5 weeks still hungry

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Gabby67
    on

Hi all I am in my 5th week and still feeling hungry and craving more food any suggestions? I am following the receipts in the book
    I have also noticed that my weight loss has slowed down I have lost 5.8kg in 5weeks should I start to exercise more

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi, MM does say to up your exercise by 10% each week – he suggest walking. He also says you can increase your activity easily by getting up every 30 minutes and walking around a couple of minutes – I am not sure if that is possible for you or if you already spend a lot of time on your feet – but if you do not – that may help and can be done now.
    Other than that – keep an eye on your carb intake and make sure it is not above 70g per day, most people are aiming for 50g per day and under and if you have a plateau, that my help move things along.
    On cravings – are you using the menus of the recipes? I used the book recipes fro guidance only – I am veggie so many are not relevant. What I did notice about the recipes is that some are aimed at the 5:2 and maintenance phases, not all are suitable for the 800. Also, I always check the calorie and carb counts of any recipe as a ‘tin of beans’ can vary a lot depending on make, and 3 carrots can vary from 100g to 300g easily an that is a lot of unaccounted for carbs.
    I tried various breakfasts and found 60g Greek Yoghurt, 30g berries, 3g flax, 3g sunflower seeds, 3g pumpkin seeds plus 3 chopped almonds and a good pinch of cinnamon works very well for me for breakfast and keeps me full longer than eggs. If you find one that works for you – use it every day. Likewise, homemade soup (I add in a tin of beans to the soup for protein) for me is the most filling with either a hardboiled egg or a salad (tomatoes, cucumber, spring onion, dressing). That will leave you around 300 cals 20 carbs to play with in the evening.
    If you are still getting cravings – take 50g off the calorie allocation per day for ‘snacks’ – that way you don’t go too far over the limits.
    Good luck.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Gabby67,
    From time to time I have also felt hungry and had cravings. Orchid has made several useful suggestions to tweak things. I also find it useful to have a hot drink (peppermint tea, for example), or just up your liquid intake – it helps keep you warm, and fends off dehydration (which will fool you into thinking you are craving something). I’ve sprinkled some cinnamon in coffee – it makes for a different drink and the cinnamon is supposed to help keep blood sugars level. Just doing something will help take your mind off things – if you are focussed on something that interests you, you will forget your stomach’s demands. I’m sure you will find something that works for you.
    Best wishes, Rose

• posted by TrishaDawn
    on

Hi, for me, cutting back on carbs to between 25g and 30g per day works for dealing with hunger and cravings. I seem to be very sensitive to carbs. Between meals I do feel empty but it isn’t hunger as such, so I can tell myself “Only two hours before I eat” or whatever it is.
    I also save some of my calories for a mid evening snack, maybe Greek yogurt and berries, or a small piece of cheese with half an apple, some nuts with half an apple, whatever I fancy at the time. Without that, I have problems sleeping because I felt so empty that it almost hurt.
    Even with strict adherence to the calorie and carb limit, I seem to only lose around half a kilo a week, but it’s half a kilo I wouldn’t have lost otherwise. Good luck, it’s worth the effort.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I haven’t been hungry much but I’m short, female and inactive so I might need less calories than some others. I do feel hungry after exercise though. My main problem is still wanting to snack at night even though I’m not hungry. It’s just habit. Other people have mentioned feeling empty or not being able to sleep due to hunger, I’ve generally been very full and satisfied by the food and sometimes feel like I’ve eaten too much, which is weird. Protein, fat, and a big pile of vegetables. I am def. an emotional eater so it hasn’t made much difference to me whether I’m on a 800 cal diet or 1200 or 1500 – I still want to eat more when I’m sad/bored/stressed regardless of what I’ve already eaten that day.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Natalie,
    I too have been a late evening snacker – as you say, it’s a habit, and sometimes it’s hard to break. I’ve not done too badly on this diet but there have been times when I’ve given in to temptation. Like you, I can be an emotional eater so I understand about just wanting to eat, eat, eat whether I’m hungry or not – sometimes I just have to have a splurge if I’m feeling headachey, and sometimes that has worked better than painkillers! Then I can get back in the saddle and regain control. Over the weeks I have come to realise that, for me, the best way to deal with it is to have a drink – I am sure that dehydration is the main problem. If you have to have an evening snack, make it something “good”. Sometimes I go to bed feeling a bit peckish but once I snuggle under the duvet and am nice & warm I soon drop off, and often when I wake up I don’t feel hungry. If you can cut down on the evening snacks you will increase your overnight fasting time and that will help with weight loss. The occasional extra snack isn’t going to be the end of the world, it’s when it becomes a regular thing that it causes trouble – just remember, you are in control. If you are bothered by something, then give yourself something to do that gives you pleasure and distract yourself from whatever is causing you stress. I’m sure you will find a way through this, don’t despair. Take care, Rose

• posted by Lucyjane
    on

Hi Natalie, I also feel the need for a desert so I try and stay at 250 calories during the day, no breakfast, lots of black coffee and either a soup or omlette with salad. That leaves me 400 for dinner and 150 for desert. I usually have greek yoghurt, blueberries and almonds and then herbal tea.. Otherwise I feel a bit down. It also means I sleep well and keeps me going until midday the next day…Also if I go over slightly ie 900 rather than 800 I don’t worry too much but I am making sure I do 10,000 steps every day…

Please log in or register to post a reply.