2nd Week Struggling – Hoping for Encouragement

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by mamabees
    on

Hello all

Second week on BSD 800 and I’m struggling. I had a completely unexpectedly fantastic first week – my BS were down from 10-12 in the morning to 4.7 – 5.7 by day 4 and I’ve managed to lose 2 1/2 inches off my waist, as well as being absolutely amazed I wasn’t consumed by the growling hunger I’m used to.

(My reasons for starting are that I’m a type 2 diabetic on 2000mg metformin with morning FBS usually in the 10s and peripheral neuropathy that is getting worse. I’ve never been able to stick to a diet for more than a day and I’m ashamed to admit I’ve been living almost exclusively on simple carbs toast, crisps, chips etc with a tiny bit of protein and fruit for months now. You can imagine I am desperate for something to work)

So I should be so motivated but week 2 seems to be really hard. I feel weird – dizzy, nauseous and everything is an effort. Perhaps it’s the heat but normally I’d reach for toast or chips to cheer me up. Is this normal for week 2 – will I cheer up? Really hoping for some encouragement please.

• posted by DemiMondaine
    on

I’m at exactly the same point as you and finding I haven’t got as much stamina as I usually have. I am realising what a crutch food is for me though! Haven’t got that to turn to and wondering what I can replace food with (I’ve had many looong baths in the last week!). I’m sure you’ll cheer up – maybe you’re a bit off-colour too?

• posted by neohdiver
    on

Drink lots of slightly salty fluids. Sounds to me like you have keto “flu” – especially if you have been following the advice that many give here to stay below 50 carbs a day. It is your body adjusting to burning fat, rather than carbs. This will pass, and it will pass more quickly if you stay hydrated by drinking fluids that add about a teaspoon extra salt to your diet a day.

• posted by mamabees
    on

Thank you DemiMondaine

Obviously I wish you lots of energy very soon but it is comforting to know that this tiredness is normal. I’m hoping that the euphoria and energy will kick in any time now – well…not before bed *grin*

You are so right about food being a crutch – I’m glad I’ve had such a busy week as strangely I’m not bothered about eating if I have the diet food but I know that being around a big plate of carbs would be too much temptation.

• posted by mamabees
    on

I will try that neohdiver thanks. I have certainly lost a lot of water which is great (12 lbs loss first week) and I didn’t think about needing to replace salt

• posted by DemiMondaine
    on

I simply don’t know what to do with myself in the evenings (please don’t suggest housework). I’ve also cooked big batches of calorie-counted food, soup, chili etc so that I have no excuse when I get home from work for not eating properly. Like you I lost a lot of weight the first week, 5kg which is 11lb. That is normal for me if I stick to a diet. Interested to see what happens on Saturday when I weigh in again!

• posted by MooLoc
    on

Hi – I’m on my 2nd week too ( lost 7lb last week) and am also tired but then I am always tired! But I’m dizzy too! Glad it’s not just me but hope your dizzy /nauseous phase passes soon.
    Great results for last week – well done!

• posted by DemiMondaine
    on

I haven’t felt dizzy but I went for a hike yesterday and I was exhausted after six miles. Usually I can do 10.

• posted by MrsG27715
    on

Almost a relief to read this post! Been thinking it was just me!
    I’m also in my 2nd week and feel like I have absolutely no energy at all. My arms and legs feel heavy too.
    Was pleased with how my first week went …losing 7lbs, and no hunger pangs. This week I’m ravenous! And seriously missing wine.
    Disappointed to have stepped on the scales this morning and only lost 1lb so far this week.
    I’m usually so quick to give up a diet that’s not going the way I want it to, but I’ve felt more determined to stick with this one …well, until today!

• posted by DemiMondaine
    on

Well I calculated that if I kept up my current weight loss I would have lost 6st some by the end of week 8, so let’s say that’s not going to happen!

• posted by mamabees
    on

Sorry you’re all finding week 2 hard as well but you’re right, it is a relief to hear I’m not the only one.

Fantastic weight loss MooLoc. I’ll hang on in there with you through this week and hopefully we will be full of life in week 3.

Housework DemiMondaine. what’s that? *grin* I’m enjoying the thought of losing 6st in 8 weeks though – I’d be quite thin then. I’m knitting at the moment to keep my hands occupied, Not very good at it yet so I have a long scarf like thing with lots of holes (as haven’t mastered picking up dropped stitches) that is nearly 7 feet long

MrsG27715 8lbs gone is of course brilliant but I know exactly what you mean about the 1lb being disappointing when you are ravenous. I’m hanging on to the thought that others on here do say it gets easier if we can just get through this bit.

Looking forward to the first post from one of us saying we’ve suddenly burst into life and energy

• posted by Syb
    on

Another second weeker here. I haven’t felt ill but a little tired. Not sure if its the diet, the cold (in Australia) or work. I have been seeing blood sugars in the morning in the 7s which is awesome from someone who was happy if it was less than 12 before.

Housework – urgh. Although I was thinking I’d like a personal chef to cook my low carb, calorie meals. Cauliflower only goes so far!

Syb

• posted by Bissell
    on

Hi Mamabees. It sounds like you really started with an amazing first week’s loss. Congratulations! It’s always going to slow down a bit thereafter but it’s not always easy to keep motivated is it? I’m a second weeker too and I’ve switched my scales to kg as then I can see even a 100g loss (this morning). It’s only a few ounces but better that than nothing! I find dieting a bit like giving up smoking, there is a sense of loss, if that doesn’t sound over dramatic. Things I used to do,( like snack in the evenings) , just can’t be done any more and that made me sad. But I found with the smoking that after a while I just forgot about the old bad habits and deliberately found new healthy ones. So, treats of a different kind. An evening stroll in the sunshine ( yeah, right!) painting my nails, joining a choir, learning Welsh (!) all help to fill the time and became things I enjoyed. So I’m applying the same theory to the BSD. Hope that helps. Stick with it, we are all with you.

• posted by MrsG27715
    on

Feeling a lot better today, thank goodness. And got on the scales this morning and have lost another 2lb. That’s 10lb in a week and a half. I’m fairly happy with that considering how slow weight loss is with some other diets. Plus, I don’t feel deprived on this diet as I have done with others, which has led me to give up.
    Bissell …I see you’re learning Welsh. Where are you from? I live in South Wales, but do not speak the Welsh language. Good on you for learning! Languages are not my strong point!
    Hope everyone is feeling well today, and keeping up the good work 🙂

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi folks, remember Dr Mosley says the first two weeks are the hardest!! After a short while all those early niggles disappear and you will be full of energy and not be feeling hungry 🙂

• posted by HappyLife
    on

Hi there,
    I am in my 3rd week and have amazing energy BUT in week 2 I had a couple days I felt very weak and like I might faint. I upped my water intake a lot because I read in the book that you lose a lot of water with the fat leaving so you must drink a lot (I forget how much).

Also take t easy on yourself through week two as the energy does seem to come back for all. I feel more energetic than I have in years but week 2 I thought, ” how are people exercising? ”

A doctor I know told me it takes a little while for our bodies to figure out where to find fuel when we switch from carbs to protein. It keeps looking for carbs for days and then once it figures it out we feel great again. It’s that few days it doesn’t know where to look that we feel weak. As if we hadn’t eaten almost.

Best of luck everyone!!!

• posted by Bissell
    on

Hi Mrs G. Glad the weight loss continues, that’s the best motivation isn’t it! I live in Monmouth, South Wales and I started learning Welsh when I retired. I speak it with an Essex accent!

• posted by Cicipops
    on

Reading all your posts is encouraging. I’ve just completed my 2nd week , and today I’m feeling a bit faint. I’ve been great up till now. First week, I lost 8lb, and 1.5lb this week which was a bit disappointing. I know however that I can’t expect the same weight loss as in the first week, and am still encouraged to find that despite the low weight loss this week, I’ve lost 2 inches from my waistline. I’ve also joined the gym in the last week and have been doing 20-30 mins on the rowing machine which is burning calories. For me, the diet is easy to stick to. I don’t feel at all hungry or deprived, have had a few ‘naughty’ eats since starting – and surprisingly already I have found them too sweet, which is a bonus. Hopefully that means I won’t want to eat so much of that stuff in the future.

• posted by DemiMondaine
    on

I do find when I’m losing weight that the amount I lose off my waistline in any given week bears no relation to how much weight I’ve lost. So I might lose 5lb in a week, and nothing off my waistline, then 2lb the next week, and 4 cm off my waistline. It’s odd.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi DemiMondaine,
    An idea – my not work for you, but if you have the data, look at your daily carb readings. You may find that your calories are constant but carbs are not. When the cms are coming off of the waist, you are on (or have been the period before that) your optimum daily carb intake. When the scales are dropping and not the waist – the carbs are too high even if the calories seem ok. That worked for me when I was not losing from my waist.

• posted by Bizibee
    on

Hi all. Do make sure you have enough fat or oil as that will replace the lost glucose but won’t spike your edrenaline. I was weak on and off for a long while, two or three weeks, but now much more energy. I read a couple of papers that said insufficient fat was usually an issue. I’ve been cooking chicken breast in a bit of butter and garlic, eating oily fish and putting butter on my veg. Tastes much nicer!

• posted by Plantartist
    on

This is Day 8 and I too am feeling rather rough today. Jelly legs type weakness. From what I see in your posts it should pass soon. You are all doing great! Keep it up, it’s worth it!

Please log in or register to post a reply.