5:2 fasting, is it really fasting??

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by dhouser318
    on

Hi all, I am a total newbie. I have read a lot about 5:2 fasting, read Dr. Mosely’s book, saw the doc, and have read alot about fasting through Dr. Fung’s resources. From what I understand , the benefit of fasting is that you are not eating food for a period of time, which helps with insulin spikes etc. So during a 16:8 fasting window ( I did this quite a lot with good results) a person is restricting all food intake for 16 hours, which allows the body to go into fat burning mode and use up stores of glucose etc.
    I am confused about the 5:2 fast, more specifically the “2 ” part. If a person is restricting calories to about 500 (I am a female, but I see that the fast day guidelines have changed to 800) calories a day, one is still “eating” and causing insulin responses. Maybe I missed something in my reading, but it sounded like one could eat during the ‘fast” day any time of the day.
    Really curious about this….I think it is really interesting and I am starting 5:2 tomorrow. I appreciate any help I can get !

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

Hi, the word fast can be confusing. I think if on your fasting days you ate only dinner, which was 24 hours after your last meal, then this could be considered as a fast.

• posted by dhouser318
    on

Thank you for the speedy reply Tulips !
    Yes I have been doing research and basically in his new 800 fast diet book o al gathering that the timing of the 800 meals to 16 or 24 hours is important .
    In the previous iteration of the 5:2 diet the “ fast” was more about restricting calories instead of daily portion control .
    Ultimately, I think what is best is what works for the individual !

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Which of Dr Mosley’s books have you read? His most recent is ‘The Fast 800’ which includes ‘time restricted eating’. If you wish to compare or combine two approaches do read ‘Fast 800’ before you discuss it too much. Otherwise it can get more confusing!

• posted by dhouser318
    on

Yes ! I agree with you Firefox
    I have only read the fast diet revised edition .However , I can’t seem to find the fast 800 book yet in the states
    I have read books by Jason Fung , and have seen lots of videos by Dr berg online . I am quite familiar with the subject , but after watching the bbc doc by Mosley , I was intrigued about the 5:2 protocol

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Ooooooh frustrating! The cookbook is being released in a couple of weeks, maybe you will be able to pick up a bargain copy then? If you want both of course.

Please log in or register to post a reply.