5:2 and the Blood Sugar Diet

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Michael (BSD Admin)
    on

We are all different and no one diet is going to suit everyone. That is why I have included a the 5:2 approach to doing the Blood Sugar Diet. It involves cutting your calories down to 800 calories two days a week, while eating sensibly (a low carb med-style) on the other days.

It will obviously be slower than doing 800 calories a day, every day, but it is also likely to be more flexible and less challenging. You should, none-the-less, see rapid weight loss and significant improvements in your blood sugar levels. All the best with the 5:2 intermittent fasting approach to the Blood Sugar Diet.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I thought on your other website (I don’t have the 5:2 book, I’m doing the 8 week fast plan) it said that you do 500 calories (600 for men) on your fast days? Is this a change or did I get that wrong? I will probably switch to 5:2 when I’ve finished my 8 weeks.

• posted by Michael (BSD Admin)
    on

People with raised blood sugars might find doing 500 (or 600 for men) more challenging, so we recommended 800 calories (as used in prof Roy Taylor’s research). And remember that for the other 5 days on 5:2 Blood Sugar Diet you will be continuing with the Mediterranean-style Low Carb Diet without counting calories, just keeping an eye on portions. This will increase the impact of the 5:2 Blood Sugar Diet in terms of improving blood sugars, as it provides the metabolic and weight loss benefits of intermittent fasting combined with those of the Mediterrranean-style Low Carb approach to eating.

• posted by happysheryl
    on

Dr. Mosley,

I was so happy to find your post on 5:2! I can definitely do 800 cals for two days a week. I don’t care how slow my weight loss is; this will be so doable!

Dr. Mosley, I live in the United States, and unfortunately, will have to wait until March to receive your book, which I have on pre-order.
    Can you please tell us, do the two days of fasting have to be consecutive or any two days of the week like your original 5:2?

Thank you in advance for your answer, and I’m so happy you wrote a book about diabetes for those of us with blood sugar issues!

• posted by Natalie
    on

The blood sugar book talks about moving on to 5:2 and specifically says you can do it either way (p154). Two consecutive days, like mon tues or split through the week like mon Thursday. But to be consistent, same days each week.

• posted by David Knight
    on

It is very much a personal thing. I do 2 of Monday Wednesday and Friday. So this week I am going out with work on Wednesday so it will be Monday and Friday. Next week it is my birthday on the Friday so it is Monday and Wednesday. I find that this flexibility helps

• posted by Claire
    on

Has anyone got started yet? I have not had any diagnosis but experience low blood sugar sometimes and my waist height ratio is not healthy. Very interesting to read the post above about 500cals being possibly more difficult for people with blood sugar issues as 5:2 didn’t work all that well for me, despite following it for 8 months, but I suspect this version will due to higher cals and healthier, more controlled lower carb eating on ‘non fast days’. I am planning to at least do 5:2 but aiming to get more 800 cal days in if pos. On days I go higher I will aim to exercise , 800 cals a day with exercise sounds pretty tough but hopefully I will experiment with that too. Good luck everyone starting.

• posted by happysheryl
    on

Thank you all so much for the feedback. Well, I’m impatient to receive the book as soon as possible, so I paid the outrageous shipping and will receive my U.K. copy by Thursday from amazon U.K.! I also intend to buy the U.S. version when it’s available in March, as I’m more familiar with U.S. food measurements and the price is very low on U.S. Amazon. But this will get me started.

Natalie, thank you so much for that information. I plan on starting Monday and will do two consecutive days next week.

David, I really like the flexibility of this plan too. I am familiar with 5:2 but could never stick to the 500 calories, because my blood sugar issues leave me starving. But I can do 800. In fact, as an experiment I did so yesterday, filling up on protein and veg, and it was very doable. It’s amazing how far those 300 extra calories go in filling you up. But I don’t think I can do it for 8 weeks straight, so 5:2 is perfect for me.

Claire, it sounds like you have a good plan there. I’ve been meaning to lower the carbs for quite a while now, and now I’m forced to do it because of my health. Dr. Mosley’s book couldn’t have come at a better time.

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

For others in the future, I purchased the UK version of the book through Amazon. However, i searched for a book seller from the states and did not have to pay extra shipping.

• posted by happysheryl
    on

gateofheaven (what a lovely name by the way!)..

Yeah, I saw several booksellers selling it on U.S. amazon, but none of them were prime (2 day) shipping, and I wanted the book this week the latest, so I could read it, educate myself about low carb and then officially start 2 day fasting/low carbing on Monday. I’m really worried about my health and have put off taking care of myself for far too long.

gate, did you get the book right away? Just curious, because when I order from amazon vendors it can take several weeks to be delivered.

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

I ordered it from speedyhen on Jan 2 and it came Jan 9.
    I do understand the urgency. i felt it myself. Removed all tempting foods while waiting for the book. Looked up Mediterranean diet to know what to have in the house. Prepared my mind! Started the diet Jan 10. I have a complex, tricky medical history, so i’ve had to be very careful. Have included my doc in all aspects.
    Because it is so important for me to lose weight, I’ve been very strict. Weighed everything on a kitchen scale. veggies included. i measured a ‘drizzle’ of oil – surprisingly high in calories. I use a teaspoon at a time and that’s 40 calories.
    The quick weight loss has been it’s own reward. I was gung-ho the first 5 days and then I thought, ‘this is HARD’. Didn’t feel so hot the first 6 days. Realized that I needed to acknowledge that and not expect it to be easy. But starting day 10 it WAS easy. I’d figured out what i could eat and feel well.
    I lost 9.2 pounds the first week. 5.2 pounds the second. Nothing so far days 14, 15, 16. Not too worried since I have seen others post about plateaus. I know to just keep it up. I try to keep notes about the meals that make me feel best; which ones leave me satiated the longest. I compare the easier days with the bad to see what the differences are.
    Things really started taking off when my doc showed me research about the benefits of more fat in my diet. Fat???!!! But he was right. As soon as I added walnuts or more olives or olive oil and the like, the hunger stopped and my mind became clearer.
    Good luck to you! It works!

• posted by happysheryl
    on

gateofheaven, I appreciate your feedback so, so much. My goodness, you are truly a success, and congrats on the first 9.2 pounds lost. I too have heard about plateaus. I’ve also read that weight loss is not linear – it goes up, it goes down – but it’s the downward trend, the big picture that matters.

I was going to start right in with 5:2 on Monday. I have such issues with hunger, the thought of doing 800 cals for 8 weeks sounded awful. But I experimented and ate 800 calories of protein and veg, and I can’t believe how sated I was. Well, the book will arrive on Thursday. You are fortunate you received yours so quickly! I’m a fast reader, and will get what I need from it before Monday my first fasting day!

Thank you for the tips about fat. When my husband saw his doc the last time (he needs to lose weight), the doc told him “eat more fat!”..we both thought he was crazy.

Thanks again for your feedback and good wishes.

• posted by happysheryl
    on

Yikes! 5.2 lbs. the second week! I need new glasses.

Congratulations!

• posted by Bizibee
    on

Wow, you are doing well gateofheaven and happysheryl! What a great start. I’ve just finished one week but have been using a mix of diets while doing huge amounts of reading into the background research, both for Michael’s diets and also a couple of the higher fat low carb ones in the US: Dr Michael Eades (protein power.com) and Dr David Ludwig (“Always Hungry?”). I really recommend both these authors for clarifying issues surrounding fat and cholesterol myths, something Micael M also does in his books too. I started on David Ludwig’s diet, but as I have a blood sugar issue and slightly high cholesterol I thought I’d switch to Michael’s diet as giving quicker returns, especially after reading that speed is not dangerous as previously thought. I followed some of MM’s research references to some very technical stuff. Though I am no biochemist and struggled a bit, I returned to Michael’s explanations with a new understanding of the research background. So now on my fuller eating days I won’t be worried about fats and oils and know they’ll help me stay off the carbs. I have lost 3.5 lbs on the other diet but am now on my first fast day, which regime I hope will help my liver and pancreas etc.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi happysheryl
    You can get a kindle version of Michaels book.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Clare
    I’ve been doing the Fast800 for three weeks. I ve always suffered from ‘ reactive hypos’ ie low BG attacks which are horrible. But although at the beginning I had to really spread my calories out to avoid the dreaded hypo, now I’m not really having any. I used to have to eat between lunch and dinner or I’d get into a bad state. Today I had some home made veg soup. I was fine.
    Throughout the 3 weeks I’ve been exercising as usual.
    Hope this helps to reassure you
    Penny

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

I believe it is the body burning fat in ketosis that is keeping the hypos away. That kicked in about the 3rd week. (I’m ending week 6 tomorrow). My doc said to be sure to keep the diet – for me- at high fat (although how much fat can one really eat on 800 cal, lol), moderate protein and low carb. And no hypos! Just follow Dr. Mosley’s suggestions. 50 grams of protein. Indulge in full fat milk products. That was a new one for me. I keep the carbs to 50 or sometimes 40 and that keeps me in ketosis. I eat about 1 tsp of fat with each meal, sometimes more if the calories allow it. Eating more of the complex carbs at night helps me sleep better. Think pulses, legumes.

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

How many carbs one can eat to stay in ketosis varies from person to person. I also just got from the library Keto Clarity by Moore. recommended by my doc.

• posted by Traveling Rose
    on

Hi all! Dr. Mosley (and community): do you have any stories of success for post-menopausal women with relatively small amounts of weight to lose? I’m not pre-diabetic; I’ve just gained about 10-15 lbs over the past decade and it is very stubborn! I just want to get back into my favorite jeans! I’m generally in reasonable health (blood sugars are normal) and reasonably active (10,000 steps; go to gym). I’ve started on the Mediterranean diet outlined in the book and am about to start the 5:2. In the past month just on the Mediterranean diet, I’ve felt good and maintained my weight, but haven’t lost any. Thanks for any thoughts.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Traveling Rose – yep, I too am post menopausal and had found the pounds rising and being very stubborn to shift, but had no particular weight related health issues and wasn’t pre-diabetic – was just desperate to slim down again. I believe there are lots of post-menopausal women on the forum, but I’m not sure how many in a similar situation to yourself.

However, what I can attest to is that the Fast800 works, even when you are someone who has struggled to lose weight on other diets – and I’d tried all sorts of approaches before I started on the BSD. Had a bit more than you to lose – a bit over 28lbs when I started the BSD. It took a while, but I got down to target weight, maintained for a while, but have recently decided to go back to the Fast 800, to push a little lower.

If you decide to give the BSD a go, you might find the weight loss slower than others with more to lose report, but the BSD still works. The forum is a great resource for information, support and congratulations – someone is always ready to offer some wisdom, support or cheers as appropriate. It’s worth joining a few threads, to benefit from the knowledge and support other BSDers can offer.

Hope the above is of help, but shout out if you have any other queries. Hope we will be greeting you as a convert to this way of eating, but whatever you decide, best wishes for a happy outcome.

• posted by Michele62
    on

With regard to the 5:2 I have tried a version where I stick with a Mediterranean diet based on BSD principles and two nights a week I skip dinner. I am post menopausal and it seems to work. I am losing weight slowly and it fits in with my lifestyle. I did the BSD for the first 5 months of 2017 to lose some serious weight and then moved to this version after a break. It is good to fast which I find difficult.

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Michele62 and Traveling Rose: I was in the same spot as you….post menopausal and losing weight oh so very very slowly (.5 lb a week with long plateaus). Very disheartening.

What made all the difference in the world for me was doing the 800 cal WITH staying under 20 carbs a day. Keeping under 20 takes a bit of planning and cheching labels or nutrition count websites….but it is all worth it. I have lost 31 lb since mid Oct (with 2 weeks off for Xmas…maintained, no gain).

And oddly, you will be less hungry at 20 gm carb than at 50 gm carb. You will have less insulin response and less hunger hormone released.

This is the most restrictive diet I have ever been on….and yet the easiest. Yes I get a urge to eat now and then but it is more of a head thing than a hunger thing and a cup of black coffee or even just hot water quells it.

So good luck to you. I urge you to give the under 20gm net carbs model with the BSD a try for just 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference. It is changing my world.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Luvtcook – you KNOW you put a face splitting smile on MY face with your
    <20 gm carb advice! Yes, yes, yes! It’s all smooth sailing after accepting
    that some of us have to do this. Success? Guaranteed! I’m sure that
    you know grehlin is the hunger hormone, but for newcomer’s, here is a
    brief article that will increase your knowledge:

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/your-hunger-hormones#1

luvtcook’s excellent thread “Good Eats” is full of inspired recipes. Have
    a look!

Big cheers from me, Luv. You’ve got this! 🙂

Allie

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Yep, now one of the cheerleaders preaching to the choir. I have seen the promised land and will not stop until I get there. Hallelujah

• posted by kerryanne58
    on

Well, I am 59yrs old and post menopausal I was struggling with elevated BGLs for 14yrs and Type 2 diabetic for the past 9yrs. I was hot flushing regularly and just generally feeling hot and sweating all the time ; I didnt even need to wear cardigans in winter. I was 120kg on October 31st 2017 and today I weigh 106.6 kg = 13.4kg loss in 9 weeks. I am not taking Metformin any more and my BGLs are returned to normal ranges, my GP was initially sceptical, ( and gave me a stern lecture on all things regarding diabetic comas etc) but my last visit to him he was so impressed he took photos of the BSD book and the 5:2 diet book- he awaits further results when I return at the end of the month. So now my hot sweaty existence is NO MORE. I feel bright, alert and energetic. I sleep better and sleep all the way until morning, and I am now waking up earlier and getting more out of my day. (no more of that morning foggy brain and sleeping until 9am). My attitude to food has changed dramatically- I enjoy and appreciate the food I prepare and consume and savour each mouthful, appreciating the notes and textures of each mouthful.My mobility has improved out of sight.
    I keep looking at the 3kg bags of oranges in the supermarket and realising that I have lost more than 4 of those bags in weight- this is one of my visual inspiration tools. HAPPY DAYS indeed; but I still have a way to go.

on

Wow, thanks so much, everyone, for the great and informative replies. What a warm and knowledgeable community this is; I feel lucky to be joining you. So impressed to hear of others’ great results.

I’m taking more care with the carbs and I am seeing some faster downward motion on the scale! I am intrigued by the 20 or under carbs plan. I think I’ll stick to 5:2 for now, because my husband is our main cook and doesn’t want to be usurped, though he is fine with the Mediterranean plan–and watch the carbs and see how I go.

I’ve also been stepping up the exercise, and that makes me feel good and I think it helps. I’ve started doing The Daily Burn–anyone else joined that? I find it really easy and fun, and the first month’s trial is free. https://dailyburn.com

on

Thanks, SunnyB, for the warm welcome and the inspiring story! I’m looking forward to the journey with you all, and I feel very hopeful.

• posted by Carsoobe
    on

There was a mistake

Please log in or register to post a reply.