An easy, Mediterranean style salad which is full of crunch and flavours. Contains plenty of healthy complex carbs and good fats to fill you up from the nuts, avocado and cheese.
• Any salad leaves you like. I like one bag of rocket and one mixed baby leaves..
• Hazelnuts and pine nuts, toasted - a handful of each. (the toasting brings out the flavour and crunch in the hazelnuts)
• Raw red pepper, sliced and diced 2
• Carrots 1 large or 2 small, Julieen’ed into strips
• Sweet grapes, halved. Half a handful
• Mediums sized Goats Cheese in a log
• 1 avocado diced
• A handful of green beans cut in half
• A handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
• Optional – a small handful of croutons. I use garlic and olive oil ones made with ciabatta which have a lower GI than normal bread.
• For the dressing: 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon squeezed lime juice
Add the salad leaves to the bowl. Chop the peppers, carrots and halve the grapes and the cherry tomatoes and chuck in bowl with the salad.
Toast the nuts in a small pan. Remove from heat and put to the side when lightly browned.
Slice the goats cheese log into slivers and toast on a dish under the grill (or for speed simply heat briefly in microwave)
Steam the beans
Add all the above to the salad and mix
Make the 50:50 fresh squeezed lime juice:olive oil dressing, salted and peppered to your taste - I use an old jam jar to shake it up and emulsify the oil before chucking it in and mixing it into the salad
And finally, but optional, for even more crunch add a few croutons. Each person will only get a few croutons, so hopefully not too sinful!