Will one latte a day keep the doctor away?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sunshine79
    on

Hi all, just about to start my BSD journey with my husband. I am Type 2 but my last Hba1C was pre diabetic level yay! I have hypos so I’m thinking my metformin is working too well 😅 I have a lot of weight to lose so looking forward to starting BUT I’m just not willing to give up one small latte (full cream milk, no sugar) I have each day. It’s my little cup of joy and I would really miss it and feel it could be my undoing if I stop. Thoughts!???!

• posted by Never Give Up
    on

Hello Sunshine – others with more experience on Type 2 diabetes can give much better thoughts in that area, but for me, having that a day works no problem with loss. As long as you count the carbs in your daily allowance and keep them low. (low is different for everyone but I tend to stay below 30g where poss.) It’s not sweet and is naturally occurring sugars in milk and keeps me in ketosis.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi sunshine from another sunshine. No your latte wont make any difference to your diabetes, although as Never Give Up says you must count the calories and carbs (about 3.8g per 100 mls). I would say though, you need to have a word with your doctor about maybe reducing the Metformin while on this diet. If s/he doesnt want to know (many dont) then I would suggest you recognise how you are feeling and adjust the diet. I found that I was going very low late afternoon especially as I swim but made sure I changed my meals, calorie intake so I could have a small snack at these times. Also I changed my diabetes panic snack from sweets, jam and bread, high sugar foods to healthier choices like a slice of ham or chicken, plain greek yoghurt with chopped prunes or apricots. Just take care and know the signs.

Can I just add that my fasting morning BG dropped from 280 to 160 within 4 days of starting the diet and within 3 weeks I was recording at a good 115 to 120. The diet does work – I now run at around 85 in the morning with no ill effects.

Please log in or register to post a reply.