3 weeks in and feeling low HELP!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Fee
    on

Hiya. I just completed week 3. And to be honest other than the odd day of not feeling so chirpy I have been OK. Have managed to stick to 800 cals and a good amount of exercise. Had the odd cravings but have managed to distract myself…… up until now. Today has felt like complete hell. Desperate for anything carbish or should I say garbage. Distractions not helping and I know this sounds so silly but feel on the verge of tears all the time. I had felt in control in the first period and this itself made me feel good but at the moment I feel that control slipping away. Who would have thought food could have such a hold over a person. Thing is the programme has worked brilliant, 21 pound in 3 weeks. So I know it works just guess I’m really struggling today and was hoping there was someone out there who may have gone through this slump and come out the other end that may have some advice. Here’s hoping xx

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Fee. 21 pounds in 3 weeks is going some! Perhaps you need to relax the calorie limit a bit, and make room for a bit more fat to fill you up. Some full fat yoghurt with raspberries and chia? Guacomole? Smoked salmon and cream cheese pate? Good old-fashioned really dark chocolate? The important thing is not to give in to carbs. That route will increase cravings. You can do this!

• posted by Fee
    on

Awe thank you. The thought of having a bit of chocolate excites me and scares me at the same time. I have eliminated all chocolate and sweets crisps biscuits etc as I tend to be an all or nothing kinda girl. But a wee bit dark chocolate might do the trick. Have woken up today feeling a bit better having managed not to give in. I will see about getting a wee bit of chocolate in my cupboard so on times like yesterday I can have a bit to appease my cravings. Thank you for your support. Best wishes xx

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Fee
    I haven’t got any words of wisdom but just wanted to say I think you’re doing great, I really do. 21 pounds is fantastic. Good on you for pushing through. From one all or nothing gal to another, careful with that chocolate, mind!
    Jennie xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Fee, well done on the weight loss so far, so much, so rapidly suggests that you were eating a very high carb diet before moving on to this way of eating. When we change our diet in this way, our body goes through a number of changes. – For a start when we eat high carb our bodies need to keep more water in reserve to help with digestion, when we move over to low carb that water is released leading to a rapid weight drop in the early days. – I had a similar experience myself, and as time goes on you will find that the scales will show marked changes if you have a day off the wagon and then get back on.

I also went through a similar period of craving carbs when I started.

Our gut bacteria mix adapts to our normal diet, so if you have been eating a high carb diet for a while you will have a high percentage of bacteria that need sugars to survive. – Its a fascinating topic, but it does appear that gut bacteria have the ability to get us to think about eating the type of food they thrive on. It turns out that there is a clear link between the gut bacteria that digest sugar and the production on an enzyme in our blood which causes inflammation. So those bacteria that are trying to get you to eat carbs so that they can survive are the ones that in the long term will cause you health problems.

I got through the cravings by thinking that I will not give in to bullying by bacteria. – Its a long story that I will tell you in full if you are interested, but I happen to know that nature provides us with an acid which controls the level of the sugar loving bacteria. – Caprylic Acid. It plays an important role in helping a newborn in establishing a healthy gut bacteria mix. If you eat enough coconut you could get it from your diet, but you can take a concentrated dose as a supplement. I took it as a supplement (Mycopryl 680) 3 capsules a day for a month to help me get through this stage.

Stick with it, you have all of us on your side, so just call out if you need any advice in the future.

• posted by Fee
    on

Jennie – thank you. To be fair the first weeks loss (12lb) would most likely be mostly water. It was then 5 and then 4 so a more feasible loss pattern appearing. I will keep going. Have had a better day today. Feeling a bit back in control. Your kind words helped no end. So big thank you. xx JGwen- you are totally right I was a very heavy carb eater. I found what you were saying very interesting. I actually felt better knowing it was possibly not all my fault I was feeling bad and has something to do with the science of the body. Made me doubt my ability a little less. Even managed to crack a joke about bounty bars being healthy! So many thanks to you as well. Its amazing what a bit support from people going through or understanding the struggle can do for a person. Thank you all. Xxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.