why 800 calories

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi, On my second round of the fast 800 I have found that I am often eating 900 calories despite my best efforts. I am sticking to the principles though. I know Prof Roy Taylor’s research started with 600 calories, then went on to 800. He has said it doesn’t matter if you lose the weight fast or slowly as long as fat in the pancreas diminishes. I am just wondering if I often eat 900 calories, will it make that much of a difference to the remission of diabetes and weightloss. Any thoughts?

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Bigeater

Not sure if this helps but for the first 16 weeks I ate an average of 921 calories and 42g of carbs. I put my diabetes into remission, reduced my BP to normal, lowered my cholesterol and reversed the symptoms of non alcoholic fatty liver disease whilst losing 61lb. I would say that I am a large chap (I started at 329lb and am 6’3″ with a large frame) and I lost a lot of weight quickly, which I think was crucial in getting rid of the visceral fat. A bit of me says that the 800 is a goal and can’t be a magic number for everyone. I would just try what you can achieve and if you’re not getting the results, drop the calories a bit and see what happens. On 900 calories a day it would be amazing if you didn’t lose weight.

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi JulesMaigret, I am very impressed with your results! My hba1c is normal but I still have a little high fasting blood glucose. Interesting that you averaged 921 cals. I will see what I can achieve with similar. My first 8 weeks I did the 800 but finding it just a bit harder to achieve this time. I am losing weight on the 900 cals but sometimes it seems a little slow…. I was swimming a lot before and this burns up heaps of calories but now it is winter I am not inclined to take the plunge. Walking though.. Good luck on your journey and thanks for your reply.
    Bigeater

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Bigeater, the reason for 800 cals is because it is very do-able and you will still lose weight quickly, 600 is too low except for under strict medical supervision. The 600 on the 2 days of the 5:2 are also do-able because of the short duration but even that has been altered to allow 800 as it is easier to do than 600 (obviously).

Please log in or register to post a reply.