13 SEPT – 8 NOV. Susie’s Time to Shine!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by susieb
    on

Hi, all.
    I’ve been dipping in and out of these forums for months but with only short-term attempts at the BSD. It is too easy to slip into the shadows and quietly return to old habits – so this time I have felt the need to start my own thread that I can write in daily to keep me motivated and accountable. If, in a few weeks down the line, any newbies come across this thread and they can see my updates and see what works for me (or not), hopefully it will be of some use to them.

This time I’m going to keep things as simple as possible. During my working week I will just alternate 2 choices of breakfasts, lunches and dinners, and try new dinner recipes on my days off. That way I can plan ahead weekly on MyFitnessPal and check macros – and repeat the following week so it doesn’t take up so much time.

I am aiming for <50g carbs and about 65g protein. I am worried about muscle loss so I will record my fat/muscle % too to see what happens.
    I plan to walk 10,000 steps per day and do bodyweight toning exercises 3 x times per week.

I’m 52 and 5’5”. I need to lose 44lb to get to my target weight of 9st 12lbs and a BMI of 23

I don’t have Diabetes but do have a huge belly due to my sedentary lifestyle/job and too much wine. My blood results were always in the normal range but this summer my blood pressure and cholesterol were both increased. This is my ticking time bomb and my motivation for change…

STARTING STATS
    Week 1
    13th September 2016
    Weight: 181.6lbs (12st.13.5)
    BMI: 30.2
    Fat % 44.6
    Muscle % 23.8
    Navel: 43” (eeek!!!)

I will update tonight!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Susieb, welcome to the losers club it is worth the effort. If you are worried about muscle loss then try to do some strengthening exercises, if you have the book they are in there. If not I can give you a routine that takes 10 minutes every other day. Also keep the fats up in your diet, it protects your muscles and prevents loss of ketones (others on here will tell you more on that), don’t be afraid of the good fats they will also boost your weight loss. Good luck and keep posting.

• posted by topcac
    on

HI Susieb – well done on making yourself accountable and on the start of your journey. I hope you find your online ‘diary’ useful – it sounds like a great idea and one that I might pinch (since I only started yesterday). I agree that making meals simple to start with is a great idea and will keep you focussed on the job in hand, rather than having to go shopping everyday because the meals you planned were so complicated that you forgot to buy half the ingredients – yes…I’m talking about me – D’OH – good luck and I look forward to your posts!

• posted by susieb
    on

Thank you, Sunshine-girl!
    Yes, I plan to do some toning exercises. I would be interested in seeing your 10 minute routine, if you have a moment!
    Thanks for the tip on keeping up the fats, I didn’t realise that they also protect the muscles. 🙂

• posted by susieb
    on

Ha, ha, Topac, yes, I’m keeping it simple this time!

Good luck on your 8 weeks – I look forward to following your simultaneous progress! 🙂

• posted by susieb
    on

Yesterdays food/ exercise:

Week 1: Day 1/56

LATE BRUNCH at 11am (16 hour fast): 2 medium egg omelette, chopped chill, red onion, 10g grated reduced-fat mature cheese, 1/2 small avocado, 1/2 grilled tomato.
    PM SNACK: 100g black-eyed beans, 2″ cucumber, tabasco, 25g cheese, 1/2 apple.
    DINNER: 140g salmon, 100g green beans, soy sauce
    Splash skimmed milk in tea & coffee

Calories: 795
    Carbs: 42g Fat: 41g Protein: 64g Fibre: 16g

Exercise: 14,000 steps.

Drank loads of water, pee-d for Britain.

This morning’s weigh-in….3lbs down. Whoosh!!!
    Bye-bye water from muscles! Fat, I’m coming for you next!

• posted by Tiredofthis
    on

Good luck – I’ve started today, so will follow you with interest 🙂

• posted by topcac
    on

Sounds amazing Susieb – I haven’t dared weigh myself yet! Day three for me and doing ok at the moment. Not felt hungry but have been drinking buckets of water and also peeing like a racehorse – may weigh myself on Friday….

• posted by Flash21
    on

This sounds great! I like your idea of sticking to the same set of meals and then experimenting when you have more time. I’ve just started a thread too, in an attempt to maintain accountability and motivation 🙂 Good luck! You’ll be at your goal in no time!

• posted by susieb
    on

Good luck, Tiredofthis! Look forward to hearing how you are doing.

Topcac – you most certainly will have lost water weight now, so a weigh-in now may give you a little boost. My official weigh -in is on a monday.

Hi, Flash21! Your own thread certainly helps accountability when you commit to writing in it everyday – good or bad (see my mistake below!) Good luck to you too!

Right, yesterday’s stuff:

DAY 2/56

BREAKFAST: (11am again) omelette, chili, onion, 10g reduced fat cheese, 1/2 grilled tomato. Splash of skimmed milk in tea.

LUNCH: not really. I had planned a Greek salad but I wasn’t hungry at lunchtime. I had a lot of running around to do in the afternoon, though, so I took 1/2 apple, a piece of cucumber and 30g feta with me to nibble on.This came to 117 calories. Just as well, because later…..

DINNER: homemade bolognese (using 500g minced beef = 5 portions), 220g courgetti, 30g reduced fat cheese. Really lovely!

Would have been great at:
    Calories: 735 Carbs: 32g Fat: 41g Protein: 56g Fibre: 7g (too low)

But…..couldn’t resist joining hubby with some red wine, and, later on because of that, I succumbed to a piece of garlic bread that he had left. It was yummy though!

Final score:
    Calories: 1425 Carbs: 74g Fat: 49g Protein: 60g Fibre: 8g well, at least it increased my protein and fibre! Lol!

Exercise: busy day, mostly in the car. 7,700 steps.

This morning, down 0.2lbs. Phew!
    I’m going to get going with more exercise today. Planning a nice walk at lunchtime!

• posted by topcac
    on

I actually couldn’t wait and weighed myself this morning – the start of day four – 5lbs down…in 3 days…WOO HOO!!!! Today I had a melon blueberry and spinach shake for breakfast (usually around 10am) – never again – I miss chewing!!! Plus I don’t know if it’s psychological but I have felt more hungry…so will have an omlette tomorrow and banish the shakes for good!!

Well done on your loss – despite the wobble – hopefully soon it will be the only wobbles that we have 🙂

• posted by susieb
    on

Well done on 5lbs down! I told you it would give you a boost!!!

I agree with you on shakes and smoothies – I just don’t get them! Real chewing food for me. I’m happy with my omelettes for breakfast, they do keep me full and I can vary them a bit.

I struggled with day 3 today, to be honest. I wonder if that’s because of the wine last night? It was a bit of a topsy-turvy day for me, I ended up eating my main meal at lunch and then only a light meal at dinnertime. All evening I’ve been ravenous and kept raiding the fridge. I tried to make all my snacking as low-carb as possible, though. I just needed to feel full. I snacked on ham and cheese and cucumber. In the end I made a hot drink and that seemed to soothe me…

So, over on calories today but still managed low carb, thankfully.

Day 3/56

BREAKFAST: 2 medium egg omellette, 30g smoked salmon Philidelphia, 50g wilted spinach.
    Splash of skimmed milk in tea and coffee
    LUNCH: strips of beef fillet stir-fried with strips of red pepper, onion and chili with 80g tinned black beans
    SNACK: 1/2 pot activia natural yoghurt and 3 strawberries
    DINNER: 1/2 portion bolognese with 200g broccoli, 10g grated reduced-fat cheese
    SNACKING: pot of Greek yoghurt, 4 slices ham rolled up with lettuce, onion and 30g cheese, cucumber, a little philidelphia.

Calories: 1223 Carbs: 56g Fat: 60g Protein: 112g Fibre: 16g

Exercise: at the moment I’m on 6,500 steps at 10pm. I’ll keep pacing the house till I can get that up as much as poss before husband gets home and thinks I’ve lost the plot!

Hoping for a better day tomorrow! Hope you all have a good one.

• posted by topcac
    on

HI susieb – you know what – whatever you do, it’s got to be better than what you WERE doing. For most, a 1200 calorie day is a brilliant day so keep positive and best of luck for today (not that you’ll need it I’m sure)

Day 5 and I feel a bit rough. Not hungry but tired and achey – I think it’s the final carbs letting go, unless I’m actually coming down with flu (unlikely)! When I got home last night my OH had made another shake for our breakfasts (we’re doing this journey together) stating that we had only used half the ingredients so needed to use up the other half. Grrrr….I nearly went all control freak on her but then decided I’d give it one more go and then that’s it – worse case scenario I lose more weight!!!

Drinking water like it’s my second job so that’s working well and flushing everything out. Have a walk planned for lunchtime with a colleague so hopefully will hit my 10k steps today – with two dogs as well, I usually make it!

Have a great day all xxx 🙂

• posted by topcac
    on

Is tiredofthis still around? I hope you’re doing ok – is it day three for you. If you’re having a rough time just come on here and we can maybe help. Let us know how you’re doing xx

• posted by susieb
    on

I haven’t seen any posts of Tired’s since the 14th on her 19th September thread. Hope she comes back soon.

Sorry to hear you’re feeling rough today Topcac. If it is carb flu, that’s kind of a good thing! Drink lots of water to get through it and you’ll be burning fat like a furnace in no time!
    I’ve yet to get to that stage, due to my wine blip the other night but I’m feeling very positive today and had my late brunch of omelette and avocado.
    Salmon planned for dinner tonight.

Hubby got home quite late last night so I managed to reach 10.4k steps, pacing like a mad woman.
    However, I gained 1lb this morning so that was quite disheartening – but I guess it’s strengthened my resolve in a way… but, I don’t think I’ll weigh again until Monday!

I’ve also tweaked my macros down to 30g carbs and see if that helps.

I’m working till very late tonight but I’ll check in with an update tomorrow.

Have a great day!

• posted by susieb
    on

Yesterday:

Day 4/56

BREAKFAST: omelette, cheese, onion, chili and grilled tomato
    LUNCH: Greek yoghurt, strawberries, 50g black beans with cucumber and slice ham
    DINNER: 125g salmon, green beans, soy sauce
    SNACK: wedge of brie

Calories: 1012 Carbs: 31g Fat: 69g Protein: 70g fibre: 12g

Exercise 15.5k steps

I know I said I wouldn’t weigh till monday, but I did – down 3lbs! Whooo hoo!

Please log in or register to post a reply.