3 months in and two stone lost,what are people doing now??

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Yumcheese
    on

So I started this on 1st July weighing 14st 5 3/4 and tired fatigued and addicted to carbs and lattes!

Almost 3 months later I am an amazing 2 stones lighter.

I did plateau at times and even posted once about it.

So I’ve given up calorie counting but do try and do 2 days a week of just two meals eg breakfast and dinner with no lunch or occasionally just one big meal in a day.

I don’t feel like I’m dieting and health and mood is stable ( history of depression)

I’m aiming for BMI of 25 as this is normal range which means I have around 10 pounds to go.

Any advice on how others are getting on after 8 weeks?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi there

I did my 8 weeks and lost 26 lbs, ending up at 8 stone 10 lbs, lighter than I’ve been since a teenager. OH lost half a stone but more importantly reduced his blood sugars, came off Metfornin, and his doctor has marked his file Type 2 in remission. We were both finished by end July.

I now eat from 1200 to 1500 calories per day (maintenance metabolic rate for me is 1500 calories) with no refined carbs apart from a very occasional slice of bread, few pieces of potato (sautรฉ potatoes in my cafe breakfast this morning) and some chocolate from desserts. Usually when eating out/entertaining at home.

So quite low carbs as I enjoy the way of eating

Don’t really intend to eat refined carbs again. Christmas will be an exception but am looking forward to more moderation! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Weight varies by 1 lb up and down at maximum. Keep in touch here as sometimes I feel I can assist new starters and encourage more people to have a go at taking control

Still thrilled with the results and looking forward to the tide turning re low fat, and the additional sugar it’s led to, as well as people realising the overall refined carb effects in terms of excess visceral fat and Type 2

This forum is great. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Yumcheese
    I started mid-may, and lost 13 kilos in the first 13 weeks – then loosened up a bit on what I was eating, and, unsurprisingly, stopped losing weight.
    I’ve now lost about 16 kilos altogether, but I need to lose about another 26 to get to my target weight and a healthy BMI, so I’m about to do a reboot and another 8 weeks of adhering more rigidly to BSD.

• posted by theone
    on

thank you for all for posting! I am into week 5 and contemplating on probably needing to do another 8 weeks. I have lost 5kg with BG levels improving thankfully . I haven’t exercised though and 3 litres of water has also been a struggle, maybe my results would be better if I had ?

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Igorasusul
    I would just like to thank you for staying on the forum to help new starters (and those of us who are part way through our journey). Your advice has been invaluable – and has really helped me make a success of my BSD journey. It is great that you are sharing your knowledge for the benefit of all of us on this forum.

The first thread that I read was Bill1954’s thread ‘ this has to work for me’ which is exactly how I felt when I first started. I was quite sad that he reached his goal and abruptly left. I am really pleased though that captainlynne has also stayed on the forum.

Well done yumcheese – really good results. I was a carb and cappuccino and chocolate addict and am now almost 2stone lighter.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Aw, thanks KrysiaD.

To be honest, I find everyone really inspirational……nothing like a quick look at this forum to see people achieving things they never thought they could, turning things round, taking little steps (thank you, Lucia!), and never being beaten whilst they hop along behind and climb back on the wagon.

Every time I see someone on the street who is so obviously wanting to find a solution to the ‘spare tyre’ issue, I so wish that they could find the BSD and be convinced that it CAN BE DONE, and not only that, that THEY CAN DO IT and ENJOY IT ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Scotgran
    on

I started in February at 82.7 kg , not diabetic but husband is. I wanted to show him how a change to a low carb diet could help him. I reached 68.5 kg in June and slacked off a little, mainly regarding chocolate and wine, ( but remember Im not diabetic!) but find I’m pretty stable now at 70kg no matter what I eat because I still don’t eat much carbs. I love having all the veggies and eat less red meat and more beans and pulses. Husband still not persuaded of a “diet” because he’s not overweight, so he still eats a sandwich every day,has toast for breakfast… every day, has potatoes or rice… every day and eats a packet of crisps every day, and of course… still takes Metformin every day. He can’t get the word diet to mean anything other than weight loss. Oh well you can’t win em all. For me though, it has been life changing. I’m down three dress sizes and have much more energy and never feel bloated. I’m on this way of eating for life now!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Scotgran

My OH was also not keen to lose weight, as he didn’t want ‘to look haggard’. However, Type 2 diabetic and quite interested in not doing the Metformin (4 per day on top of other medications).

So he focused NOT on the calories but on ditching the refined carbs, and also keeping overall carbs down to less than 50g per day.
    So he could eat steaks, lots of fish, eggs, cheese, nuts and was aiming for 1500 calories plus.

After a bit he noticed that his belt was needing tightening, and his waist measurement (and neck measurement) went down. He has reduced trouser sizes by two (now in 34) and shirts to medium also. Lost c half a stone, so not really very much – but the visceral fat round his waist has gone. Change in shape.

He feels fantastic – he says better than he’s ever been, partly because instead of waking in the morning and feeling exhausted, he leaps out of bed all enthusiastic about the day.

And even better are the overall results

He started BSD end May this year. Had a HbA1c blood test early June then went to the doctor and asked for her support (NOT permission) to try and take control of his Type 2 by diet, requesting more regular monthly HbA1c tests to see how he was doing.

July test showed a good drop in BS to nearly normal levels (given the HbA1c reflects 3 months of blood sugar results, this was fabulous). August showed a further fall to normal levels and the doctor said he could come off Metformin (so effectively that’s off the Metformin after 8 weeks of the BSD).

September test was also normal – doctor very impressed, especially as she’d forgotten that she’d taken him off the Metformin and therefore the results were non-medicated ones. She says he is the first person in the practice to reverse his Type 2, and after discussion she has marked his records Type 2 ‘in remission’ so that she will keep monitoring him and he will get the optician/podiatrist Type 2 checks still. Due a further HbA1c in the next couple of weeks and I’m confident the results will be just as good.

He is maintaining low carb and thoroughly enjoying it and so chuffed with himself as you can imagine.

But weight loss? No, not his priority but BETTER HEALTH certainly was – and he’s got it!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

I do hope that this story might help you motivate your husband. He will surely want better health, won’t he.

Please log in or register to post a reply.