16 April '18 starters, all welcome

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mumofcrazynamedkids
    on

Who is starting tomorrow?
    Old timers or New, I have done before, very successfully initially, but life got in the way and set me off course, so I am back to start again and very determined to shift the weight. I am not pre diabetic, but I am nearly 3 stone overweight, heaviest ever (barring pregnancy) at age 45. I need to really get this WOE ingrained, this has to be the norm. No more carb binges. But an acceptance that if that happens (we all fall off the wagon) we can get straight back on it.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi,
    There is normally a 4 week challenge where we all set out our aims for the weeks and weigh in/report progress each Tuesday. – A wide range of people join each challenge from those starting out, to those who are in the middle of a long program of weight loss. Breaking it into 4 week steps works well for most people. The next 4 week challenge will be starting next tuesday, and will have May in its title. Why not look out for it and join in.

• posted by Pancita
    on

I’d just love to know your kids’ crazy names! 😀

• posted by Beth55
    on

Hello, I’m planning to start 5:2 tomorrow (Monday April 16). I did the low carb med plan last autumn and lost ten pounds but have regained it and now really want to get back on track. I have been exercising consistently the past few weeks but have been totally up and down with my eating. I worry about fasting as I have tried it before and found it hard. I think it’s a matter of sticking with it so I am posting this as a way of getting started. Tips and suggestions welcomed. Thank you. Beth

on

Hi Beth, glad to have someone else on board! I did the 5.2 about 4 years ago, straight after the horizon documentary aired, was really successful then, and I lost 12 pounds, but over the past year or two I have gained back and (a lot) more 🙈
    Life was pretty stressful, so I am not too despondent, I just didn’t stick to it. But I really want to try and turn things around permanently this time. I need to build I. Regular exercise so that when I hit goal weight I can still have wine and some occasional splurged, but maintain the balance!
    So on your fast days how many cals and carbs do you do? And what do you do on the non fast days? Stick to med but just not calorie count?

on

Ha ha Pancita, they are Gypsy Snow and Pirate Jack 🤫

• posted by Pancita
    on

Fabulous, I love them. I wish I’d had more imagination when naming mine.
    Good luck with your BSDing xx

• posted by Anise76
    on

I started on Monday, and so far – touch wood – I’m feeling okay. I have a LOT of weight to lose – almost 6 stone – which has crept on since starting a sedentary job 13 years ago. Every time I’ve tried to lose weight in that time, I’ve lost a bit, then put it all back on again, plus more. I’m at my heaviest ever at the moment, and need to make a change. I’m also gluten intolerant, so am looking forward to being able to literally eat anything from the plan, without having to worry about substitutions!

on

Hi Anise, I know what you mean about sedentary, I used to cycle everywhere as I didn’t drive, but since leaving London 4 years ago, and learning to drive, things have got a lot lazier.
    I have just bought a new bicycle, so am hoping that will get me out and about again, although, I definitely find that the more I exercise the more hungry I am, I do need to start doing some HIIT. But, one step at a time!
    This week is going well, I have lost 3 pounds, but am aiming for 6 by next Monday (and hoping for 7!)
    I haven’t had the headaches yet that I have had previously, so hopefully I have swerved this time, but tomorrow might be different.
    What is the hardest thing for you to cut out?

• posted by Anise76
    on

I’m a shift worker, too, so eating patterns are really, really crazy for me! I’ve been off work for a week, and go back on Saturday, so it’ll be interesting to see how I can make this work on shift.

For me, the hardest thing to cut out will be rice. I LOVE rice! I plan on giving the cauliflower rice a go, though, so hopefully it’ll work for me. How about you? What are you finding hard to cut out?

on

The shift patterns sounds tough, although I find it toughest when I am off work, work days are definitely easier, being home with the kids is when it gets trying. Especially when my temper gets frayed when I am hungry.
    I have learned to get home and if hungry, immediately have a snack, like a boiled egg or stick k of celery with peanut butter to stop me getting bad tempered!

Most difficult thing to give up is wine though, the desire to have a glass is so bloody strong, can’t see how this is ever going to be got over long term, but currently the desire to get fit and healthy and into clothes 1 and 2 sizes smaller is outweighing the booze temptation🤣

• posted by Sadteacher
    on

Hi All I’m new to this diet and would welcome the help guidance support etc from those who have been doing it for a while….day 2 today not feeling too bad but blood sugars are a bit random 8 this morning 4 half hour ago on my meds am usually pretty stable at 5.5..am hoping this will sort itself out ?? I would like to join the next 4 week challenge when will it start??
    Mandy

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Sadteacher,
    Come on and join us on the current 4 week challenge, they simply work by giving us the option of saying when we join the challenge our target for the challenge – (if we have a target rather than being at the stage in our journey where we are just following the BSD to continue weight loss and are Keeping On Keeping On.)
    We report our weight each Tuesday morning, and during the rest of the time ask questions or chat about progress. Look for the thread with May in the title and you will find us.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hello, Mandy, and a very warm welcome to our community! You might really enjoy the new 4 wk challenge entitled
    “Swing Into May, the Low Carb Way”. I just began it 3 days ago, and it already looks as though it is going to be
    a very lively thread! You will meet a community of us that have long term experience and success with the BSD,
    and you’d be very welcome. Lots of members who have had major success getting T2D into remission too, and
    they are always happy to share their experience and knowledge. Have a read through…Hope to see you there!

Very best wishes,

Allie

• posted by Sadteacher
    on

Hi Alliecat thanks for the reply…my aim is to dispose of my T2D as well as lose weight got support from friends at work but not the same as others going thru it too. Also my GP thinks it will fail….so obviously I am ingnoring him…..Today have spent going back and forth to the loo…peeing like a racehorse I think is the expression!! That could be why blood sugars are random!! Is this normal??
    Mandy

on

Hey mandy, as I am not pre or diabetic, I am sorry that I can’t help, but as the others say, there are other pages on here with lots of people with many experiences and so much advice to offer.
    I totally get the determination to prove your Dr wrong though, I have many people constantly asking me why I don’t just do slimming World or weight watchers, why do people always want to tell you what to do? So annoying. But I just say, that different things suit different people, and try not to engage too much. Hopefully the results will shut them up!
    So I am doing really well this first week, hunger levels right down, but the biggest drawbacks are feeding my children, not being able to have a drink (OK, I admit I had 2 glasses of prosecco on Fri and 1.5 today but I resisted pizza and even made a cake for my kids dad and didn’t have any.) and my tolerance levels just seem to be much lower than normal, getting frustrated and angry at work last week and much more short tempered with my kids. Really hoping that levels out soon.
    I have to also admit to adopting at least a can a day of sugar free fizzy drink. It seems to help with the carb/choc cravings.
    Ready for week 2. Feeling more confident with one under my belt.

• posted by Anyexcuse
    on

Hi
    I have just logged on for the first time in about a yr. I’m 44yrs old and the heaviest (inc during pregnancy..)
    I need to lose 3 stone. I started the BSD again 4 days ago.j would love to have some online support buddies.

on

Hi anyexcuse, you and I sound like we are at about the same point, welcome, there are lots of great threads around, but I also think it’s good to be with people at the same start and stage, so very pleased to welcome you back.

Have you started, or just about to? How did you do on it a year ago?

on

Hey Beth, Anise and anyexcuse, how’s it going? Managing to stick with it? My hunger had abated, but not the mental or habitual cravings for wine and carbs, and my mood has improved too, although starting last Mon coincided with my period, which probably didn’t help!

Please log in or register to post a reply.