t seen any posts from you in ages – great to hear that you’re doing well and 5:2 is working out for you.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Thank you Frog.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi Switzerland, I started on the 5:2 (using 600 calorie fast days and controlled but unrestricted non fast days) but switched this May to 4:3 using 800 calories and lower “maintenance” non fast days to try to educate myself on portion size. When weight loss slows I try to change things up so have just (Sept 1st) changed again to 2:5 prior to a 1st October first run at the Fast 800. I still have quite a lot to lose, between 3 and 3 1/2 stone to an officially healthy weight. It has taken me over 18 months of dieting to get this far with the largest part of the success coming after I discovered this way of eating and supportive community.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Mixnmatch,
    It’s really good that you can ‘tweak’ the BSD to suit your needs. The forums are so supportive and there’s always someone to help out.
    Best wishes.

• posted by teabrain
    on

I am really glad I found this thread. After experimenting with different forms of fasting, I am settling on 5:2 at 800 cals per fasting day. I personally feel this is sustainable; something I can really make a lifestyle. Because of blood sugar issues (always hungry!), 5:2 at 500 calories a day just did not cut it for me. 800 calories is a generous amount for a fasting day, and I know I can do this. That extra 300 cals really makes a difference. I don’t have the book (it’s already ordered from amazon), but I have been following a low glycemic load diet for the past few weeks, and the difference in my hunger levels is amazing. I will never return to my old carb-filled way of eating.

Glad to meet you all.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi teabrain and welcome to the forums.
    There’s a lot of information on this site (including recipes) to take in while you’re waiting for your book to arrive.
    As you change your diet to low carb med style you’ll notice that the constant hunger disappears – it makes this way of eating really easy (and makes the 2 fasting days a breeze). Give yourself the gift of time to become accustomed to it all.
    I’ve really enjoyed the fact that I’m no longer obsessed with eating starchy carbs. The food is nutritious and delicious.
    Best wishes for your BSD journey.

• posted by teabrain
    on

Thank you very much for the encouraging post Switzerland. Have a great day!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

So…..how is everyone going on BSD 5:2?
    I’ve been noticing that my behavior has changed on my non-fasting days. Spurred on by just not feeling hungry I’m finding that some of these days I’m naturally drifting to eating 2 meals a day.
    The other thing that I’m experiencing is a much cheaper grocery bill. It’s amazing how much I used to spend on starchy carbs/junk.
    It’s not all about food. I continue to walk most days, always with the goal of 10 000 steps. I continue mindfulness meditation – never underestimate the power of it.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I did that today, had planned another meal for lunch but just didn’t feel like it, so had early tea instead and was fine with that (and had a bit of pudding afterwards as a treat, I don’t usually). I love the flexibility of this way of eating. I had a gin as well since I’d been so good, although without the tonic. I find the tonic far too sweet now so just added a bit of sparkling water.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Mixnmatch,
    Isn’t it amazing how your taste buds ‘come alive’ when you cut out starchy carbs. I can’t believe how sweet milk tastes now, whereas before I just didn’t notice.
    Also, I used to wonder why people would decline sweet foods saying they’re too sweet. Thanks to BSD I now know what those people are talking about!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Switzerland
    We have also been amazed how low our grocery bills are now – especially since OH decided to ditch the junk this month. Our grocery bills have more than halved.

When I started the BSD the hardest thing to give up was my morning cappucino with my breakfast (my breakfasts before BSD were a huge carb feast). On starting BSD I had just one teaspoon of double cream in my coffee and would dream about the lovely cappucinos I would have after BSD. Now my taste buds love my nespresso with a dash of cream and I could never go back to the horrible sweet concoction that I used to love.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Well ….. i didn’t plan on doing 5:2 …… but that is actually but seems to be the status quo right now. I seem to have a couple of days of 800 calories and low carbs.
    I wanted to really get into the free mindfullness online course …… perhaps my sinus/cold was the universe’s way of getting me focused yet not too extreme.
    I love retirement but haven’t really worked out what that is going to look like ….. i hate the summer heat so i pretty much vegged out then.
    I’ve learned a lot more patience with myself …. hey not completely 🙂 🙂 🙂 …. we shall see what develops.

If my cold/sinus isn’t too bad …. i may take myself out for corn fried catfish and vegetables!!

I did had some nuts/seeds the last few days ….. and frankly i think they are very nutricious.

• posted by shalimar
    on

Getting over my sinus problems …. even cough is better.

Going to reboot and start the Fast 800 plan again. Going to keep at it for the whole 8 weeks …. then i may deliberately go back on 5:2 or 4:3 plan until after Christmas.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Go for it shalimar – the beauty of the BSD is that we can move between the 3 forms to suit our needs.
    I’ve noticed all of my sinus problems have disappeared since eating low carb med style…..was it always the carbs?

Please log in or register to post a reply.