1st week done – now an "eating out" challenge!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by gooismeid
    on

I’m doing this for two reasons – one, I’m about 10kg over a “normal” BMI and have been ever since I had my youngest child (who is now 14!). Two, my husband is type 2 diabetic controlled by tablets at the moment, but neither of us are getting any younger and we both want to live to a healthy old age. The first week on the 800 BSD was tough, but I’m pleased to say I’m 2kg lighter than when I started so that’s a big incentive to continue. I did lapse a bit when a colleague brought in some birthday cupcakes, but I found I didn’t really enjoy it at all as it was way too sweet and sickly. I have found myself craving toast, but I know it’s not actual hunger, more habit.

But now comes a bigger challenge than avoiding the breadbin – eating out.
    Has anyone got any ideas for restaurants (chains like Pizza Express/Cafe Rouge/Giraffe, etc.) where there are low carb options that I could pick? We’ve promised to take our teenagers out for a meal so I don’t want to disappoint them, or put myself in the way of too much temptation…

• posted by captainlynne
    on

If I know where I’m going I check out the menu online, so can decide beforehand what I’ll eat. Think most of those do salads (ask for dressing on the side). Cafe Rouge may do poultry or meat with veg, not sure – a long time since I ate there! Not sure about Giraffe. A quick check online should help.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

We went to a Wetherspoons and I Had a steak with salad. All calls are given at the side of the menu. With a shake for breakfast and some salad for lunch I was still inside the 800. Until I had the wine but that’s another story.

• posted by Rubbu
    on

Hi gooismeid
    I went to pizza express Friday and had a chicken ceaser which contained Parmesan and anchovies (estimated 300 cal)I I asked for no croutons, dressing on the side (used about a tablespoon and estmated 100 cal) and gave my dough bread to my son and other half….it was difficult to not have pizza and dough balls but I kept reminding myself why I am doing this…I ate slowly and enjoyed every mouthful. I also had a glass of wine (200 cals) had lots of water and had been for a brisk walk prior to the meal. We finished eating at 20:00hrs so I fasted 16 hrs having a brunch at 12pm… Hope this helps

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Well done Scotgran and Rubbu. Great to hear how folk deal with eating ot 👍

• posted by gooismeid
    on

Thanks for the replies – always useful to know how others are handling this. In the end we went to Cafe Rouge and I had a small steak with salad, dressing on the side (although it took the waitress three goes to get this right – first I had to send the fries back, and then the salad arrived with dressing on it! ), and a sneaky spoonful of no. 1 son’s ice cream for pudding, with a coffee. It all tasted good and I didn’t feel like I’d missed out on anything.

• posted by Rainybow
    on

The superfood salad at pizza express is only 350 calories ( says it in the menu ) and very filling especially if you take the option of adding the chicken . It salad and avocado , beetroot , goats cheese and lentils with dressing .

• posted by elizabeth2nd10
    on

Beetroot, Lentils full of sugar. THIS HAS NOTHING TO WITH CALORIES IT’S TO DO WITH SUGAR!!!

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

In terms of chains, Nando’s isn’t a bad bet, with chicken and salad not too bad, just avoid the extra sauces.

Beetroot and lentils are a bit carby but can work in moderation.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I love beetroot and have often worked it into a salad. Lentils are on my ‘to do’ list now I am maintaining. I usually have the steak without the chips when I go out, but had a cauliflower rice ‘risotto’ last week that was absolutely fantastic. I will be doing my best to reproduce it while I can still remember what it was like, and will post the recipe if I manage it.

Please log in or register to post a reply.