5 days in and struggling

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by love4alan
    on

I’m craving everything but what I miss the most is sweetner in my tea or a slice of toast, I’ve not craved chocolates or cakes so far which I’m shocked at thought I’d be worse, I’m crabbit which I expected but also tired and feeling low, how can I stop or what can help to minimise the cravings? I don’t want to fall off the wagon I really want to lose the weight this time

• posted by Patsy
    on

It does take a little while to get used to the changes, but it gets easier – honestly.

Could you go without tea for a while? I used to take two sugars and gave up by stopping tea and all other hot sweetened drinks for a week. I was so pleased to have tea again that I didn’t care that it wasn’t sweetened.

If that sounds too awful along with doing the rest of the diet, you could try having half your normal amount of sweetener for a few days and then cutting that amount in half for a few more days and gradually wean yourself off them. If you use tablet sweeteners you’d have to crush them.

• posted by jane c
    on

That makes sense to me. I’m allowing myself the odd drink with sweeteners, which I’d never normally touch, just during these 2 months- whatever gets you through. My mantra is ‘it’s only 2 months’. I was fine for about 10 days, but have been really hungry for the last 4. Only eggs seem to fill me up properly (I’m a veggie).

• posted by Patsy
    on

Have you tried gram flour flatbreads? Easy to make and good with curry or in place of wraps.

• posted by love4alan
    on

I haven’t tried the flatbreads where can I get a recipe for them? Or can they be bought?

• posted by love4alan
    on

No I haven’t where did you get the recipe? Can they be bought?

• posted by Amhedin
    on

It’s under the recipe tab – currently number 73. I’ve cut and pasted it here and can recommend it
    •Chickpea flour ( Besan) 9oz
    •Water( enough to make a thin batter)
    •Olive oil- 1 tbsp
    •SeasoningI use chilli flakes, celery seed, pepper, onion powder, choose your own to taste

Method
    Put chickpea flour in bowl, add enough water to make a thin pancake batter whisking well as you go
    Add seasoning , and then leave for 2-3hrs, when ready to use whisk in olive oil
    Heat frying pan on medium heat, if not nonstick lightly brush with olive oil
    Swirl batter into pan , and cook till brown and crisp, turn over and cook the other side
    Freezes well

• posted by FoFi
    on

I have the odd slice of Rye bread. It does seem to fit with the wholegrain, low GL ethos of the book, but not everyone on this forum would agree.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi FoFI,
    MM’s comments about any breads was that even the ‘good’ wholemeal products have a lot of added sugar and that is why it is not recommended in the 800 phase. Rye is on the ‘eat’ list along with quinoa etc as a grain on it’s own.

• posted by FoFi
    on

Hi, I think that MM says that some brown breads have extra sugar and that many are not really whole grains. The bread I have been eating (3 slices per week) is Biona Organic Rye Pumpkin Seed Bread (available in Tesco in the UK) which seems to have no added sugar. The fermentation process does create some sugar, but the sources I have found put it as a low GI food, with a GL of about 5-8 per slice. Those of you don’t something slightly different to the book and targeting very low carbs might find the ~18g carbs per slice too high.

Please log in or register to post a reply.