I’ve just started this diet and delighted to find this recipe. It is delicious and easy to make. Even my husband enjoyed it.
Pan-fried halloumi with a smoky caponata sauce – lovely veggie recipe.
• 125g of halloumi cheese
• 1 small red pepper - diced
• 1 small onion - finely sliced
• 4 chestnut mushrooms - roughly chopped
• 2 teaspoons of capers - roughly chopped
• 6 pitted black olived - sliced
• Half a tin of chopped tomatoes
• 1/2 teaspoon of hot smoked paprika
• 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
• 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
• Salt and pepper to taste.
Heat up half of the olive oil and gently fry the onion for about 10 minutes, adding in the oregano. Then add the red pepper, frying for a further 5 minutes until the pepper is softening. Add the mushrooms and cook together for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle over the paprika, stir well, add the capers and olives, cooking for a few minutes before adding the tinned chopped tomatoes. Simmer for a further 5-10 minutes. Turn the heat off and leave in the pan.
Heat the remainder of the olive oil in a frying pan and when hot, put the cubed halloumi into the pan, cooking until the halloumi is browned.
Put the caponata into a bowl and then add the halloumi on the top.