2022 ASPIRATIONAL APRIL – One week at a time starting 29th March 2022

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, I am setting up a new thread on behalf of Wendy (Wendleg) while she is strolling along the left bank of the Seine a gay Paris (or Paree if you speak French). Thank you Verano for the name suggestions. Went with aspirational April but lets hope we are nobodys fool. Just 3 days left of March and we are all looking forward to Spring truely starting. Just wrap up well for the coming week and wear your motivational socks and coats and come and join us for another week of being each others cheerleaders.

If you are struggling then this is the place to get a helping hand. If you are doing well then we will cheer you on.

Good luck everyone and enjoy the week.

on

Here is a list of all our old and new followers. If I have missed anyone just give me a nudge and I will put you on. And if any of you are missing in action maybe it is time to rejoin us.

Wendleg
    SunnyB
    Sunshine-girl
    Florob85/Lauren
    Antigone
    RubyG
    Onestep
    Tulip1/Clare
    Verano
    Elle-Mae
    Russianroulade
    Californiagirl/Julia
    Stevoka/Kerry
    Windyjulz
    JGwen
    Quetzal
    Catenelson
    Riccoh
    Sixturkeys
    Greenbean
    Merrymelba
    Prittimistri
    LauraY
    LittleDrummerGirl
    Natalie( without an H :-))
    Bravef800er
    Chocolat
    AnnieW
    AnnaBnanna
    Mokovex
    OlivesAndTomatoes

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks so much SG (Denise !) I’m a bit unreliable right now and am presently resting my weary feet after being out all day walking along the Seine,le Marais,Saint Paul, the Louvre, the Opéra…that’s enough for today. Presently cooking some Mediterranean veg with hams and cheese. There are couple of mille feuilles and a slice of gâteau basque on offer too…I may have a slither..I’m on holiday 😉. It does feel good to be away after so long. We are still wearing our masks and using the hand gel frequently as I reckon our risk of catching covid is pretty high . C’est la vie !
    I will check in when I can . Wishing everyone a great week xx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

just reported the above post!

SG- thank you for setting up the new thread 😊😊

Wendy- have a lovely time in Paris with your son xxxxx

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi.
    Thanks for the thread s-g.
    Enjoy Paris Wendy.
    Well last week wasn’t quite as bad as I’d feared as I did lose a few pounds but I’m still up overall on March. No problem because we are almost into Aspirational April.
    Just have to keep the faith!
    Have a good week everyone.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

I’m back!

Wendy, Paris not having to eat outdoors in chilly winds – should be wonderful.

I’m 87.5 kg and 26 BMI so quite a bit wider at the waist thsn I want to be. I have a good exercise routine and walk everywhere so I want to eat all the time too. That has kept me my blood sugar level in healthy range but my belly is getting bigger.

I went shopping today and thought to return to the cauliflower substitute for potato again. All my meals at the moment include potato so that’s an easy win.

My goal is to fit into my size 14 jeans for my holiday in Sicily in May. Before then I am in Antalya in AI with delicious food! Somehow I don’t see myself holding back!

• posted by RubyG
    on

RubyG still here, still playing about with the same few pounds either side of the 12st mark and still making the same excuses.

On a positive note, I am not resorting to carbage and I am not gaining overall, but I cannot for the life of me find sufficient motivation to stick with this for any appreciable period of time. I have started to exercise a bit again, the motivation being that I want to improve my strength and flexibility to do the things I want to do this summer.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi RubyG, we are both here reminding ourselves that we need to keep trying.
    I just stumbled on the soup thread. I have a Soup maker and am going to try the cauli and red pepper soup – just what I need to up my veg intake

• posted by RubyG
    on

Yes, by logging on I am still trying 🙂
    Oddly enough, lunch today was leek and cauli soup with wild garlic pesto stirred through – it was good.
    P.S. I don’t have a soup maker – saucepan and stick blender for me 😉
    I have been back in the office a bit, so no “smelly” lunches which may offend colleagues.

on

Hi RubyG and Patricia1066 (Patricia we will add you to the list). I seem to get stuck at a weight. Currently is it 73kgs which 11st 6lbs. I have to be grateful though as a few weeks ago it was 75 then 74. However, I am going away in less than 2 weeks so really really want to be 72 before I go.

Back on with the Spring cleaning, mainly because we have a housesitter coming for our holiday so everything has to be ‘4 In A Bed’ clean, if you know the show. Hubby is currently doing the oven and moaning like mad while I have just done 2 bedrooms and the bathroom including the windows.

Waiting for my new dress to arrive – last date for delivery is today but you can bet it turns up tomorrow when we are out shopping. Anyway lightinthebox I dont think I will be using you again.

Enjoy the rest of the week.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl, you really are seeing good results. Well done.
    I have been between 87 and 89 kg for a month and with a moderate amount of bread and potato, no snacks just not seeing any shift in my weight or size.
    I am reviewing my habits and I am going to eat more soup and cut out cereal and bread. I know what to do after all this time, I just have to do it to see results.

• posted by Cholesterolypoly
    on

Jumping in if I may. I’ve just had a broad spectrum blood test ( first time ever) which has revealed that my cholesterol levels are a bit high – everything else is good though! Time to lose some weight and I believe this WOE is a good way to do it. You ladies are achieving good results so I shall be following any tips and advice on the board. Looking forward to joining in 🙂

on

Hi cholesterolypoly – wow thats a mouthful. Welcome to the site. There are several of us who used to have cholesterol problems. I cant preach as I have familial so no amount of good diet would help me but this diet has helped to take me from 6.2 to 3.8. Dont be afraid of good fats like olive oil, rapeseed (avoid vegetable oil because they are mixed with other things), try avocados, walnuts and other nuts and plenty of leafy greens. If you google good food for cholesterol there is a list of about 12 items including oily fish as well as what I have mentioned. Do not be afraid of eggs – they are no longer considered high cholesterol foods.

Sometimes just losing weight can bring big improvements. Let us know how you are doing.

Patricia I can honestly say that besides a once a month oat based breakfast I havent eaten any breakfast cereal for 6 years, cant remember the last time I had potato and only ever have bread if I am in a restaurant and dinner is taking its time. And with covid I have only been to restaurants about 4 times in the past year. Not preaching, I am diabetic so know these things are killers for me. That is not to say I couldnt fancy a jacket with cheese.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi All…..

RubyG (and Patricia and SG)…..I also have been playing about with the same couple of pounds for a couple of months now, sigh….my clothes are really tight, and this isn’t where I want to be….

Why can’t I? I started to make some progress but was derailed by mother’s day….and now need to get back on track….I was hoping to have made significant progress by my hol coming up (11th April)- I wonder what I could still aim for?

Answers on a postcard?

Cholesterolypoly…..I love the name!! Clever 😁 and welcome ☺

Love to all,
    Clare xxx

on

Hi y’all (thought I would be different today). Well my dress has finally arrived, one day late but I did it to test the company so I dont make any mistakes for the wedding (August). So glad I did. The dress looked so pretty but it was cheap material, cheap finish and wouldnt have fit my 10 year old step-granddaughter. I asked hubby if it would fit if I lost a stone and he said, no, 2 stone more like. And thats not just because I am big. Trying to send it back but it will probably cost me. Hey ho, we try these things.

Tulip, the secret to losing weight is…… who the hell knows. Will that fit on a postcard. For me it is determination and I have been likened to a little terrier (dog). Once I get my teeth into something I wont let go. I know I am stuck at 73kgs right now but just before Christmas holiday I was stuck at 75kgs and the year before 77kgs. (I have a long postitnote stuck to my desk going back to when I started so I dont forget). If I go back further I was 82kgs. I know life gets in the way and I will probably come back from my April (11th like Tulip) holiday weighing at least 1.5kgs more – I gained 3lbs over Christmas. If I can get down to 72 I have some leeway knowing there will be some damage. Then I will start all over again but not from a not too bad place. Because of my diabetes (dont know if I have mentioned that before 🙂 🙂 ) I have a health reason for being ‘good’ and stick with the food plan almost to perfection. However, when it comes to the weekend and a glass of wine or vodka on offer, I find it hard to resist. No such problem during the week so I just tell myself it is only 2 days. Get over the 2 days and I am okay again during the week. Sorry to go on but life is complicated. I am of the mind not to go anywhere like there is a pub quiz next week that involves a meal and drinks but for me it is too close to the holiday and I dont want to spoil it.

If you are lucky enough to be doing this diet just to lose weight with no medical issues try to remember it is not forever and once you get to where you are comfortable you can ease off. Even if that is not your total goal at least you can have a break. Take it in chunks when you are strict and stick to it with real determination. Even if you do it in 2 week chunks then a weekend off you should still be winning. The expectations of this diet are great weight loss in the first few weeks but all diets slow down after a while so dont get disiillusioned when it is not 5 or 6 pounds a week. (Can I say I dont mean to diminish what you are doing and I dont mean JUST to lose weight as though it is not as important – all your reasons are important and valid).

Just stick with us. My ultimate goal is to stop injecting insulin every night and according to my last doctors appointment, I am almost there. Yet I know my BG will rise due to being lax on holiday and it will cause a set back on my final goal but that wont stop me from continuing towards it. Just keep on keeping on…..

• posted by Cholesterolypoly
    on

Sorry the dress didn’t work out SG but you were prepared.
    Just wondering what people’s thoughts are on home test equipment – for me it would be for cholesterol but there are loads available ( blood sugar, blood pressure etc) seems like too much choice and the prices vary so much. Any one have any recommendations?

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi everyone! Good to hear from so many — Wendy, have a lovely holiday in Paris /- wow, Mille fuille, now that’s a happy memory — I hope you enjoyed, and enjoy some more!!

So, I just want to inject some ideas that are mine — no aspersions on other ideas — but here’s my thoughts:
    We might look at this diet not as a “diet” but a very healthy plan for eating for the rest of our lives PLUS the holiday treat times.
    That means, most of the time we eat the way it’s best for our brain and body (low carb, good quality protein) and now and then, eat a treat or two. But we go back on the healthy thing at the very next meal.
    Isn’t that “real life”?
    Can we stop castigating ourselves for eating a treat?
    Can we stop “reporting” our “bad” behavior?

There are more reports of failure than success.

Only YOU know what you are eating.

I think the evidence is very clear. Controlling carbs and prioritizing protein is healthy for brain and body. Keeping insulin LOW is the goal.

It’s bloody hard to lose significant weight and keep it off. Diets really only work for a short time. Our aim should be to make ourselves AS HEALTHY AS WE CAN POSSIBLY BE.
    I love your British term “rude health”!
    Aim for rude health friends, love yourself — enjoy your life. Don’t obsess — just “do”.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Wise words Cailforniagirl. Yes – most of the time we DO eat good foods that are good for us – and I agree that there is no need to castigate ourselves. I have been in maintaining mode for a while just puddling along. Even though I would like to drop a couple of kgs I am happy where I am with the few ups and downs. Rude health is good 👍
    Good to see you back Patricia 🌻
    Your soup sounds delicious Ruby. The weather is starting to cool here so time to get souping again.
    I don’t have any suggestions Tulip – but I have been keeping away from wheat products for quite a while (not just bread) and that seems to help with bloating etc,
    Like other places around the globe Australia is dealing with the B2 variant. I tested positive this morning after managing to avoid it for 2 years! Grrrr. But so far so good. Just some sniffles. No fever. I’m well stocked with food, so salmon and broccoli tonight, plus some “medicine” a friend dropped at my door – 80% dark choc 😁

on

Hear hear California girl. I do get a bit fed up with people (and not talking about anyone here) who go on the diet and expect it to work with no effort and continually moan when they have had something they know is going to scupper their efforts but dont seem to understand why. Especially when it is in week one or two. Why bother. I just want to encourage people that it can be done and I do join in the weight conversations but my focus is on my health and, even after all this time (nearly 6 years) I have never given up hope of gaining full health and I am nearly there. That is why I am still on this site – I want to encourage people to do it, especially those with health problems.

Talking about soups, I have a big bag of onions and I am going to batch cook some French onion soup (although there is no such thing in France, it is just onion soup). Just like there is no such thing a French windows or French fries, and so on. Just done a lesson on commeunefrancaise about all the French things the French have never even heard of… :):)

Back on the health. BG is down in the low 70’s or high 60’s and insulin dose is down to 13 units.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Our exercise class is run by a very fit nutritionist who hates talking about food! He is actually really in favour of maximising nutritional value per carb, so sweet potatoes rather than white; and cauliflower and broccoli better yet. He eats 5 eggs for breakfast every day and as we are on average 30 years older than him he recommends this for us also to boost our protein intake, as our body loses its efficiency in digesting food as we age.

Once every six months he does a 5 day fast with a 1,000 cal salad, (one meal a day) followed by 4 days of 800 calorie low carb meals. He doesnt want to lose fat, he wants to have “apoptosis” of waste and dead cells in the body.

• posted by Verano
    on

“AS HEALTHY AS WE CAN POSSIBLY BE”….. yes Julia that’s exactly what it’s all about.
    Sometimes we do become bogged down with those odd pounds up/down and the number on the scales but as you say we can so easily become ‘obsessed’ . I must admit I’m guilty as charged sometimes when I’m part of this thread, which is why I drop out every so often.
    Thanks to both you and s-g for your posts they made me sit down and rethink. It’s time for me to take one day at a time again and just ‘prioritise protein’ and cut back on my odd carb overdoses. When I do have a day with more carbs than normal it is usually a conscious decision and at least I enjoy them! This is after all, as you say, our ‘life’!

• posted by Workingfromthefridge
    on

Hi all – I’m back after a long period away. Lost about 10kg at beginning of last year and was in good habits and have let it drift… so gradually have put back nearly all the weight. Apart from wanting to feel healthier and less sluggish again I have had an ankle injury about six months and it doesn’t feel like it is improving. Losing weight can only help! Sunshine girl one of my all time favourites is French onion soup so will make some too – minus the huge bread slab! Also the roasted mushroom and garlic soup someone posted looks good. Starting out with four weeks at 800 and no alcohol but enjoying diving back into the recipe books. Have so far made some creamy fish pie and kale and bean soup with pesto. Spiced apple and porridge for brekkie. My regular faves are mixed veg/ vege sausages/ lentil bake, a similar haddock dish with lentils and the chicken risotto with artichokes and bulgur rice. Anyone else recommend any particular dishes? I have the three 800 recipe books. I’m lucky enough to be doing this for straightforward diet/ health reasons – I know some of those dishes are too rich in carbs for some. Anyway, nice to be back and the spring? Break in Paris sounds lovely. I am also looking forward to ‘new’ clothes – the ones not fitting in my wardrobe!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Morning all, and thank you for the reality check CaliforniaGirl and wise words from S-G.

I came to this WOE due to hubby being diagnosed as pre-diabetic, with high BP and early markers of fatty liver – he has completely turned that around, losing 7st in the process, and I joined him on the journey to support but also to lose weight myself.

We have both found that strict adherence was much easier in COVID lockdowns as there was nowhere to go, but as normal life has started to return, we both have a good foundation to maintain this WOE for health reasons. We are both going into the office a few days a week (packed lunch) and travelling for work, in the UK mostly, but I have my first European trip planned for next month.

Hubby worked through the weekend (extracurricular studies) and I had a good weekend outdoors (cold but sunny and mostly dry) doing some gardening, foraging for wild garlic, and a bit of food prep and preserving – not much screentime and too busy to snack.

Breakfast today was poached egg, sauteed mushrooms and a teaspoon of homemade wild garlic pesto 🙂
    Lunch will be broccoli and stilton soup I think – the UK weather is once again foul so soup will be good.
    Supper will be leftover roast lamb shoulder with purple sprouting broccoli and courgettes with lemon and wild garlic pesto.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Morning/evening everyone ! I’m back from our week in Paris and it was lovely, not just seeing my son and his partner but wandering around Paris and drinking in the sights while decent weather allowed . We walked loads, often to get to a metro station with a direct line back to the appartment to avoid the endless stairs and save hubby’s painful knees Lots of café breaks and a few special treats . I hadn’t been to Paris for several years and it does remind us how peaceful our rural area is. Lots of bustle and many ,many scooters and bikes everywhere. We’ll be back !
    The weather was a bit harsh towards the end of the week and our house was COLD on our return ! This is April and it’s normally a lot warmer . I got back to my usual fasting routine ( mainly because we didn’t have much grub in the house :-)) This morning I defrosted some bones which I roasted and chucked in a few herbs , ginger and onion to make a sort of broth . That is simmering away happily in the slow cooker .

Thanks so much SG for keeping the thread going .I admit I have only just caught up . Patricia !!!!! Welcome back ! Good to see you ! You always gave sensible advice and were very focused . I am sure you will see the results you want . Like SG I haven’t had bread or potatoes for years and fortunately don’t miss them at all .

Welcome back Workingfromthefridge ! Sorry about the ankle injury.
    I like divalicious for recipes

https://divaliciousrecipes.com/

and Melissa Sevigny’s I breathe I’m hungry website

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/recipes/

RubyG I love a bit of foraging too ! Yes, wild garlic and also mustard garlic , nettles, dandelions, wild chives .

Welcomecholesterolypoly ( you will get called CRP !!! ) You may already know but low carb, high ( healthy) fat can show an increase in cholesterol but there is lots of research to say this is not necessarily dangerous .You could have a look at
    The big fat surprise by Nina Teicholtz
    https://thebigfatsurprise.com/
    There are videos on the subject too .

Julia as you can see I am certainly not castigating myself for any Parisian treats and I too hate the idea of being ‘bad ‘ . Back to my normal routine , enjoying life because yes we are still here and not obsessing at all . Thank you for your wise words . Keep reminding us of what is important… our long term health .

We are both well and hopefully dodged any Covid nasties. Masks were worn at all times on trains and the metro and to be honest I kept mine on most of the time and when we went to the theatre and to an exhibition . Hand gel always at the ready .

The sun is shining here in SW France .Life is good . Lots of love to our ‘regulars ‘ Great to hear you are looking forward to holidays .
    I will be back later to set up the new thread ! Have a good day/evening everyone xxx

Wendy xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

I am back to set up the new thread !

Please log in or register to post a reply.